Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

dude.. go back and look at his drafts and rethink that last statement.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

I don't think TD is too concerned about receiving at the tight end position. JR is not a big loss for us especially if we keep price.

Comment

• Billz_fan
        • Jan 2003

We let JR go and signed a guy who had equal stats for a lesser team and saved money in the process.

Man what a bonehead TD is
        The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• jdbillsfan
          • Oct 2002

Cambell has been in the league 5 years and these are his career highs:

25 Receptions
          179 Yards
          7.2 Avg.
          3 TD

Jay R. had a down year but still had 32 receptions with 350 yards and his career highs are much better than Cambell. I am not saying we should have kept him, I am just saying Cambell didn't have equal stats.

I just look at a team who is actually filling their needs with quality players, like the Redskins. They had a need for Guard and DT. They sign the 2 best guards available and also probably sign Noble.

We have a need for DT, LB, TE, etc. etc. and we sign Jeff Posey and Mark Cambell???

Comment

• Wys Guy
            Drew and Sam stole all my hair
            • Jul 2002

It's just an opinion y'all! Easy, Geez!

Sure he's "fixed our cap" but let's look at what TD's brought in shall we:

In: Jenkins, C. Johnson, Huntley, Robinson, Fletcher, Teague, M. Price, Bledsoe, Moore, Ahanotu.

Jenkins was a bust. Johnson, Huntley, and Moore barely played and were not used. Teague was signed as a weak OT and switched to C b/c he wasn't good at OT, he was overpaid for a C. Fletcher was OK, but not great no matter how you slice it. M. Price was a solid backup, but we had no injuries, so it'll be interesting to see how he plays for 8 games if that happens. Robinson SUCKED! Ahanotu was a starter, but did nothing great. He isn't fast, and isn't a playmaker. Bledsoe, well, enough said there.

It's no wonder he "fixed the cap" w/ talent like that. That really isn't a miracle. It's good cap managment, not spectacular. Especially since Teague is overpaid and was totally out of position last year and we could have had "in position players" for less.

The draft, what, a gimme pick in Williams, a lucky leftover b/c no other teams picked Reed, both great picks, but let's get real, no-brainers. After that, only Wire and Thomas. That's it. The rest will be lucky to be around, perhaps as early as this year. If our draft this year yields only three players, then it'll have been OK, but not great. We don't have a first, so the 2nd had better pan out! Bannan and Denney were wasted picks.

Let's see how TD does w/o a first rounder! I'm not saying he sucks, but I am saying that we could have done more w/ what we had for sure. He's signed quite a few worthless players, more than ones that made enormous impacts, which was essentially Drew. Fletcher is good, but not great by any stretch. I don't think he's as good as what we all thought or what the FO thought we were getting.

Why is it that anyone who expresses such an opinion is berated?

Campbell? Posey? Big deal! It's fun to hope and think positively, but looking at those signings straight up and practically, let's get real here, they're not gonna improve the team. They're depth acquisitions. If we're starting Posey and don't sign a marquee DT then we're gonna be in a world of hurt again on D as or rush D allows another 130 YPG.

So until TD signs a big name or even underrated DT like Thornton, then he hasn't addressed the Bills primary defensive need. And if he thinks he's gonna find that in the draft in round 2, then he's sorely mistaken. The only DT who played well enough as a rookie last year was Haynesworth who was a high first last year.

In the meantime, I sure hope last year's FAcy isn't what we get this year; a bunch of washed up and second tier players who "we're told" will be what they weren't b/c they're in Buffalo now.
            Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
              Drew and Sam stole all my hair
              • Jul 2002

I agree jd, while everyone seems to think that Posey's a god and Campbell is gonna somehow do what he's never done, I'm thinkin' these are the good depth and situational picks that we needed, but they aren't going to improve our D.

Thornton will. Peterson will. Scioli will. Spikes will. Douglas will.

But count on one of those unless we do something w/ Price. If TD is to get this much credit, then Price will be gone by next weekend and it'll have been worth the week that we tied up the bucks.

TD's gonna look like a heel if Price signs the offer b/c he and his agent see that no team is gonna pay that kind of money and give up a first rounder for a WR who's had one good season.

So until that happens, and until we sign a DT that we need to close down our rushing D, I'm more with you than on the "TD's a genious" side.

