• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Scathing column about Booger

McFarland deal all about a lack of production
    By Matthew Postins

The first Tampa Bay Buccaneers game I covered two years ago was against Kansas City. In that game, Anthony McFarland got hurt. I have to admit, I didn't notice that until well after the injury.

In the interest of this column I'm going to say it was less my falling asleep on the job and more McFarland's unremarkable last few seasons in Tampa Bay.

Dealing "Booger" to Indianapolis for a second-round pick next season should be a steal for the Buccaneers. They move a player who has been remarkable only in his inconsistency and his love for golf for a draft pick that could allow them to select a player that could bolster an aging defense.

Forget that McFarland was supposed to replace Warren Sapp, and that the Bucs paid McFarland $31 million to that effect. Forget that when he took over the under tackle position he said that was his more "natural" position. His on-field resume since Sapp's departure illuminates the reality.
    The Bucs made a big financial mistake investing in McFarland.

more here:
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: Scathing column about Booger

Yes it's true, he hadn't been as productive as he was before, but some people tend to think a change can do a player good. Marv apparently inquired about him, but was not prepared to surrender a high pick.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

the sad part: he's still better than anyone on our DL. So what if he's not Warren Sapp? He'd still be an upgrade over Tim Anderson.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

The price of a high draft pick for someone who might play better with new scenery. He could also play like Tripplett

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
          the sad part: he's still better than anyone on our DL. So what if he's not Warren Sapp? He'd still be an upgrade over Tim Anderson.
          So you're saying we should've brought him over and his cap? If he continues to suck you'd find something to whine about. Give me a break. Just because our DL isn't anything to brag about, it doesn't mean we have to sign just any DT out there. Our coaches are doing their homewrok. It's a work in progress. You gotta be smart about it. The Raiders way hasn't worked.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
            So you're saying we should've brought him over and his cap? If he continues to suck you'd find something to whine about. Give me a break. Just because our DL isn't anything to brag about, it doesn't mean we have to sign just any DT out there. Our coaches are doing their homewrok. It's a work in progress. You gotta be smart about it. The Raiders way hasn't worked.
            and neither has ours.

If it's not working they should do something to fix it. It's the middle of the season so options are limited- there's no guarantee that any of the available options would work out completely. But at least it's making an attempt to fix a problem. And also, it's not a huge risk to bring in someone to be an upgrade over Tim Anderson.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

and neither has ours.

If it's not working they should do something to fix it. It's the middle of the season so options are limited- there's no guarantee that any of the available options would work out completely. But at least it's making an attempt to fix a problem. And also, it's not a huge risk to bring in someone to be an upgrade over Tim Anderson.
              Do you understand what rebuild is all about?

You're talking about panic buying . It takes time. Sheez. It's simple football. Simple common sense. You can't fix everything in 6 games. Not even in the first year of rebuild.

His cap makes it a huge risk. He isn't playing up to par. Do you want another Posey?He was better than anything we had . How did that turn out?

You B1tched about Price and now you want another Price? Make up your mind. Sheez.You're just whining for the sake of whining , AGAIN.
              sacrifice1

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Do you understand what rebuild is all about?

You're talking about panic buying . It takes time. Sheez. It's simple football. Simple common sense. You can't fix everything in 6 games. Not even in the first year of rebuild.

His cap makes it a huge risk. He isn't playing up to par. Do you want another Posey? You B1tched about Price and now you want another Price? Make up your mind. Sheez.
                Last time I checked, our receivers situation was not nearly as desperate as our DL situation. But, you have a habit of making faulty comparisons so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you think every position on the field is exactly the same.

And you're saying we should just accept the fact that our DL is going to absolutely blow for the rest of the season? Great idea . We already know what we have in Tripplett and Anderson. Williams might get better, McCargo's injured. So if you actually buy this "we're rebuilding, it takes more than 6 games" in this instance, you're just kidding yourself. This DL will continue to get owned for the rest of the season.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Last time I checked, our receivers situation was not nearly as desperate as our DL situation. But, you have a habit of making faulty comparisons so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you think every position on the field is exactly the same.

And you're saying we should just accept the fact that our DL is going to absolutely blow for the rest of the season? Great idea . We already know what we have in Tripplett and Anderson. Williams might get better, McCargo's injured. So if you actually buy this "we're rebuilding, it takes more than 6 games" in this instance, you're just kidding yourself. This DL will continue to get owned for the rest of the season.

