Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spikes trade still alive as per CBS...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Spikes trade still alive as per CBS...

The Buffalo News reports that the Bills will pay roughly $37 million in salary and bonuses in 2007 to the players they have signed, which means that linebacker Takeo Spikes is likely to be traded. Spikes is due to earn $4.6 million from the Bills this year, and that's space they want to use for several less expensive players.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/NFL_SC-RUMOR

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,943 Times in 4,386 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Spikes trade still alive as per CBS...

Trade him for a 3rd rounder. Let him end his career trying to get a ring on a contender.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,388 Times in 13,778 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HHURRICANE
    The Buffalo News reports that the Bills will pay roughly $37 million in salary and bonuses in 2007 to the players they have signed, which means that linebacker Takeo Spikes is likely to be traded. Spikes is due to earn $4.6 million from the Bills this year, and that's space they want to use for several less expensive players.

I don't know how credible that story is- it's based on a judgement about our cap situation and has nothing to do with the team actually shopping Spikes or someone showing interest.

Given our total lack of LB's and his injury problems, at this point he's more valuable to us than anything we'd get in a trade.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think the possibility of TKO bein traded is a positive for this team, Spikes does not want to be here, and he is proally a locker room problem now that we traded McGahee and let Clements and Fletch go to FA, he got nasty with the media last year about the whole rebuilding thing, so for an average LB to make that much trade him and get some potential in here, let Ellison and draft picks gets his spot, plus u can still sign a FA or two for depth if needed, get a 4th or 5th for him, or use him to trade up to get Peterson, or in another round use him to trade up to get the player the Bills brass wants

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If we trade him at this point after not cutting him before FA its just further proof it's about nothing else other than money to one Mr Ralph Wilson.

This is starting to get comical now following a promising first day of free agency.. You can believe Ralph is gonna get that money back one way or the other.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Cool Re: Spikes trade still alive as per CBS...

Even though The Answer feels this is the right thing to do since Spikes is finished - it's still more proof that the front office is burning the house down and building it from scratch.

~The Answer

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by patmoran2006
    If we trade him at this point after not cutting him before FA its just further proof it's about nothing else other than money to one Mr Ralph Wilson.

This is starting to get comical now following a promising first day of free agency.. You can believe Ralph is gonna get that money back one way or the other.
    Why tie up that kinda of money on a player who is one snap away from the sidelines, and had a subpar year, and is aging at a postion were u need to be an athlete, not a crutch, i luv TKO like the next guy, but the money he comands and how he will be on the feild leaves the Bills no choice but to look in other directions, younger is gonna be better with this team

Also everyone is forgeting these arent Marv's players they are gonna get rid of and are gettin rid of, TD signed TKO, and so far after 2 good it has been followed by 2 bad years for TKO

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 627 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Are you kidding? If we trade him, we get something in return. If we cut him, then we get nothing but cap space. So its cutting him that would be a purely financial move. I think you've got it backwards.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Getting rid of him in any way period is a financial move and nothing more at this point.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Oh good, it only takes CBS a day in a half to misinterupt the Sunday's buffalo news

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Getting rid of him in any way period is a financial move and nothing more at this point.
    in YOUR opinion.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I tend to differ - I think it would be financial and performance related - yes, it seemed Spikes came on a bit towards the end of the year, but he's still a LB on the wrong side of 30 coming off an injury not too many guys come all the way back from.

I don't know if it's the right thing to do for the team - I lean towards it not being the case, but you can't say it would be *purely* financial.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I was totally wrong on the McGahee trade but I have to believe there can't be alot of interest in Spikes after this kind of injury. I believe the Bills are pushing to renegotiate his deal and that's why they threw him out for a trade. Once he see's that a restructured deal here is still better than a one year guranteed deal elsewhere he'll hopefully reconsider.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I was totally wrong on the McGahee trade but I have to believe there can't be alot of interest in Spikes after this kind of injury. I believe the Bills are pushing to renegotiate his deal and that's why they threw him out for a trade. Once he see's that a restructured deal here is still better than a one year guranteed deal elsewhere he'll hopefully reconsider.
    The Answer thinks this is most feasible scenario - let's face it Spikes was a great player, but when he went down in that Atlanta game you could tell by the look on his face that his career flashed before his eyes - and he will never be the dominant force he once was, age is also a factor here.

Spikes is an intense competitor and at this point nothing more than backup/rotational LB - if he's willing to take a major pay cut than The Answer says keep him, if not goodbye #51 - thanks for the effort and great play!

~The Answer

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Answer
    The Answer thinks this is most feasible scenario - let's face it Spikes was a great player, but when he went down in that Atlanta game you could tell by the look on his face that his career flashed before his eyes - and he will never be the dominant force he once was, age is also a factor here.

Spikes is an intense competitor and at this point nothing more than backup/rotational LB - if he's willing to take a major pay cut than The Answer says keep him, if not goodbye #51 - thanks for the effort and great play!

~The Answer
    Sounds like the Ice assessment of McCargo on draft day. Do you coach Pop Warner football by any chance?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan
    in YOUR opinion.
    What is wrong with you? This is a MESSAGE BOARD FORUM..

Of course it's my opinion.. When is the last time you've had one of those football-related besides the standard "In marv we trust line"?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sounds like the Ice assessment of McCargo on draft day. Do you coach Pop Warner football by any chance?
    Jury is still out on McCargo - at this point he's a bust in The Answer's eyes and should never have been drafted in the 1st round (nor should so much have been given up to get him).

As for coaching - it's something The Answer is interested in down the line when he finds a compatible mate and procreates - until then The Answer will continue to scout part time to satiate his football appetite in the offseason.

~The Answer

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What is wrong with you? This is a MESSAGE BOARD FORUM..

Of course it's my opinion.. When is the last time you've had one of those football-related besides the standard "In marv we trust line"?

here's a football related comment.

Jauron said it never matters when a player wants to be traded. They will trade ONLY if it makes the team better . So if in your opinion trading Spikes is only because of cap, then that's YOUR opinion. The coach says otherwise. You wouldn't happen to have closer ties with the bills than the Dick would you?

I'd rather post I trust in the Marv than your usuall blabber about how you want this and that. Sorry you brat, not every GM does things the Donahoe way which you obviously love.

Thought so!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan
    here's a football related comment.

Jauron said it never matters when a player wants to be traded. They will trade ONLY if it makes the team better . So if in your opinion trading Spikes is only because of cap, then that's YOUR opinion. The coach says otherwise. You wouldn't happen to have closer ties with the bills than the Dick would you?

I'd rather post I trust in the Marv than your usuall blabber about how you want this and that. Sorry you brat, not every GM does things the Donahoe way which you obviously love.

Thought so!!!

This doesnt even make sense. Where did Spikes say he wants to be traded? And how does improving the cap not make this team better? Im failing to see your logic, DJ and PM are on the exact same page on this. I dont know where this is coming from.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

your telling me you can judge mccargo at this point???? 2 words on spikes ...sam cowart