Thread: Browns jinxed? Steinback has appendectomy

!?!?!?!?!?
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Browns jinxed? Steinback has appendectomy

Browns' jinx continues: Steinbach has appendectomy

By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

As he continues to mull over the Cleveland Browns' possible first-round selection with the third overall pick in the 2007 draft, star-crossed general manager Phil Savage might want to consider tabbing an exorcist with the franchise's top pick.

Steinbach
    The eerie curse that seems to haunt high-profile veteran free agents signed by the Browns, along with the team's first-round draft picks, continued Thursday when the club announced that guard Eric Steinbach has undergone an appendectomy that will force him to miss time in the offseason conditioning program.

The procedure was performed on Wednesday and Steinbach was released from the Cleveland Clinic on Thursday. But the appendectomy is the latest incident to befall a key unrestricted free agent signed by Cleveland in recent years.

Two-time Pro Bowl center LeCharles Bentley, projected as the anchor of the offensive line when he signed a landmark contract last spring, tore the patella tendon of his left knee in the first practice of 2006 training camp. Bentley missed the entire '06 season and, because of complications and the need for further surgery, will miss all of 2007 as well.

Cornerback Gary Baxter, who joined the Browns as their big unrestricted acquisition in '05, tore a pectoral muscle in his first season in Cleveland, and appeared in only five games. Last October, in a freak incident, Baxter ruptured the patella tendons in both knees and doctors originally feared he might never walk normally. Baxter is making solid progress now, but it is uncertain when he will return to the playing field.

Cleveland has also seen several former first-round choices -- including quarterback Tim Couch, defensive end Courtney Brown, tight end Kellen Winslow and wide receiver Braylon Edwards -- suffer debilitating injuries during their tenures with the team. In addition, several players have contracted severe staph infections the past two years and the team's complex has been inspected by authorities attempting to locate any source of contamination.

Steinbach, 26, signed a seven-year, $49.5 million contract with the Browns in early March, leaving the division rival Cincinnati Bengals as an unrestricted free agent. The deal was one of the most lucrative ever signed by an offensive guard.

Projected as the team's starting left guard, Steinbach will be limited for the next 3-6 weeks, according to Browns' team physician Dr. Anthony Miniaci. The team said in a statement that Steinbach, who missed just one game in four seasons with the Bengals, should be recovered in time for a June minicamp.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2843540

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Browns jinxed? Steinback has appendectomy

Dang, that is a run of bad luck.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Grabbing Dockery over him is looking better and better.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Still this particular incident shouldn't be that big a deal should it? Missing some off-season conditioning for a guy of his caliber isn't the end of the world.

!?!?!?!?!?
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by dolphan117
    Still this particular incident shouldn't be that big a deal should it? Missing some off-season conditioning for a guy of his caliber isn't the end of the world.
    yea....but its worse since he is joining a new team and you need time to jell with your teamates

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No, he may be a little behind where he would have been when training camp rolls around, but he's going to be an effective blocker for the Browns this season.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

I'm right, Miyagi is wrong. HAMMER's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think that it is pretty clear that something is fishy with the Cleveand water.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's April and the season starts in Sept.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Everything I post is sexual inuendo ddaryl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Cleveland sure doesn't deserve this run of crappy luck with their team IMO.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Until he gets a staff infection like every other player in Cleveland.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He will be 110% when the season rolls around. It's funny cuz my good friend is a huge Browns fan and every time something like this you have to feel bad for their fans cuz they never catch a break but still stand behind their team. Sounds a little familiar

short bus extraordinaire SABURZFAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gr8slayer
    Grabbing Dockery over him is looking better and better.

how so?dockery could easily have the same thing in the future if he hasn't had one already.if anything,it's not a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.