• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Bills get nowhere by trading McGahee, Spikes

No question, the McGahee and Spikes situations were complicated. McGahee, a former No. 1 pick the team spent much time and effort on, was coming off a season in which he didn't hit 1,000 yards. Spikes' cap number was burdensome and the question of his repaired Achilles' tendon would always be there.
    But both players are rare talents when it's all clicking and stand the chance to resurrect themselves in big ways with their new teams. Such talent isn't easily found or replaced. When the team issues the standard "moving in a new direction" line, that direction is usually down. The issue of McGahee's attitude was way overblown. He played hard, with injuries. He was not in trouble with the law. His biggest fault was being a goofball.
    Being a goofball? That's like saying Hitler was a little insensitive. He projects Willis and Bush as our #1 and 2 picks, which should make some happy in here.
  • dolphan117
    • Dec 2005

Re: Bills get nowhere by trading McGahee, Spikes

Ultimately whether or not Wilis was a good trade will depend entirely on what those extra draft picks turn into. Just to early to say at this point IMO.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

" Both players are rare talents when it's all clicking "

Exactly.

And it WASN'T clicking. So the Bills are doing something about it.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by Night Train
        " Both players are rare talents when it's all clicking "

Exactly.

And it WASN'T clicking. So the Bills are doing something about it.

Bills made the correct moves

Comment

• Don't Panic
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Dec 2005

This will obviously prove itself out over the course of the year. I'm just a ltitle surprised to see Leo Roth be so quick to assess when there are so many unknowns in the equation.

Comment

• mchurchfie
            • Jul 2002

We waited for 3 years for Willis to start "clicking."
            My Band
            daveviterna.com

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
              Legendary Zoner
              • Jul 2002

I thought Leo Roth hit the nail on the head.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

Didn't Spikes want out?
                Originally posted by mysticsoto
                Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

I really wish the media would let this stuff go. It's not like we've dismantled a dynasty. When you've missed the playoffs for 7 consecutive seasons, perhaps "moving in a new direction" just makes good sense.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• mikemac2001
                    is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                    • Mar 2003

Idk man i liked spikes but he wasnt the same and time to move on, Mcgahee was just a douche i really wish i could have gotten him on madden nation i was gonna call him out saying he was gonna ditch buffalo when he got the chance...i know they wouldnt have shown it but would have liked to get some shots in

MUCK
                    FIAMI

Comment

• ddaryl
                      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                      • Jan 2005

McGahee was such a talent he made the probowl how many times ?

Spikes will be missed, but his departure was requested by him, and we did get a pretty good DT for him.

Comment

• streetkings01
                        • Jul 2006

If McGahee is a rare talent, than so are 75% of the RB's in the NFL!
                        You can call me streetkings

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Willis had his shot- even if he lights it up in Baltimore, he wasn't going to do that here.

As far as Spikes, we are absolutely going to regret that trade.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                            Willis had his shot- even if he lights it up in Baltimore, he wasn't going to do that here.

As far as Spikes, we are absolutely going to regret that trade.
                            I guess we are going to disagree on this one.

Getting rid of Spikes, who has been non-existant for 2 seasons, and getting Darwin Walker and a draft pick seems pretty reasonable to me. I think the Bills looked at Takeo's upside and didn't see 5 miilion for it. Hard to miss a non-contributor.

McGahee, to me, is the mistake. You have a guy that was a starter with nobody on the current roster. Michael Turner is a big question mark as far as I'm concerned and a rookie in this year's draft could be LT or Ron Dayne. You don't know.

I like getting rid of players that should be better but than I can name another dozen players that we should move. You can't move everyone and Willis was the one we should have kept for the time being.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                              I guess we are going to disagree on this one.

Getting rid of Spikes, who has been non-existant for 2 seasons, and getting Darwin Walker and a draft pick seems pretty reasonable to me. I think the Bills looked at Takeo's upside and didn't see 5 miilion for it. Hard to miss a non-contributor.

McGahee, to me, is the mistake. You have a guy that was a starter with nobody on the current roster. Michael Turner is a big question mark as far as I'm concerned and a rookie in this year's draft could be LT or Ron Dayne. You don't know.

I like getting rid of players that should be better but than I can name another dozen players that we should move. You can't move everyone and Willis was the one we should have kept for the time being.

The problem with the Spikes trade is that we already lost an LB in Fletch and now we lost Spikes and we haven't GAINED any LB's. So, if the season started today, it would be Haggan-Crowell-Ellison and that's just scary. Even if we find a starting LB in the draft, we're one injury away from someone like Haggan, DiGiorgio or Coy Wire STARTING at LB. That's scary.

As far as Darwin Walker, he's not a run stuffer so I don't know how much he'll actually help the DL>

When it comes to McGahee, his attitude was ALL wrong. Look what he did against the Jets when he was motivated because of Vilma. But the guy doesn't show up every week and no one in Buffalo was going to make him. McGahee would NEVER reach his potential in Buffalo and we were spinning our wheels with him. He plays for himself- he doesn't play to win and he doesn't play for the team. So **** him- we can get 900 yards out of A train if we have to.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X