Thread: Forked Thread: Time for Darcy to finally see that this team is not Championship mater

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Forked Thread: Time for Darcy to finally see that this team is not Championship mater

Forked from: Time for Darcy to finally see that this team is not Championship material.

Quote Originally Posted by chernobylwraiths
    Spacek will probably not be dealt because of his salary.

My opinion:

Sign Drury at all cost, overpay if you have to. Sign Vanek and Miller long term. Vanek will only get better as well as Miller. Miller is the kind of player to build around for a long time.

Now the hard ones. Let Briere and Zubrus walk if they want more than what they got this year. That means we have no chance to resign. I like Briere, but he is not the kind of player that will be a force in the playoffs. He is too small and too easily pushed off the puck. Zubrus is the kind of player we want, but 4 to 5 million is too much to tie up in a guy that is as much of a role player as he would be.

There is no shortage of players I would like to go after in free agency. Guys like Souray and Ryan Smyth, but to be honest, we are the Sabres and there is virtually no way possible to get a big tickets guys like this, nor would Darcy look to bring any in. BUT, there are guys I like that play the kind of game that would be beneficial in the playoffs. Dean McAmmond comes immediately to mind, Stu Barnes (although he might be a bit old) Tomas Holmstrom (probably couldn't be pried from Detroit).

I certainly don't want to blow up the roster, but I would like to get a bigger hitter on the blueline who can skate and a couple of forwards who aren't afraid to get their nose dirty to go with Gaustad and Mair if we can resign him.

This team isn't THAT far away.
    what's everyone think? I didn't think anyone was reading the other thread.

In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Forked Thread: Time for Darcy to finally see that this team is not Championship mater

Tweaks- not wholesale changes.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Forked Thread: Time for Darcy to finally see that this team is not Championship mater

Drury- all that, and a bag of chips- every minutes he remains without a deal is blunder on darcy's part.
    Spacek- waste of a fa contract.
    Kalinin - sorry, but enough is enough im done waiting on him.
    Briere- if they sign him great, if not use the space to sign Drury.
    Tempo- if they get ride of spacek, and kalinin i'd keep him. if not. we could go younger.
    Mair- Kaletta could play his role, i wouldn't mind them resigning him.
    Zubrus-i would love to have him on this team. imo

All-Pro Zoner BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

your going to see this team keep Briere and Drury, let Zubrus walk, Numninen is going to retire, and trade Afinogenov and somebody else to Chicago to try to get their #1 pick in the entry draft to get Kane (Buffalo Kid), and bring MacAurthur, Kaletta(buffalo kid), Ryan, Hunter the (son of Dale Hunter) and Dennis (goalie) up from Rochester.
    Last edited by BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan; 05-19-2007 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Gotta lock up Drury, and if at all possible Briere too. I don't want to lose a top-10 scorer.
    Those two plus Vanek will eat a lot of cap space. Either through trade or outright release, we could dump Kotalik ($2 million) and Kalinin ($1.75 mil). Hecht ($2.35 mil) is expendable as well.

I can't fathom Numminen returning. That's another $2.6 million.

Zubrus ($1.85 mil) would be nice to keep but not at any cost.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by LOSman WINS
    your going to see this team keep Briere and Drury, let go of Zubrus, and trade Afinogenov in the draft to move up in the draft to try get Kane, and bring MacAurthur, Kaletta, Ryan, Hunter, and Dennis up from Rochester.
    God your the worst type of homer, keep all the local guys even if it cost you the ability to win.

Registered User TheGhostofJimKelly's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Forked Thread: Time for Darcy to finally see that this team is not Championship m

Originally Posted by SkateZilla
    You might want to go back to history buddy... ther Luftwaffe didnt bomb Pearl Harbor, the Japanese Did...

Holy cow, that is so funny. SkateZilla, you need to get out more.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Here's one blogger's idea (posted before the Zubrus trade). He suggests trading Hecht, but I'd dump Kalinin and Kotalik first

http://www.sabresreport.com/blogs/?cat=7

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Philagape
    Gotta lock up Drury, and if at all possible Briere too. I don't want to lose a top-10 scorer.
    Those two plus Vanek will eat a lot of cap space. Either through trade or outright release, we could dump Kotalik ($2 million) and Kalinin ($1.75 mil). Hecht ($2.35 mil) is expendable as well.

I can't fathom Numminen returning. That's another $2.6 million.

Zubrus ($1.85 mil) would be nice to keep but not at any cost.
    Um Brad Riter on the WGR55 Post game show today said that you don't have to pay Vanek he's a RFA after this year and he's not going anywhere, The Sabres hold all the cards unless a team wants to give up a first round draft choice for him. Brad did say that they (Sabres) will give him a pay raise though but nothing big.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Um Brad Riter on the WGR55 Post game show today said that you don't have to pay Vanek he's a RFA after this year and he's not going anywhere, The Sabres hold all the cards unless a team wants to give up a first round draft choice for him. Brad did say that they (Sabres) will give him a pay raise though but nothing big.
    We have to pay him if we want him on the ice. I do.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Kalinin played himself out of Buffalo.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Philagape
    Here's one blogger's idea (posted before the Zubrus trade). He suggests trading Hecht, but I'd dump Kalinin and Kotalik first

http://www.sabresreport.com/blogs/?cat=7
    that's not what I have
    http://www.letsgosabres.com/team/payroll.php

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That's what I was looking for. The blogger is off a bit.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

first rounders won't help this team. 43 goal scorers in the line up will. He's lazy along the board but he produces and he's young. Kotalik is unproductive when lazy which is most of the time. kick him to the curve.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Forked Thread: Time for Darcy to finally see that this team is not Championship m

I like Brad, but he is possibly way off base here. As GOJK has pointed out, Vanek is that rare type of talent that could garner a HUGE contract from some team with a ton of cap space. They could sign him to a contract that would be impossible to match. I don't know if the first round compensation would be worth losing Vanek. Now, getting the first choice in the draft and getting Tavares might take some of the sting away...

No, I don't want to lose Vanek.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And I know Tavares won't be able to be drafted until '08.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by camelcowboy
    God your the worst type of homer, keep all the local guys even if it cost you the ability to win.
    Look at Bruins for all those years where did they get their players from? from Boston. So what's wrong about Sabres drafting kids from Buffalo. they're trying to reach out to the suburbs of WNY.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Look at Bruins for all those years where did they get their players from? from Boston. So what's wrong about Sabres drafting kids from Buffalo. they're trying to reach out to the suburbs of WNY.
    i want to win, you want to keep a underachieving team intact, but if they do make a move you want them to fill holes with exclusively wny natives. There are far better players who can really help this team. Your logic is flawed, get your priorities straight. The city loves this team, you don't need every player to be from buffalo, or have parents with sabres roots.

In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Please DO NOT include the Bruins and "responsible team management" in the same sentance.

1- The Bruins do not target locals in their drafts.

2- They suck - and when they find a good one in the draft- they usually trade them away or give them contracts that are unmanageable