X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EDS
    • Jan 2003

Anyone else still concerned over DT?

With Walker now in the fold the Bills top 4 DTs are pretty much locked in place. What concerns me is that there is not a 300lber in the bunch. This would be o.k. if the Bills had a T. Harris/W. Sapp type of player, but that does not appear to be the case (unless McCargo develops quickly). I will admit that I wanted the Hawks to get Okoye because he has the potential to be a Tommie Harris/Warren Sapp.

The history of the Cover 2 is that it is an effective defense when you have (1) a premier DT (i.e., Sapp/Harris) and (2) a linebacker with safety speed (i.e., Urlacher/Brooks) OR an unstopable offense (i.e., Indy).

I hope Marv and co. know what they are doing. The draft will be critical to rebuild what is now a gutted linebacker corps.
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: Anyone else still concerned over DT?

They want faster gap shooter types, not fat run pluggers.

Comment

• EDS
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
      They want faster gap shooter types, not fat run pluggers.
      I know that is what they say they want, but my concern is that such a scheme doesn't work without a truly great DT in the middle.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
        Legendary Zoner
        • Jul 2002

Everyone has one gap.

The problem will be the LB's, not the DL.

Comment

• don137
          • Jul 2002

I would say DT is a big question mark position. They have the talent to be effective but that is rolling the dice. Triplett got better as the year went on, Walker can be a great player if he can stay motivated and McCargo and Williams were rookies last year that should take big steps forward. If all that happens the Bills should be solid at DT.
          If McCargo and Williams don't improve, Triplett plays like he did early in the year and Walker stays inconsistent then the DT will be a big weakness for the team.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
            Legendary Zoner
            • Jul 2002

I think Williams was very good last year. He was the steal of the draft.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

McCargo becomes the key.

he HAS to become a good 1 gap NT

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• EDS
                • Jan 2003

So does Walker start at the nose or does he split time with Triplett?

Comment

• TedMock
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                  McCargo becomes the key.

he HAS to become a good 1 gap NT
                  That's what he is. I'm more concerned with not having a true 2-gapper. I understand the defense and how it's designed. However, in certain situations and schemes, you need a quality 2-gap DT to take blockers away from the 1-gap. How much more effective could Tripplett have been had he not been double teamed? Fighting off double teams is part of the game, but guys like Tim Anderson weren't even requiring a chip let alone a double team.

Having said that, I think Walker is a good pickup at good price. He's a quality DT who will produce for us. I watched McCargo play in college and he's also a quality DT (well, at least he was in college). I think the overall rotation is a good one now. You just can't run the same defense every play.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by TedMock
                    That's what he is. I'm more concerned with not having a true 2-gapper. I understand the defense and how it's designed. However, in certain situations and schemes, you need a quality 2-gap DT to take blockers away from the 1-gap. How much more effective could Tripplett have been had he not been double teamed? Fighting off double teams is part of the game, but guys like Tim Anderson weren't even requiring a chip let alone a double team.
                    I think you and Pat are talking about the same position.
                    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• acehole
                      • Jan 2006

yes

Originally posted by EDS
                      With Walker now in the fold the Bills top 4 DTs are pretty much locked in place. What concerns me is that there is not a 300lber in the bunch. This would be o.k. if the Bills had a T. Harris/W. Sapp type of player, but that does not appear to be the case (unless McCargo develops quickly). I will admit that I wanted the Hawks to get Okoye because he has the potential to be a Tommie Harris/Warren Sapp.

The history of the Cover 2 is that it is an effective defense when you have (1) a premier DT (i.e., Sapp/Harris) and (2) a linebacker with safety speed (i.e., Urlacher/Brooks) OR an unstopable offense (i.e., Indy).

I hope Marv and co. know what they are doing. The draft will be critical to rebuild what is now a gutted linebacker corps.
                      Hated by the stupid..
                      Loved by their moms.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

Less than yesterday, but I do think we could use a Ted Washington/Pat Williams/Sam Adams type to stuff the run.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

With 5 picks through Round 4, I could see another DT.

You make a valid point.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ddaryl
                            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
                            With 5 picks through Round 4, I could see another DT.

You make a valid point.
                            It's possible but then who gets cut.

We are already sporting a full rotation of DT's. If we draft a DT someone is getting cut.

Honestly I don't see the Bill staking a DT this year, they drafted McCargo and Williams last year, and traded for Walker this year. There will be no DT's on draft day IMO, but if they did Jefferson is the odd duck

99Jefferson, JasonDT6-1295252Wisconsin
                            97McCargo, JohnDT6-229523RN.C. State
                            98Tripplett, LarryDT6-2295285Washington
                            --Walker, DarwinDT6-3294299Tennessee
                            95Williams, KyleDT6-129523RLSU

Comment

• Jeff1220
                              H to the 12:20
                              • Jul 2002

Stopping the run in this system is not about "stuffing the hole" but more about penetration. If these DTs can make it into the backfield, they will be able to dispupt and blow up plays - both run and pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X