• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

"Reaching" in the draft

I saw an ex- NFL GM on ESPN last night (wish I could remember who) and he said that one of the mistakes he made was drafting for need instead of draft value- if you pick a #15 player at 9 to fill a need, you still get a 15 player (and you have to pay him #9 salary).

Translation: Do NOT draft Poz or Leon Hall without a trade down.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • BILLSROCK1212
    !?!?!?!?!?
    • Mar 2006

Re: "Reaching" in the draft

Originally posted by OpIv37
    I saw an ex- NFL GM on ESPN last night (wish I could remember who) and he said that one of the mistakes he made was drafting for need instead of draft value- if you pick a #15 player at 9 to fill a need, you still get a 15 player (and you have to pay him #9 salary).

Floyd Reese

Comment

• gr8slayer
      • Feb 2005

EVERYONE is a reach on the first day of the draft.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by gr8slayer
        EVERYONE is a reach on the first day of the draft.
        disagree. Everyone is a gamble on the first day of the draft. That's different than a reach.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• gr8slayer
          • Feb 2005

disagree. Everyone is a gamble on the first day of the draft. That's different than a reach.
          Nothing is a guarantee, gamble, reach, tomato, tommmattto.

Comment

• X-Era
            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
            • Feb 2005

Anyone who think Puz is worthy of the 12 pick is crazy in my opinion. Hes not even the best OLB, much less the best LB.

I think hes a solid 2nd rounder who could slip to the 3rd as several have predicted.

Hes a player, hed be great here, Id love to have him, but not at 12.

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

No, his point is on the money.

"Reach" implies a player drafted higher than there pre-draft ranking. "Gamble" implies its no sure thing that the player will live up to their pre-draft ranking.

However, the rankings are the rankings, and when carried out responsibly by professionals for NFL teams, they are completely valid.

I dont believe the Bills or many if any teams feel that Puz is worthy of the 12 pick, notice I didnt say the 12th best player, thats also different. But I dont think any team feels hes worthy of being drafted by any of the first 12 teams, yes, I think that includes us.

Thats my honest opinion.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

POS is a good, servicable player who I think will be a starter in the NFL and wont hurt the team he plays for.

That's not good enough..Not for Buffalo and especially not when you have a pick in the top dozen.

Whether its LB or somewhere else; this team needs a game-changer player. We lack that and until we get more than just Losman and Evans we are far from a playoff team.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by jp-era
                  No, his point is on the money.

"Reach" implies a player drafted higher than there pre-draft ranking. "Gamble" implies its no sure thing that the player will live up to their pre-draft ranking.
                  what he said.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                    POS is a good, servicable player who I think will be a starter in the NFL and wont hurt the team he plays for.

That's not good enough..Not for Buffalo and especially not when you have a pick in the top dozen.

Whether its LB or somewhere else; this team needs a game-changer player. We lack that and until we get more than just Losman and Evans we are far from a playoff team.
                    Yes sir, THANK YOU!

I can finally agree with your post. I say that since you didnt insist it has to be Willis.

Willis or anyone else, I agree it should be a game changer type playmaker.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                      • Feb 2005

When you are investing millions upon millions of dollars in something you can call it whatever you want. Especially when its something that has no experience in what your paying them to do.

Comment

• Devin
                        The Octagon
                        • Apr 2003

Anyone who think Puz is worthy of the 12 pick is crazy in my opinion. Hes not even the best OLB, much less the best LB.

I think hes a solid 2nd rounder who could slip to the 3rd as several have predicted.

Hes a player, hed be great here, Id love to have him, but not at 12.
                        Which is why you post here.
                        http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

When you are investing millions upon millions of dollars in something you can call it whatever you want. Especially when its something that has no experience in what your paying them to do.
                          Dont disagree there. I hope you didnt just convince yourself that forming a draft board and sticking to it is a waste though, it isnt. Because when your paying thousands and thousands (who knows maybe millions) to have scouts, go and scout, why not actually USE them?

Its no exact science, but that doesnt mean you shoot arrows wearing a blindfold either. They do their due dilligence, get as much information possible, form a general consensus on who we should draft and where. That said, I dont think its likley at all that the name Posluzny goes to the commish at 12.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                            • Feb 2005

Dont disagree there. I hope you didnt just convince yourself that forming a draft board and sticking to it is a waste though, it isnt. Because when your paying thousands and thousands (who knows maybe millions) to have scouts, go and scout, why not actually USE them?

Its no exact science, but that doesnt mean you shoot arrows wearing a blindfold either. They do their due dilligence, get as much information possible, form a general consensus on who we should draft and where. That said, I dont think its likley at all that the name Posluzny goes to the commish at 12.
                            Hey to be fair I didn't think there was any way in hell Whitner or McCargo would be Bills in the first round.

Either way I trust Marv's pick.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                              • May 2003

The only time a player is a reach in a draft is until the season starts.

Comment

Working...
                              X