DE Anthony Hargrove-Played inside and outside and made a visible difference
    CB Jabari Greer-ST and depth player
    CB Kiwaukee Thomas-Played well when given time
    S Coy Wire-ST gunner, and showed surprisingly good depth

Cut:
    QB Kelly Holcolmb-Do I need a reason?

Sign:
    RB Musa Smith-Power runner, could be a good Brandon Jacobs
    WR Mike Furrey-Came on strong at the end of the year could be an ideal Don Beebe type
    TE Daniel Graham-Would be my #1 priority FA this offseason
    TE Visanthe Shiancoe-Would only be picked up if we fail to get Graham
    OG David Diehl-Ideal OG for our road grading O, shouldnt be overly expensive with most high cap teams concentrated on Steinbach
    OL Cosey Coleman-Versatile player who could do for us what Gandy did but better
    CB Ricky Manning Jr-Could be a starter for us oppositte Mcgee
    LB Boss Bailey-Will push Spikes, or start if we move Crowell inside
    LB EJ Henderson-Could be an impact MLB with his quick lateral movement

Draft:
    1. DE Jamaal Anderson-Arkansas
    Ultra Quick DE who has the size to be a dominant pass rusher in this league for years to come. Led SEC with 13.5 sacks and finished 2nd in the SEC with 19.5 tackles for loss. Would be a great compliment to Schoebel who is weak against the run.

2. LB Brandon Siler-Florida
    Incredible quickness and has a nose for the football. Had 77 tackles for the national champs and was one of the leaders for the Gators this season.

3. CB Eric Wright-UNLV
    Good speed CB who has the uncanny ability to be able to locate the ball already in air. He is younger and has little experience but yet has shown flashes in limited time. Also a returner

4. RB Lorenzo Booker-FSU
    One word can potentially describe Booker-Gamebreaker. Anybody who has followed his career knows that this kid can take the ball to the house on any play. He is special and his career has been marred by injuries and a putrid FSU offense.

6. QB Chris Leak-Florida
    Everybody saw what he can on the national stage against Ohio State but unless he comes up big at the combine and senior bowl he still may be sitting here and he would be a steal this late. Ideal 2-3 year backup and could challenge JP in a few years or be used as trade bait ala Matt Schaub.

7. WR Matt Trannon-Michigan State-Everybody is calling him this years Marques Colston, Im not going to annoint him anything, other than a versatile player with great size, good speed, and catches the ball at its highest point. He also goes over the middle.

Analysis:
    I think our team is pretty solid overall, I think we need to increase the pass rush to make the Cover 2 more effective, while also beefing up our LB corp. Adding Bailey, Henderson, and Siler to our current crop we would be dominate and also be deep. We will need it also because our CB's are going to take a hit with losing Nate, so Ko and Donte have to step it up. I think our OL was solid near the end of the year and I dont want to mess with that too much other than Diehl for a new starting guard. Furrey could be an amazing under the radar pickup for us, should we get a shot.

So now it begs the question; Is this realistic?

I think so, none of the picks need to fall a ton or are big reaches and all the FA's are within our price range, will we sign that many? I doubt it, but who knows with Levy in year 2.
    Last edited by DraftBoy; 01-14-2007, 07:49 PM.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: My 2007 Offseason

I like the re-signings and cutting Holcomb, but think the FA list is too ambitious...if we get half of those guys I'd be pretty happy.

I find it interesting that you went against conventional wisdom (at least as far as these boards are concerned) and stayed away from the DT position. Was that intentional?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
      I like the re-signings and cutting Holcomb, but think the FA list is too ambitious...if we get half of those guys I'd be pretty happy.

I find it interesting that you went against conventional wisdom (at least as far as these boards are concerned) and stayed away from the DT position. Was that intentional?

Very much so, we spent big money on Tripplett last year and I thought he played rather well, while some may disagree. We also spent a 3rd and 1st last year on McCargo who was mostly hurt and I dont see us using two 1sts on DT's. Kyle Williams was a beast for us last year and Hargrove can move inside if need be. We may pickup an extra one but I was pretty happy with our DT's. I was one who didnt think the middle was the problem of our Run D, I thought it was our ends.

I agree the FA may have been too ambitous but its more realistic then saying we'll sign Clements, Steinbach, June, Graham, and all the other top end FA's.

No thoughts on the draft picks?
      COMING SOON...

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

I'll defer to your opinion on the draft, DB...you're a helluva lot more knowledgeable than I am at that.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
          !?!?!?!?!?
          • Mar 2006

dude if half of that happened it would be sickk!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BILLSROCK1212
            dude if half of that happened it would be sickk!!!!!

Still wouldnt make us a playoff team imo, but itd be a great step fwd.
            COMING SOON...

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
              !?!?!?!?!?
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by DraftBoy
              Still wouldnt make us a playoff team imo, but itd be a great step fwd.
              a huge step forward!!!!

Comment

• mysticsoto
                Too sober for this...
                • Apr 2004

Very much so, we spent big money on Tripplett last year and I thought he played rather well, while some may disagree. We also spent a 3rd and 1st last year on McCargo who was mostly hurt and I dont see us using two 1sts on DT's. Kyle Williams was a beast for us last year and Hargrove can move inside if need be. We may pickup an extra one but I was pretty happy with our DT's. I was one who didnt think the middle was the problem of our Run D, I thought it was our ends.

