• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

Canadian billionaire buying Predators; Nashville future in doubt

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -Nashville Predators owner Craig Leipold confirmed Thursday he has signed a letter of intent to sell the franchise to Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie for $220 million.

"I'm tired of losing money," Leipold said. "I found someone willing to step up and invest in this team and make it happen."

The terms of the sale, which must be approved by the NHL's Board of Governors, call for the deal to be completed by June 30.

Leipold has owned the team since the NHL awarded the franchise in June 1997. But he had been talking to Balsillie about buying the team since January and decided to sell after losing $15 million this past season and approximately $70 million since landing the franchise in 1997.

"I have come to the conclusion that I cannot make it work here," said Leipold, who became emotional and had to pause at one point. "We are one of the elite teams in this league, and we are by far the lowest revenue team in the league."

Leipold said he hopes Balsillie's business skill can tap into the corporate support he never found to help him make a profit. He said he made money one year, and that was $640,000.

The Predators averaged 13,815 in paid attendance this season despite finishing with 110 points and third in the NHL.

Whether the Predators remain in Nashville past the 2007-08 season remains to be seen. Leipold has until June 19 to exercise a "cure" clause in the team's arena lease that would force the city to buy tickets and ensure attendance averages 14,000 next season.

Leipold said he has not yet discussed with Balsillie whether to exercise that clause.

But the consent agreement with the NHL that must be signed includes a clause that prevents a new owner from relocating the team for seven years. An arena lease would have to be in effect to force the new owner to follow that league requirement.

Asked if Balsillie intends to keep the team in Nashville, Leipold said he did not know.

"You'll have to ask Mr. Balsillie that question," Leipold said.

Basillie, who withdrew a $175 million offer to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins in December because of a similar non-relocation clause, said in a statement he is thrilled to have a chance to buy the Predators. He is the co-CEO of Blackberry makers Research in Motion Ltd.
    The official National Hockey League website including news, rosters, stats, schedules, teams, and video.

Here we go again! this is the same guy that was going to buy the Penguins and the deal fell through and the rumors were that he was going to move them to Winnipeg. Now he will own the Nashville Predators will he try to move them to Winnipeg? hmmm I think so also I heard that some guy in Winnipeg who is running for mayor and if he's elected he would bring back the Winnipeg Jets. Also there's KC The Sprint Center is almost complete and they want hockey.
  • RockStar36
    Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
    • Sep 2004

Re: Canadian billionaire buying Predators; Nashville future in doubt

Not that I support moving teams but if the Predators do move I really hope they move to Canada. Moving to KC would be the same thing as keeping them in Nashville. They need to go to a more lively hockey market.

D & S Sports

Comment

• GThirst
      • Jul 2006

Nashville should be moved. Stupid red necks.

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

Winnipeg Predators....that would look real good with a rivalry against the Minnesota Wild.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
          • May 2003

Isn't that the same guy that wanted to move a team to Kitchner or Hamilton a few years ago?

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

This is where I would usually make a joke about a Canadian billionaire having about $300 American dollars, but unfortunately that is no longer the case.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• G. Host
              Banned
              • Jul 2002

Rename them the Nashville Racecars and it will sell out.
              Really wrong market for hockey.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by G. Host
                Rename them the Nashville Racecars and it will sell out.
                Really wrong market for hockey.
                let's be honest...the could move Nash, Atl, Flor, one of the LA teams and Phoenix and nobody would care...same would have been said if Car or Dallas had not won the cup or Anaheim be this close.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• JD
                  Sabres Zone
                  • Sep 2003

Kansas City is a huge sports market believe it or not.. and the Sprint Center is an american landmark as far as I'm concernced, nothing short of spectacular.
                  “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• User Manuel
                    The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
                    • Nov 2003

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                    Isn't that the same guy that wanted to move a team to Kitchner or Hamilton a few years ago?
                    He has been quoted as saying he was intersted in putting a team in either the Hamilton or Kitchener/Waterloo/London area.

The Kitchner/Waterloo/London Area is huge, has a lot of money and would be a great spot for another team. A shame for Nashville though.

I have heard they would build an Arena in the Cambridge area.

Comment

• JD
                      Sabres Zone
                      • Sep 2003

man, i remember when we were down this road.. now i dont think it will ever be possible for us to fall to those lows again.

*knocking on wood* of course
                      “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Lawesome97
                        He has been quoted as saying he was intersted in putting a team in either the Hamilton or Kitchener/Waterloo/London area.

The Kitchner/Waterloo/London Area is huge, has a lot of money and would be a great spot for another team. A shame for Nashville though.

I have heard they would build an Arena in the Cambridge area.
                        I wonder what hammerbillsfan would do if they moved the Predators to his home town of Hamilton....maybe he would jump on the bandwagon and finally realize that the Maple Leafs suck and won't win anything, anytime soon.

Comment

• hammerbillsfan
                          • Aug 2005

They are never coming to Hamilton, plain and simple.

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by hammerbillsfan
                            They are never coming to Hamilton, plain and simple.
                            Speaking of which....how are the Bulldogs doing?

Comment

• hammerbillsfan
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Mikey82
                              Speaking of which....how are the Bulldogs doing?
                              1 win away from the final!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X