Faulty comparison? IN your head. You were *****ing about bringing in a mediocre player and now you want to bring in a mediocre player with a huge cap?

Where did I say I am just going to accept a crappy DL. You don't fix a DL by bringing in another crappy DL with a huge cap. DUH!!!! You have to be smart about it. So If we bring in McFarland and he craps , we're stuck with him and his cap when a probowl DT is available. Again, common sense.

Like I said for the sake of
                  sacrifice1

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Like I said for the sake of
                    yeah, you're right. Our DL blows and the FO isn't doing anything about it. I'm for the sake of . After all, why would any fan WANT this team to be able to stop the run? It's just so FUN watching the Lions rack up 130 yards on the ground against us!
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

yeah, you're right. Our DL blows and the FO isn't doing anything about it. I'm for the sake of . After all, why would any fan WANT this team to be able to stop the run? It's just so FUN watching the Lions rack up 130 yards on the ground against us!
                      Are you blind? They brought in Tripplett and drafted Mcargo and Kyle Williams. How is that "not doing anything about it" This team is young, DUH. It takes time for Rookies to adjust to the NFL and learn a new system .
                      And I thought FTP had no common sense.

Anyone who knows football knows that rebuilding takes time.

Bring in Mcfarland. Ha. *****ing about bringing in a mediocre player and then wants to bring in another one. Look, I'm not gonna turn this into another debate all day. Arguing with you lately is like aguing with FTP.
                      sacrifice1

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Are you blind? They brought in Tripplett and drafted Mcargo and Kyle Williams. How is that "not doing anything about it" This team is young, DUH. It takes time for Rookies to adjust to the NFL and learn a new system .
                        And I thought FTP had no common sense.

Anyone who knows football knows that rebuilding takes time.

Bring in Mcfarland. Ha. *****ing about bringing in a mediocre player and then wants to bring in another one. Look, I'm not gonna turn this into another debate all day. Arguing with you lately is like aguing with FTP.
                        Once again, you're convinced that every position is the same.

We had mediocre receivers when we signed Price. Mediocre DT's are an improvement over what we have.

And the FO addressed the DL in the off-season- it didn't work. So if they have an opportunity to make it better, why are you opposed to taking it?
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Once again, you're convinced that every position is the same.

We had mediocre receivers when we signed Price. Mediocre DT's are an improvement over what we have.

And the FO addressed the DL in the off-season- it didn't work. So if they have an opportunity to make it better, why are you opposed to taking it?

If you can't see that it's not about the position , like I said, it's like arguing with FTP.

If we bring in a mediocre DT and tie the cap, once a probowl DT is available we can't afford him because we already tied it up with the mediocre DT you brought in. A mediocre DT won't fix the DL.

There's also the LT or OL. You are b1tching about that too. Do you think we have a ton of cap to sign every position you are whining about?

You're way of thinking by bringing in mediocre players with huge cap stinks. If you arern't willing to wait for guys like Kyle Williams to develop or wait for a better DT to come along , let's not even draft anyone. Let's just trade away our draft picks for high priced mediocre players and then whine again when things aren't working. Great plan OP.
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

If you can't see that it's not about the position , like I said, it's like arguing with FTP.

If we bring in a mediocre DT and tie the cap, once a probowl DT is available we can't afford him because we already tied it up with the mediocre DT you brought in. A mediocre DT won't fix the DL.

There's also the LT or OL. You are b1tching about that too. Do you think we have a ton of cap to sign every position you are whining about?

You're way of thinking by bringing in mediocre players with huge cap stinks. If you arern't willing to wait for guys like Kyle Williams to develop or wait for a better DT to come along , let's not even draft anyone. Let's just trade away our draft picks for high priced mediocre players and then whine again when things aren't working. Great plan OP.
                            Yeah, you're right- it's much better to have 0 chance at winning cuz we can't stop the run.

And weren't you the one who was opposed to high priced FA's in the off season? but now you're saying we need to save cap space for a pro bowl DT? I thought high priced FA's didn't help. I thought that was Donahoe's method that got us in this situation in the first place.

Make up your damn mind.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

I'm not convinced that as he gets more experience, the guy we really need to make the DL stronger isn't already in a Bills uniform.

Kyle Williams.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X