I agree the FA may have been too ambitous but its more realistic then saying we'll sign Clements, Steinbach, June, Graham, and all the other top end FA's.

No thoughts on the draft picks?
                Well, I have to say I disagree with you, I thought our DTs were much more the problem than the DEs were. I think it is much more critical to get another DT to replace Tim Anderson on the 1-gap side. While Kelsay/Denney were merely average, they did decently well between both of them. Given that, I'd still let Kelsay go and move Hargrove to play DE which is his natural position instead of DT.

B'cse of this, I like Okoye in the 1st rd.

I would also re-sign A-Train - which you neglected to mention in your post and I would cut Coy Wire. Matt Bown should be our depth at S and maybe another lower round pick with speed (Roderick Rogers maybe ?).

If we sign someone like EJ Henderson, our need for LB diminishes though I'd still might want to pick one reasonably high as backup just in case we have more injuries, or in case TKO just never recovers...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                  Well, I have to say I disagree with you, I thought our DTs were much more the problem than the DEs were. I think it is much more critical to get another DT to replace Tim Anderson on the 1-gap side. While Kelsay/Denney were merely average, they did decently well between both of them. Given that, I'd still let Kelsay go and move Hargrove to play DE which is his natural position instead of DT.

B'cse of this, I like Okoye in the 1st rd.

I would also re-sign A-Train - which you neglected to mention in your post and I would cut Coy Wire. Matt Bown should be our depth at S and maybe another lower round pick with speed (Roderick Rogers maybe ?).

If we sign someone like EJ Henderson, our need for LB diminishes though I'd still might want to pick one reasonably high as backup just in case we have more injuries, or in case TKO just never recovers...

I made a post in one the game threads counting how many times we got run on inside and outside and what the avg per carry was, and it was obvious we were getting burned much more to the outside than the inside. A new DT will do nothing to help that, we have nobody capable of playing the run on our DE's. Aaron is horrible at it, and the others arent worth mentioning.

I wouldnt resign Atrain...what did he do for us? He had a couple of ok games? Id rather draft a scat back and sign a cheaper short yardage back.

Wire is a FA, so he doesnt need to be resigned but he is a key ST'er and played well when given a shot this year. Im all for signing Henderson then picking Siler up in round 2.
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

• mysticsoto
                    Too sober for this...
                    • Apr 2004

I made a post in one the game threads counting how many times we got run on inside and outside and what the avg per carry was, and it was obvious we were getting burned much more to the outside than the inside. A new DT will do nothing to help that, we have nobody capable of playing the run on our DE's. Aaron is horrible at it, and the others arent worth mentioning.

I wouldnt resign Atrain...what did he do for us? He had a couple of ok games? Id rather draft a scat back and sign a cheaper short yardage back.

Wire is a FA, so he doesnt need to be resigned but he is a key ST'er and played well when given a shot this year. Im all for signing Henderson then picking Siler up in round 2.
                    Was this a particular game or throughout the season? I seem to have it engraved in my mind that it was much more up the middle. Sadly, I didn't keep any of the games to go back and watch, but I remember getting burned much more up the middle...

The A-Train is a good backup - he's not starting material, but he's a good N/S runner and...didn't he get us a 100 yd game when Willis went out? I think he is fine and if we want a scat back we should be using Shaud - which we never do. I think Jauron prefers a strong, power runner as a backup.

Wire is a liability for a team that needs speed. He therefore cannot play S and even as a LB, he will not be able to keep up with TEs - his coverage skills are atrocious anyway. His STs play had been good, but last year his name was hardly pronounced on ST, and Andre Davis was the one making plays. With roster spots being important, we can't keep 3 players on board strictly for STs. One of Aiken, Davis or Wire will need to go and if it's up to me, I choose Wire - although Aiken is very close to the edge also!

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                      Defies all logic
                      • Oct 2006

I really like the Booker pick the most, he shows alot of potential but he can be taken later in the draft which is a plus. Nothing against Anderson but I don't think DE is atop of our priorities. I would rather trade down and take Posz or Willis in the 1st rather than Siler in the 2nd..

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
                        !?!?!?!?!?
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                        I really like the Booker pick the most, he shows alot of potential but he can be taken later in the draft which is a plus. Nothing against Anderson but I don't think DE is atop of our priorities. I would rather trade down and take Posz or Willis in the 1st rather than Siler in the 2nd..
                        12th pick is a bit early for Willis and Puz right now but it can all change by draft day

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                          Defies all logic
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by BILLSROCK1212
                          12th pick is a bit early for Willis and Puz right now but it can all change by draft day
                          Yeah, like I said; I think we should trade down and take one of them.

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
                            !?!?!?!?!?
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                            Yeah, like I said; I think we should trade down and take one of them.
                            yea that would be nice id definetly do that but i honestly would prefer us taking Brandon Siler in the 2nd round

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                              • Apr 2004

Trading down to get a playmaker like Willis or Posluszny would be amazing. It makes loads of sense since we need as many picks as we can get.

Comment

Working...
                              X