Just to be fair let's critique Losman's performance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drive 4 Five
    • May 2003

Just to be fair let's critique Losman's performance.

Admittingly, I do not subscribe to the Kelly Holcomb fan club. I have been a proud member of the JPD since its inception. However, if we are going to be critical of Kelly Holcomb's performance, then we should also take an honest look at how Losman fared.

My best friend TIVO and I sat down for several hours to do just that. Here are our thoughts about his performance. By the way, you don't need TIVO to see that our offensive line is just horrendous. Absolutley foul. Seeing how Carolina's 2nd team manhandled our 1st team, maybe we could afford to be a little more kind to Kelly Holcomb. Just a little.

While Losman's overall numbers were modest, I cannot dismiss that he had his share of poor throws. I saw comments earlier about his poor accuracy. I see the point now. While his numbers indicate a 62.5% rate, it should have been much higher because he missed some wide open throws. Like Holcomb, he easily could have been picked off and he probably should have at least once. He lucked out.

I guess the biggest issue I have with Losman is the inconsistency. He'll make the read, fire a bullet across the field in tight coverage, and hit the WR right in the numbers for an 25 yd. gain on 3rd and 8, but then come right back and ground a high percentage throw like the quick out or suffer a delay of game penalty or miss the wide open RB and force the throw downfield instead.

There is no question that J.P. has got some serious talent, the LIVE arm, the excellent speed and elusiveness, but if this performance is any kind of barometer, it still is not good enough. And while it is only the first preseason game, and it is still early, J.P. had better start making some marked imrovement and quickly if we are going to have any chance at a winning season.

In the end I cannot help but wonder how he would perform behind a decent offensive line. Hell I wonder how Kelly Holcomb would perform for that matter. It all begins and ends with the OL and right now I am not very encouraged. But it is early. There is still hope.
    Last edited by Drive 4 Five; 08-13-2006, 06:25 PM.
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Just to be fair let's critique Losman's performance.

Originally posted by Drive 4 Five
    I guess the biggest issue I have with Losman is the inconsistency. He'll ake the read, fire a bullet across the field in tight coverage, and hit the WR right in the numbers for an 25 yd. gain on 3rd and 8, but then come right back and ground a high percentage throw like the quick out or suffer a delay of game penalty or miss the wide open RB and force the throw downfield instead.

This is by far the best analysis of JP to date and the only issue he really has left to prove us on, is his consistency issues. He can have all world talent but without consistency it doesnt matter.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• TedMock
      • Jul 2002

great analysis. unbiased and true. you hit the nail on the head with regard to Losman's consistency problems. There is only one way to fix that problem...playing time. Repitition is the best way to gain consistency.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
        • Jan 2003

JP missed some throws this is true. It is even a concern to me that he skipped a couple of balls to people. That is the biggest concern though as he also showed that he has the ability to hit some throws. He looked MUCH more poised in the pocket as well. He also showed some quick decisions that were the right ones, including throwing off for a one or two yard gain instead of running for a one or two yard gain early.

As I stated in another thread I liked what I saw from him. Sure he was inconsistant, but he hasn't played enough to make him become more consistant and he WON'T become more consistant in another 3 to 5 games. He needs an entire season without having the hook three quarters of the way around his neck ready to pull him. I don't see why that is so hard to realize. This team is not on the brink of a superbowl let alone the playoffs. There are going to be so many young players learning their jobs this year and JP will be no different. Poor throws will come, but they will be/should be less frequent the more a person plays. He certainly won't get any better on the bench. I say start him or cut him.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by TedMock
          great analysis. unbiased and true. you hit the nail on the head with regard to Losman's consistency problems. There is only one way to fix that problem...playing time. Repitition is the best way to gain consistency.
          You beat me to it.

Comment

• TedMock
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
            You beat me to it.

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
              • May 2003

Ya'll don't be shy now and throw a litle PR down this way.

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                • May 2003

So I think we can all agree that Losman can only improve with increased repetitions. That said, I anticipate reading in Mikey's next camp report that JPL took all the snaps with the 1st unit. We got to get this kid ready for the season opener. He is our best chance.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

I agree that Losman was inconsistent. But how can he be consistent when they are either doing musical chairs w/ the qb position or changing systems.

Let's look at it from a different perspective. KH was in the same system last year that he's had for 9 years. He certainly had the advantage over JP. Now that they had to start from square one, the vet can't even beat out LOsman who btw is learning the same new system as KH.

Is it true old dogs can't learn new tricks? Maybe, maybe not. But KH sure is behind the learning curve in this situation.

JP was below average to average at best in the first preseason game. Then again, he's never had the oppurtunity to even settle down in the NFL. He was handed a job but didn't have the supporting cast to even get his feet wet. He had vet's who wanted to go w/ the more experienced one. Then there's the Headcaoch who had his head up his ass. Then qb musical chairs. Then a change in system.

JP would've been so much more ahead than where he is right now if he was in Eli's shoes. Even Ben would've been inconsistent if he was with the bills.

JP is where any qb in his shoes would've been.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ICE74129
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

Name for me a greatly consistant QB in the NFL. There are none. You JP haters are now trying to grasp straws to keep him on the bench.

62% is 62%. Consistant? I thought he looked damn good considering his OL was allowing guys to run at him untouched, Reed etal are getting hit in the hands wide open and dropping balls.

Stop the hate and please stop trying to hide it and find excuses while trying to SOUND like you aren't. I can take ANY QB in the NFL's game tape and find the exact same things you just pointed out with losman. 62% is 62%.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                      • Apr 2005

Silver lining to JPs bad throws, is the fact that they were underthrown. Better underthrown than overthrown.

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by ICE74129
                        Name for me a greatly consistant QB in the NFL. There are none. You JP haters are now trying to grasp straws to keep him on the bench.

62% is 62%. Consistant? I thought he looked damn good considering his OL was allowing guys to run at him untouched, Reed etal are getting hit in the hands wide open and dropping balls.

Stop the hate and please stop trying to hide it and find excuses while trying to SOUND like you aren't. I can take ANY QB in the NFL's game tape and find the exact same things you just pointed out with losman. 62% is 62%.

Holy **** dude! Are you implying that I am a closet J.P. Hater? Please tell me that you aren't serious.

Comment

• ICE74129
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Drive 4 Five

Holy **** dude! Are you implying that I am a closet J.P. Hater? Please tell me that you aren't serious.
                          Yes. Your thread is a joke. You werent unbiased at all. It was another shot at trying to find things wrong with the kid. And again, name for me QB's that perform up to the level you are trying to hold JP too and I will shoot ALL of them down. NONE are as 'consistant' as you want JP to be and that is with them getting EVERY Snap for YEARS with the first string offense.

Not being jerked around by a HC with a losing record and being forced to split time with a career backup. Name the kid the starter, let him take all the first string snaps and if he stays alive behind this crap OL, I bet he is much more 'consistant'. Funny how that works.

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                            • May 2003

Another shot? This is the first time, to my recollection, that I have ever said anything negative about JPL. I was simply trying to be honest. So I don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                              • May 2003

When I saw Losman's stats I was thrilled. However, after actually sitting down and watching every play, I think the stats are a little misleading and JPL needs to play better. For example, it is unacceptable for the offense to be getting delay of game penalties. That falls on his shoulders and he needs to get his act together. That is all I am saying. I'm not bashing him. I have been one of his biggest supporters I think but I am not going to sit here and make excuses for him either. It is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X