Its a good thing San Fran never gave up on Steve Young...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Its a good thing San Fran never gave up on Steve Young...

Considering how he played his first 3 years in the league. I mean its amazing what having good coaching and a good TEAM around you can do for a QB who is a 'Bust'. Or should I say a guy that just doesn't have 'it'.

Re: Its a good thing San Fran never gave up on Steve Young...

I do agree with you and I don't think there is anything left to be arguing with the JP haters as they will never change their minds.

I think that as we should do with all positions, that all of them will/should be considered at the end of season. This excludes the lines where we need to try to get any marginal/viable available FA and throw out the current trash like Gandhi and Tripplett taking whatever cap hit we have to.

It is a fact that JP has improved, but whether this will be sufficient to ever get us to the Super Bowl is open to question.

If a good QB is available in free agency in 2007 someone like Chad Pennington then they would merit a long look but not someone like Simms or Ramsay.

I am against trying to address this again in the 2007 draft as we need to look at top linemen on both sides, linebackers in case Fletcher-Baker leaves, tight end, and even the Defensive Backs before we consider a QB unless someone like Stanton has a freefall to Round 3.

If the QB issue needs to be addressed with the draft it should be no earlier than 2008 looking at Brian Brohm if he doesn't declare early or Kyle Wright etc. And this will have given Losman a proper season with proper protection and a full compliment of weapons i.e a top TE that all good QBs need. Personally I'd take Dan Graham rather than Jeremy Stevens as the latter has 'issues' ...

to date JP's seasons have been Season 1 - injured, Season 2 - poorly treated by coaches, Season 3 -dreadful OL and no TE worth the name as an outlet. For Season 4, we need to put him in a position where there is no place to hide with a reputable OL and a good TE.

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

JP Losman is not Steve Young. I hope JP gets his head together. As far as his physical tools he certainly has just about everything you would build into a QB if you were able to build one. But in all the time I've seen him play here I really don't feel we've seen the intangibles in him.

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

at Ice.

Good thing the Edmonton Oilers never gave up on Wayne Gretzky either

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
          Legendary Zoner
          • Jul 2002

For every Steve Young, there's an Akili Smith.

Comment

• RedEyE
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
            For every Steve Young, there's an Akili Smith.
            Actually, for every Steve Young ther are probably around 6 Akili Smiths.

Comment

• ICE74129
              Legendary Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Typ0
              JP Losman is not Steve Young.
              Prove it. You can't and you don't know. Steve young wasn't 'steve young' and was considered flat horrible and not an NFL calibre QB even after spending time in the USFL.

You don't give up on a talent like JP's esp when you have a crap team around him. Get him some playmakers, solidify the Defense and the OL. Then you can start making an informed decision about him.

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                at Ice.

Good thing the Edmonton Oilers never gave up on Wayne Gretzky either
                If you want to debate facts then debate them. Young sucked in tampa and wasn't that hot in San fran off the bat either. Young was on a crap team and so is JP.

You don't give up on QB's this soon in the NFL, not if you are smart.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                  Prove it. You can't and you don't know. Steve young wasn't 'steve young' and was considered flat horrible and not an NFL calibre QB even after spending time in the USFL.

You don't give up on a talent like JP's esp when you have a crap team around him. Get him some playmakers, solidify the Defense and the OL. Then you can start making an informed decision about him.
                  you want me to prove that JP Losman is not Steve Young? Are we talking dental records or DNA proof?

Comment

• ICE74129
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Typ0
                    you want me to prove that JP Losman is not Steve Young? Are we talking dental records or DNA proof?
                    You said he wasn't so prove it. You know what I am talking about so don't play stupid. I know its hard for you not to, but don't.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Jul 2002

Prove to me that JP isn't Cade McNown. PROVE IT!!!!!

Comment

• jmb1099
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                        Prove to me that JP isn't Cade McNown. PROVE IT!!!!!
                        That is Ice's point, not enough time to know either way

Comment

Again, I am not sold on JP as the QB of the future. However here is the facts:

1) all the pundits have said his first 2 seasons were wasted due to injury and mismanagment.
                          2) he has not been provided with an adequate OL or a proper TE. Even Campbell occasionally caught the ball.
                          3) he might make bad decisions but when you have to rely on Gandy covering your blindside even Tom Brady and Peyton Manning would be making bad decisions.
                          4) Leinart has had two good games, both losses in a climate controlled stadium and all of a sudden he's the league MVP? All would say that Grossman is playing very well except for last weeks faux pas and it has taken 4 seasons for him due to inury, mismanagement, coaching changes.
                          5) there are no real alternatives at present. Unless some good QBs get cut like Pennington there is little coming up in FA next year and trading for someone like Schaub carries the risks of another Rob Johnson
                          6) Losman has been improving. Admittedly from a low start point but improvement is improvement
                          7) We must not draft a QB in 2007. Why? Because he will be in the same boat as Losman. Next year we must focus on the lines. We need to bring in a QB in 2008 (maybe) who will be protected by a LT with at least a season under his belt like Ferguson at the Jets. When Clemens starts there next season he will be guarded by a player that has overcome his rookie season errors

Comment

• Inetpub
                            i'm a tool
                            • Aug 2006

ICE74129
                            Originally Posted by Typ0
                            JP Losman is not Steve Young.

Seriously this post is STUPID. We dont need to prove JP Losman is Steve Young. His name is JP LOSMAN! Your comparing a HOF QB to JP. LOL. Thats a big stretch there. Soon you'll be comparing dogs to cows. They are 2 different people. JP will never be Steve Young. Nor will he NEVER replicate Steves successes. He might win afew games but comparing a 3rd year unstable QB to a HOF QB, your out of your mind.

Also, We in the forums dont need to prove JP can play and win games like Steve Young. JP has to do that for us. So, unless he does that, JP will be compared to Akili Smith and Rob Johnson.
                            That proves NOTHING about Losman

Comment

• jamze132
                              Don’t hate…
                              • Jun 2003

It's amazing how much better a QB can play with a decent O-line.

Comment

Working...
                              X