• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

McCargo is the team's 2nd most important player

To me, other than JP Losman there is nobody on this football team that is more important to any success they have this year than John McCargo.

I have absolutely NO clue how injured he still is, when he'll be back and how effective he'll be. But I can with reasonable certainty he's the most important player on the defense when it comes to the unit being competitive.

If McCargo is healthy by camp, is in great shape and plays like a first round DT, then the front four will be much better against the run. In turn, that will make the rest of the defense better as well.

But if he's a no-go of ineffective again this year; then a DT rotation of Williams/Tripplett/Anderson and maybe Walker is going to be pushed around all over the field again, and running backs are going to have career days against us.

So although there are a ton of guys of great importance to this team, IMO other than Losman nobody is more so than McCargo. He's the one DT with the "ability" to change things on the front four from a year ago.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • raphael120
    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
    • Oct 2005

Re: McCargo is the team's 2nd most important player

DT is the key to run D. Our DT in McCargo was a first round pick.

We expect both Lynch and Poz to start and contribute big time this season, why should we not expect McCargo, a second year player to not contribute huge too? If youre picked in the first round, you should be starting and making an impact.

Comment

• gil
      • Mar 2005

So, Schobel is our best player on defense but McCargo is the most important?

Comment

• TacklingDummy
        Unreachable Douche
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gilbert23b
        It's possible.

Comment

• raphael120
          Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
          • Oct 2005

Schobel is important but he's proven and he's fine. He isn't a liability.

McCargo is important because he is a missing key that we need and we dont quite have yet. So yes, he is more important than Schobel in the fact that Schobel is good and proven, we know what we have in him and he does his part, what is more important is that he must not be THE only good player ont hat line.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Absolutely, yes.

Comment

• feldspar
              • Mar 2007

If there is any justification at all for the Bills to trade up to get McCargo the way they did last year, I'll be psyched. If he plays like first round talent, we'll obviously be a lot better off. That would be great. I'm really hoping that happens.

How long does it take to recover from a broken foot, anyway? It's been around 7 months, hasn't it?

I don't know if I'd say if he'd be the 2nd most important player, though. Maybe. Youboty, McCargo, and Poz are all pretty green, and we are totally counting on all three of these guys. Ellison, too. McGee being the #1 corner worries me as well.

Comment

• eyedog
                • Jul 2002

Most important ? Oh boy.
                He must be Reggie White sitting out. He's played five games and even if healthy nobody knows if he will be any good.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by eyedog
                  Most important ? Oh boy.
                  He must be Reggie White sitting out. He's played five games and even if healthy nobody knows if he will be any good.
                  Stopping the run is our single-biggest weakness.

We have the same collection of defensive linemen as last year, who proved they couldn't stop the run.

With the exception of McCargo, who only played in 5 games before gettting injured.

If we cant stop the run, we can't win consistently. McCargo is the one and only DL who hasn't shown that he CANT stop the run.

Therefore, with the exception of QB, he's now the most important player on the team. I didn't say he was the second-best player on the team, I said he's the second most important player.

Comment

• eyedog
                    • Jul 2002

I know what you said.
                    I think Peters, Evans, Schobel,and even Lynch for starters come in before McCargo.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                      • Jul 2002

If I read Pat right, what he's saying is that McCargo is vitally important as a DIFFERENCE from last year, and that we need him to step up and merit his first round status. Schobel has proved himself as our best defensive lineman. We need him to keep playing at the same level of excellence, but it is vitally important that McCargo steps up.

Am I putting words in your mouth Pat, or is that what you were trying to say?

In any case, that's how I feel...

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Mad Bomber
                        If I read Pat right, what he's saying is that McCargo is vitally important as a DIFFERENCE from last year, and that we need him to step up and merit his first round status. Schobel has proved himself as our best defensive lineman. We need him to keep playing at the same level of excellence, but it is vitally important that McCargo steps up.

Am I putting words in your mouth Pat, or is that what you were trying to say?

In any case, that's how I feel...
                        Nope, that's very well said.

Peters, Lynch, Whitner may be better players. But none of them are as important as McCargo, as his play will likely represent how the entire DL looks this year.

If he's healthy and he plays excellent this year; he can change the complextion of the entire front seven in a positive way. If he's not healthy and/or doesnt play up to expectations; then the defense as a whole is likely to be very, very bad.

I know it may be unfair to McCargo; but for this unit to good this year, he has to quickly become a Warren Sapp (old school) type of DT for this team.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

If Pat said that, I would actually have to agree.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                            Nope, that's very well said.

Peters, Lynch, Whitner may be better players. But none of them are as important as McCargo, as his play will likely represent how the entire DL looks this year.

If he's healthy and he plays excellent this year; he can change the complextion of the entire front seven in a positive way. If he's not healthy and/or doesnt play up to expectations; then the defense as a whole is likely to be very, very bad.

I know it may be unfair to McCargo; but for this unit to good this year, he has to quickly become a Warren Sapp (old school) type of DT for this team.

Very well said.

I'm hoping his gimpy foot heals, because I too feel that he is a lynchpin for our D line this year.

Help me Obi-Wan McCargo...you're our only hope...

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                              If Pat said that, I would actually have to agree.
                              I agree TOTALLY with Pat on this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X