Man, just like in N.E., Bledsoe comes here and TD's a genious. W/o that Bledsoe deal, TD's "work" would have been mediocre last year! And it's very arguable that we would have been better last season w/ another $4-5M spent on D with Blake in here for cheap.
              Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Jeff1220
                H to the 12:20
                • Jul 2002

Check out this thread that Philster started over on the Brownies' site:

It seems that Browns fans mostly like this guy. They say his hands are great - "like a vacuum" and that he will be a real asset on the goalline. They also said that he is an average blocker, but that being around Couch has hurt his production (they seem to think he'll do better w/Drew)

Comment

• jdbillsfan
                  • Oct 2002

I totally agree Wys. I have been a little sarcastic in this post, but after three years I am starting to get annoyed with some of these moves. After last offseason, I don't have high hopes for signing some of the top FA's, so until that happens, and while we keep signing backup players, I am going to be frustrated.

So far we have almost spent 2 mil on guys no other team wants and who we are hoping are going to be good, instead of actually picking up proven commodities. (I think we are down to about 6mil now?)

My prediction is for the rest of the offseason:

We get Barber, who like Fletcher is decent and is an upgrade to what we had, but not a game breaker or difference maker. Also like fletcher, undersized. Though, it will be ok, it will not bring the excitement of someone like Spikes. We will then have a small LB corp behind a line that can't stop the run. Probably pick up some more ex steelers or titans who are towards the end of their career. Maybe some more players who were injury prone, but never got to prove themself, career backups, players who have been cut 8 times (just weren't in the right systems) etc. etc. etc.

We will do well in the first round or two of the draft and then start drafting no names who will probably make the team and add more depth without providing any quality starters.

Then we will play hard ball with our signings next season. Probably lose someone we should have signed. Blame the .500 season on coaching maybe. Realize that GW maybe wasn't the right person and then start from scratch.

You heard it hear first!

Comment

• The_Philster
                    • Jul 2002

Nice to see I got some responses over there so quickly.
                    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• jdbillsfan
                      • Oct 2002

I could maybe see picking up these two guys after we have already signed our primary targets and have extra cash, but I don't see lowering our cap space on these guys before signing top players. I don't think there would have been a mad rush to run out and sign Jeff Posey and Mark Cambell.

Comment

• Billz_fan
                        • Jan 2003

Well Im not "in the know" enough on the inside of the bussiness of being GM etc. to be able to say that all the things we want/need could be achieved in the desired order of most needed/least needed.

So that means Im not sure either way and you may be correct.

I do have faith however that TD will get the players needed to do get us over the hump and into the post season.

It may be just the case of timing with these two signings. That they were available and the price was right so why not get it out of the way now.

Posey and Cambell weren't at the top of my free agent list either. I am willing to tow the line untill the team doesn't produce. When that happens I will call for the heads of the staff just like everyone else

The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

Well said, BillZ

LMAO at Wys.

Everybody gets flustered about Huntley, even though he didn't prevent us from getting anybody else and never made the team.

People think we had a ton of cap space last season, when we really didn't. We got our Marquee guys in Bledsoe ( a bargain in cost of picks and cost against the cap) Fletcher, and 3 good players in Teague (overpaid for a center, but cheaper than a backup center, guard, and tackle combined- in which he can play as well) , Dave Moore and Mike Hollis. The rest were to fill out a roster with cheap veterans.

Now, we have room to get 1 or 2 more marquee guys, along with more decent players. (Like Posey, McKenzie)

As far as it being another dissapointing off season, I really don't know where you've been the past 2 years. Please post who would have come here last offseason that we neglected to bust the bank for.

Comment

• jdbillsfan
                            • Oct 2002

James Farrior, Josh Evans to name a couple.

Does losing Newman and getting Posey really make a difference?

Comment

• brownsonthebrain
                              • Mar 2003

Mark Campbell was my man. He was consistent all season. He does not do anything really well, but he works hard. He's got good hands can block pretty well. What got him traded was, he's slow and isn't going to break tackles. IMO
                              He sat out the 2001 season, played hard all year long in 2002.
                              I felt then, as I do now, that with some better conditioning he could be a solid addition to your team. Not starter material now, but a solid capable, dependable backup. The kind you need.

You got a good player and didn't have to give up much to get him.

So sad to see him go . . .

good luck guys!

Comment

• Herdwatcher
                                One out of many
                                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                                Take it easy guys, I think JDbillsfan just misses Wade, Maulk ,Jones and Rob Johnson.

Can you blame him! "Rob Johnson" A Buffalo Icon!
                                Pounding the world like a battering-ram!

Comment

Working...
                                X