• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

You want better OL? Fine!!!

Joe THomas has been likened to Ogden and Boselli. Kiper says he one of the best propsects at LT to EVER come out.

Hes probably a top 4 pick. If you want to get serious you trade up to get him, would it take alot? yep. But fans who are constantly complaining about the line should have no problem with that. Get it done if were serious, if not we are just doing more of the same.

In FA, sign Eric Steinbach, he will cost a fortune but is worth every penny. There will be a bidding war and again if were serious, we will do what it takes to win that war.

The point is, we are hypocrites if we want top notch anything and then wont b e willing to do what it takes to get it.

• DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: You want better OL? Fine!!!

You dont trade up to get a LT, with such a deep class, its moronic to do so

We wont sign Steinbach, can we afford it? Yes if some other things fall into place and Steinbach wants a realistic salary but some reports say he wants a deal similar to if not bigger than Hutch's, which is nuts.

Better off drafting two OT's and moving Peters inside.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• X-Era
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy
      You dont trade up to get a LT, with such a deep class, its moronic to do so

We wont sign Steinbach, can we afford it? Yes if some other things fall into place and Steinbach wants a realistic salary but some reports say he wants a deal similar to if not bigger than Hutch's, which is nuts.

Better off drafting two OT's and moving Peters inside.
      Great, so you want to draft lesser ranked players, and wont pay for the best OL talent you can get in next years FA.

No other LT prospect is even remotely on Thomas's level. No other FA at G is even remotely at Steinbachs level.

Thank you for making my point about how fans here arent willing to do what it takes. Next time your ticked about the line argue with yourself because your way of thinking represents the problem.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

'Win at all costs' usually leads to losing.

The "war" is a Super Bowl championship...drafting and signing FA's are battles along the way.

I'm not against drafting Thomas, but if the cost is prohibitive I'm not in favor of pulling the trigger and ignoring the possible consequences. Same with Steinbach or Starks.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
          Defies all logic
          • Oct 2006

I would be willing to put massive amounts of money into our line. Even if we cant trade up for Thomas, we should dump a lot of money into Steinbach. Its about time we get some premier linemen here.

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat

The "war" is a Super Bowl championship...drafting and signing FA's are battles along the way.

I'm not against drafting Thomas, but if the cost is prohibitive I'm not in favor of pulling the trigger and ignoring the possible consequences. Same with Steinbach or Starks.
            Thats all well and good. Theres no arguement that we shouldnt spend dumb money or make dumb trades.

However, who defines dumb? you? Draftboy?

What good does it do to complain about the line, call for huge upgrades, and then argue AGAINST any move that would do just that?

Would a trade up for the best LT in the draft hurt us? Maybe for THAT draft. We lose a few picks that could have been players. COULD have been. But if those players are just gonna be backups, we can sign some guys to fill in for what we lost.

Heres the problem. You guys want it all, you want a top OL, but you want to get it without having to give up money or draft picks. Ohh, well DUHH! Every other damn team in the league wants the same thing.

FA, the draft, its a battle with other teams. Its a war, its NOT a spectator sport where you can get what you need by just sitting back on your heels.

What would this team look like if we had moved up for D'Brick?

Just think about teams that have had success with average QB's because they have stud LT's, Hasselbeck, Warner, Bulger, even Fitzpatrick, Trent Dilfer.

Like I said, I can argue against the need for a stud LT, but I can also argue for it.

But dont think your gonna get one in the 2nd round or convert some college RT, or sign some second tier guy and make them one. WE JUST SPENT A DECADE ON THAT APPROACH AND IT DOESNT WORK FOR US!!!

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

Really? paying so much for Hutch didnt help an average QB like Brad Johnson?

Comment

• Lee-83
                Pro Bowl Bound
                • Oct 2006

1st i'd try to get Starks or Davis, then i'd worry about it in the draft.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

'Dumb' can't be defined until the player acquired performs on the field with the rest of the team. You can't come to a credible conclusion until you've got some evidence to substantiate the claim.

Marv and the Bill's FO were considered "dumb" for taking Whitner at 8...at this point, it's looking like quite the opposite.

