• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff1220
    H to the 12:20
    • Jul 2002

Re: OL is no longer priority #1

Originally posted by Scumbag College
    Preston is OK as a backup C or G, but I don't think he is the answer as a starter. I wouldn't mind the Bills getting a run blocking monster guard in the second round.
    Depending on what happens in free agency, I think at this point the Bills first priorities are DT and a #2 receiver to start opposite Evans. A close second would be a run blocking, mauler of a OG.
    Right here - FA after this season, I believe:
    # 65 Eric Steinbach
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Position: G
    Height: 6-6
    Weight: 290
    Born: 04/04/1980
    College: Iowa
    NFL Experience: 4

...and he's a durable player too:
    Year Team G GS
    2003 Cincinnati Bengals 15 15
    2004 Cincinnati Bengals 16 15
    2005 Cincinnati Bengals 16 16
    2006 Cincinnati Bengals 12 12
    TOTAL 59 58

Comment

• Kerr
      Hall of Fame Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Has tripplett even done that well vs the run? I mean indianopolis had him as a backup his last seasons over there. Now there's no way you could have tripplett as a backup after paying him that money to come here. We'll just need a real large man to pair up with Tripplett whether through FA or the draft. Get rid of Anderson and leave Williams and McCargo as backups.

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        I disagree Pat.

Kelsay/Denney are doing OK. They get pressure.

The middle of the O-line still needs help. I am not sold on Preston and Gandy is very possibly gone (who replaces him on the current roster?). RT is still a question, although Pennington clearly has ability.

I would like to see one more DT (depending on McCargo). But even when it comes to Williams, it often takes a DT a few years to develop.

I would also perhaps place a receiving threat at TE higher on the priority list, as well as re-signing Nate.
        "OK" is not good enough... If we dont need a new starting DT and DE, then someone tell me what do we need to make our run defense not be awful?

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• mysticsoto
          Too sober for this...
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Kerr
          Has tripplett even done that well vs the run? I mean indianopolis had him as a backup his last seasons over there. Now there's no way you could have tripplett as a backup after paying him that money to come here. We'll just need a real large man to pair up with Tripplett whether through FA or the draft. Get rid of Anderson and leave Williams and McCargo as backups.
          I'll agree with this. Let's allow time for Williams and McCargo to hopefully develop and get a big guy there to help stop the run.

DT is probably the #1 position to fill. It would be nice if we could get a tall, speedy receiver next to Evans...but I'm starting to think that we might need to supplement our LB corps with TKO not returning 100% and the possibility and maybe likelihood of losing Fletcher. Ellison was a good, speedy pickup, but given that our Dline is pretty porous means we have to ensure that our LBs are speedy and good tacklers! A top Guard maybe in the 3rd rd will probably be needed also. Of course, all this depends on FA signings, but those are probably our top needs regardless. Signing Clements and extending McGahee will ensure that we can focus on these 3 holes we will have and perhaps ensure that we are a better team next year!

Comment

• eyedog
            • Jul 2002

They also need some linebackers on this team. TKO is not the same, Fletcher is nothing more than average, Crowell is decent, Ellison is undersized, and they have absolutely no depth at all.
            And what about Whitner. he's been a disappointment in my eyes. I expected much more. His play has been ordinary/average at best.
            I'll say it again, you don't take a safety with the 8th pick in the draft.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              "OK" is not good enough... If we dont need a new starting DT and DE, then someone tell me what do we need to make our run defense not be awful?
              Give Williams a chance to develop and see what McCargo can do?

LT has ran for 170+ yards on many teams. The Bills had less than 70 ruching yards yesterday. Is that good enough for you?
              Originally posted by mysticsoto
              Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Akhippo
                • Nov 2002

We've been run on by every team this year.
                A filler of a DT is priority. We have four DL that spin and run themselves out of the play. Thats opens alot of holes.
                A big, stout MLB. Fletcher is good and the heart of the D, but an upgrade is needed to become good.
                A big mauler guard. The pass protection has actually been pretty good. However, to win you need to run and that isnt happening.

I like the receivers. If utilized correctly, like in NE, they are good. I cant believe I actually like when Josh Reed is in the game. Price has actually come through when asked, but a #2 with size wouldnt be bad.

Drafting today
                1. Linebacker
                2. DT
                3. OL
                4. Running back
                Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

Here we go

R1 - trade down for Posluzny or Willis at LB
                  R2 - Greg Olsen TE and cut Everett
                  R3 (ours) Justin Harrell DT (if recovered from bicep injur)
                  R3 (xtra) Doug Free OT (back up for Peters)
                  R4 - Eric Weddle - depth at CB and S
                  R5 - TRADED
                  R6 - Clifton Dawson RB; 5ft10, 198 lbs support for A Train on 3rd downs
                  R7 - Damion DeRosia NT 6ft5, 320lbs, Saginaw Valley St

In a ideal world I would like to trade McGahee to the Jaguars for a No2 in 2008 and Elvis Wilford WR.

Olsen and Wilford give us two new receivers over 6ft4, Harrell and DeRosia offer size in the middle. Posluzny or Willis give us cover for the FB or TKO decision, Free gives us a true LT cover if Peters gets injured or needs to move to the right, Weddle gives us top safety cover and has shut down Calvin Johnson whilst playing at CB, A-Train can carry the load for a season and there is a lot of exciting RBs in 2008

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                    Defies all logic
                    • Oct 2006

OL is still priority numero uno. Our suspect OL was exposed against a good defense versus San Diego. We need more help in the interior and a solid RT would help even more.

I'm surprised at some of these drafts, you would think Tom Donahoe is our GM again.

Comment

• onceproudbillsfan
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Elminster
                      You don't need two piles of flesh in the middle to stop the run. Last I checked, the Bears were pretty good at it, and their heaviest DT is 318...and he's not even the starter. The starters weigh in at 300 each. We simply need to get stronger not fatter, and that DOES entail adding a little weight for more muscle mass. But yeah....I'd agree that something needs to be changed on the DL though. They surrendered nearly 200 yards on the ground, and that's just unacceptable if we want to become a good football team.

As for runningback....I'm beginning to believe it. McGahee doesn't have a future here, of that I'm certain, unless something suddenly changes. Look for us to pick a back this year to groom as his replacement...
                      I live in Northwest Indiana so you dont have to tell me who the Bears have on their team. I guarantee you that their D-line outweights our D-line. Tommy Harris is probably one of the best if not the best defensive tackles in the game. It is a proven fact here in Buffalo when you had the big guys in the middle that we were at the top in run defense in the league.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

But that ws with a different defensive system. This defense is not condusive for big fat DT's/
                        Originally posted by mysticsoto
                        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                          Defies all logic
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          But that ws with a different defensive system. This defense is not condusive for big fat DT's/
                          A big strong DT would work as well! Alan Branch anyone??

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                            A big strong DT would work as well! Alan Branch anyone??
                            I think Justin Harrell could do just as well and may be a better fit

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                              Defies all logic
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by kernowboy
                              I think Justin Harrell could do just as well and may be a better fit
                              I respectfully disagree kerno. While I'm not saying Harrell is going to be a bad player, I'm saying that Alan Branch is going to be an ABSOLUTE BEAST! Imagine him lining up next to McCargo. Holy SHMMMOKES! He is possibly the only player I would take over Jake Long or Leon Hall, he is going to be THAT good.

Comment

He could be another Gerald Warren or Albert Haynesworth though - good but a better player in college. Plus can he play the Tampa2?

Comment

Working...
                                X