Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: According to this AP story, the Bills do not have to forfeit the rights of Walker

in charge of you
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

According to this AP story, the Bills do not have to forfeit the rights of Walker

Not sure if this was posted yet, but the AP is reporting that the Bills have the option of keeping him even if they don't agree on a contract. Maybe marv isn't so stupid after all.

Darwin Walker and the Buffalo Bills have stepped up talks to complete a restructured contract in time for the him to attend the team's mandatory minicamp next week. "We've had dialogue and we're still hopeful," Walker's agent said. "We've got to be hopeful because Darwin wants to play there and sees it as a wonderful opportunity. He wants to be a Bill in the worst way."

Under NFL rules, the Bills would have the option to return Walker to Philadelphia if he doesn't report by Aug. 5. Buffalo would then receive a sixth-round pick in next year's draft as compensation.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur.../s_511842.html

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Thanks
    Thanked 26,402 Times in 13,788 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: According to this AP story, the Bills do not have to forfeit the rights of Walker

If the Bills have the option, it would completely change my opinion of the FO on this trade. But according to what Marv said yesterday, it sounds like the Bills DON'T have the option.

There is so much conflicting information on this story.

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: According to this AP story, the Bills do not have to forfeit the rights of Walker

Perhaps in all of these matters we should get as much relevant information as possible before jumping to any conclusions.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Reimers
    Perhaps in all of these matters we should get as much relevant information as possible before jumping to any conclusions.
    But what if we want to slam Marv Levy for destroying the Bills and ruining our lives?!?!
    Bruce: What time is it?
    Biscuit: Huh?
    Bruce: What time is it?
    Biscuit: Showtime?
    Bruce: (incensed) Hammertime!!
    Biscuit: Hammertime!
    Bruce: Hammertime is when you hitting that nail in a piece of wood with a hammer. You keep hitting that nail, over and over until you can no longer see the nail. You just see the wood is all splintered and what-not. That is Hammertime.

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

IF we cant sign him before the deadline, I dont want him .

I still think its an absolutely horrible trade to make when you trade for a guy that straight up tells you he wants a new deal and you still trade for him anyway.

But i'd rather have the extra 6th than hold on to him.. THat gives us 2 sixths and 2 thirds next year.. Maybe ammo to move up for something next year.

Still, absolutely deplorable trade and bad judgement by our FO to basically give Spikes away.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Roways rooking ahread! Mitchy moo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    If the Bills have the option, it would completely change my opinion of the FO on this trade. But according to what Marv said yesterday, it sounds like the Bills DON'T have the option.

There is so much conflicting information on this story.
    If they have the option of sending him back for a 6th rounder or keeping him and making him sweat it out that makes it a even stronger move by Marv. If they have to sit the guy for $1.3 M so be it, or he can try to be greedy and wait. It's puts the Bills in a much stronger position for negotiating purposes.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by patmoran2006

I still think its an absolutely horrible trade to make when you trade for a guy that straight up tells you he wants a new deal and you still trade for him anyway.

But i'd rather have the extra 6th than hold on to him.. THat gives us 2 sixths and 2 thirds next year.. Maybe ammo to move up for something next year.

Still, absolutely deplorable trade and bad judgement by our FO to basically give Spikes away.
    No, it gives us two 3rd's, two 6th's, and two 7th's.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We got an extra 7th next year too?
    I thought we got the extra 7th from Philly THIS year?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 627 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    If the Bills have the option, it would completely change my opinion of the FO on this trade.
    This is exactly what I've been saying. If they HAVE TO return him, then I'm 100% with you that it was a boner of a move, and I'll have significantly less confidence in the FO.

But if they have the OPTION of returning him, I think it was a well negotiated hedge against the possibility of Walker holding out.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We got an extra 7th next year too?
    I thought we got the extra 7th from Philly THIS year?
    no, that extra 7th this year was from the McGahee trade.
    Last edited by Michael82; 06-12-2007 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Nice..

Thanks
    Thanked 5,125 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yes the Bills can decide whether to return Walker for a 6th rounder, or keep him, after August 5th. Think about it, why would the Eagles say they definitely want him back after August 5th? It's a contingency plan the Bills placed in the trade in case Walker didn't report.

However if he doesn't report, I'd hold onto his rights and let him sit-out the year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I was under the impression that it was an option all along. It would seem down right rediculous to think otherwise.

Administrator Emeritus

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by madness
    I was under the impression that it was an option all along. It would seem down right rediculous to think otherwise.
    I wasn't as sure about it as you, but yeah, it always seemed really strange that we'd HAVE to give the guy back.. never made sense to me - when you complete a trade, doesn't the player become the team's property for the remainder of his previous contract? (rhetorical question)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

More than fair offer.
    On a side note it looks like Marv is stock piling picks. Hmmm

Thanks
    Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I thought it was a condition of the original trade that he goes back if he doesn't reach a contract here...and then it means we traded takeo spikes and kelly holcolm for a sixth round draft pick...useless.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,125 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

NO, the Bills can decide whether to send him back, for a draft pick, or keep him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

:
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Thanks
    Thanked 17,693 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What were the other offers for Spikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Won't we get comp picks next year for losing Clements and Fletcher?
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSman WINS
    Vanek is Austrian not European
    Quote Originally Posted by Prov401
    Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
    Quote Originally Posted by better days
    I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.