Would I be willing to sacrifice a couple of draft choices to move up and grab an LT if I were completely sold he was the answer? Absolutely. But I'm not going to be in favor of pulling a Ditka and trade every pick I have for one guy. I'm not going to be in favor of trading all my day 1 slots to move up for just one player, either.

Would I be willing to pay a lineman big bucks in the free agent market? Absolutely. But I'm not in favor of giving a guy the best contract in the league at his position unless he's already proven that he is just that...the best.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                    I would be willing to put massive amounts of money into our line. Even if we cant trade up for Thomas, we should dump a lot of money into Steinbach. Its about time we get some premier linemen here.
                    Thank you, the saying "you get what you pay for" is a PROVEN FACT. Its sound thinking, again dont overspend. But use your damn cap space too. For the life of me I have NO idea why we would sit here with 11 mill in cap space.

We couldnt have paid 7 mill per (maximum amount, min is 4 mill per) and gotten Hutch? Its doing alot of good just sitting in our wallet right about now.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jp-era
                      Great, so you want to draft lesser ranked players, and wont pay for the best OL talent you can get in next years FA.

No other LT prospect is even remotely on Thomas's level. No other FA at G is even remotely at Steinbachs level.

Thank you for making my point about how fans here arent willing to do what it takes. Next time your ticked about the line argue with yourself because your way of thinking represents the problem.

And you just told everyone here you have yet to even look at the 07 NFL Draft.

I also dont blame every offensive problem on our line, I think a QB, a TE, a #2, and #3 WR are likely also needed. Along with maybe a new RB in two years.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

It's important to try and fill our O-line during the free agency period and not rely on drafting one particular guy who may or may not pan out. Of course we should draft the best O-line we can, but let;s not count on them to be a savior for a line. We need to start building a successful line through FA and gain depth through the draft.

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

'Dumb' can't be defined until the player acquired performs on the field with the rest of the team. You can't come to a credible conclusion until you've got some evidence to substantiate the claim.

Marv and the Bill's FO were considered "dumb" for taking Whitner at 8...at this point, it's looking like quite the opposite.

Would I be willing to sacrifice a couple of draft choices to move up and grab an LT if I were completely sold he was the answer? Absolutely. But I'm not going to be in favor of pulling a Ditka and trade every pick I have for one guy. I'm not going to be in favor of trading all my day 1 slots to move up for just one player, either.

Would I be willing to pay a lineman big bucks in the free agent market? Absolutely. But I'm not in favor of giving a guy the best contract in the league at his position unless he's already proven that he is just that...the best.
                          Then we are in screaming agreement.

What Ditka did was insane. But would should we pay what the chart says to move up for Joe Thomas? yes I think so. But we dont know where we will be. It could only be a few spots.

Did Hutch deserve to be the highest paid G? I think so, I think hes the best G there is in the NFL.

So we agree, you pay for or trade up for top talent as long as we arent getting raped.

I feel its time to do just that, get the best you can and start turning the tables.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Really? paying so much for Hutch didnt help an average QB like Brad Johnson?

At 3-2, Id say he isnt doing a whole hell of alot, but now your argument will be that the OG cant do everything right? Well you need to more clearly define your argument then.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Then we are in screaming agreement.

What Ditka did was insane. But would should we pay what the chart says to move up for Joe Thomas? yes I think so. But we dont know where we will be. It could only be a few spots.

Did Hutch deserve to be the highest paid G? I think so, I think hes the best G there is in the NFL.

So we agree, you pay for or trade up for top talent as long as we arent getting raped.

I feel its time to do just that, get the best you can and start turning the tables.

The chart is nice and all, but when your dealing with top end picks, the chart isnt reliable. It just doesnt make sense, esp after the Saints deal, it screwed everything up. Atlanta moved, a 1st, a 3rd, Tim Dwight, and 2nd the next year to move up 4 spots. Im not willing to do that with this team. Too many holes, you dont deal up when we got two to three tackles behind Thomas capable of doing the same type of job without the injury history.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X