X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick76777
    • Jul 2002

NFL Refs are terrible.

Let’s face facts, the referees this week in the NFL were flat out terrible. Missed calls, phantom penalties and inexplicable whistles reigned supreme. These guys were not fit to call a peewee game at your local playground. It is blatantly obvious that the bad and missed calls clearly affected the outcome of several games this weekend.

But wait! Sometime in the past 10 years legions of sports fans and sports talk radio hosts decided that fans cannot under any circumstance blame the referee’s for a loss. It has somehow become unwritten rule numeral uno in sports conversation. It happens in every post game conversation, someone will place the blame on the refs and a score of onlookers will look on you with pity like your some wayward homer and explain that the refs cannot be blamed. It’s a load of garbage!

The talent in the NFL today is spread around so much that it’s very possible that the sixth seed in the playoffs could win the Superbowl. It happened last year. 5 years ago it would have been unheard of. 5 years ago, the 6th place team couldn’t win a single playoff game, and if they did manage to get past the first round they were usually dominated in round 2. The difference in talent from the best team in the league to the worst team in the league is marginal at best. Sure, other things like coaching, play calling, confidence, chemistry and momentum play a very big role in determining the outcome of a game but the fact remains that there are only 32 teams in the league and the 32nd ranked team can give the 1st ranked team fits.

This is a professional sport played at breakneck speeds at the highest level. Teams prepare for months for the season to begin. They practice in 100-degree summer heat perfecting their play. Then the season begins and in game one they fight and scratch and claw their way against another group of pros that worked just as hard just to have the referee make a call that baffles everyone in attendance and everyone watching on TV. Why is it that the referees can’t be blamed?

There were numerous examples over the weekend.

Sean Taylor getting a phantom pass interference call on Monday night.

The Giants getting called for a non-existent offensive pass interference call on the potentially game winning touchdown drive on Sunday night.

The Bills getting flagged numerous times in one game including 3 blocking in the back penalties in crunch time while the Patriots get flagged once despite running over the punter twice and holding all game. Infractions occur on every play in the NFL and the referees choose when to call them. It’s inexcusable to think that one squad could have 7 penalties and the other could play a perfectly clean game.

All that being said, whatever you do, don’t blame the referees! The sports fans Gestapo can’t wait to let you know how wrong you are. It doesn’t matter how close the games are or how bad the referees have screwed up, it has been ordained by a higher power that we can never blame the referees for a loss. I just don’t understand why.
    Resign our own guys!
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: NFL Refs are terrible.

Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
        • Jul 2002

Pat is pumped!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

Holler Patrick!

Comment

• mybills
            81 st zoner
            • Jul 2002

Go Patrick!
            Attached Files
            I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Cntrygal
              Visually stunning but camera-shy.
              • Jul 2002

5 Stars for you Patrick!
              Originally posted by notacon
              The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

that is one of the first posts of yours i have enjoyed in months.
                "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                  • Jul 2002

Are you a Patrick hater T?

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Jul 2002

Pat, I think they are having trouble adapting to the new unis.

I know Hockuli is pissed because the new stripes make him look fat.

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                      Are you a Patrick hater T?
                      i dont hate patrick.. i just think most of his posts this offseason suck.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Patrick76777
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                        i dont hate patrick.. i just think most of his posts this offseason suck.

That's only because I did the whole anti-JP thing. But I came around.
                        Resign our own guys!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

everything has come full circle!!! GO BILLS!

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

I agree. The worst infraction was missing the blatant facemask by Spikes on the Pats first offensive play. Instead of the Pats getting 15 yards and a first down, the Bills were spotted a 7 point lead to start the game. Completely changed the game.

Comment

• Devin
                              The Octagon
                              • Apr 2003

yeeeeesh that looks like it hurts.
                              http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

Working...
                              X