Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wow, where did Miami become improved on offense?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Wow, where did Miami become improved on offense?

Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY!
    Comparing the Jets to the Dolphins is laughable.

The Jets 3 seasons ago were a playoff team that was a KICKER away from advancing in the playoffs. Which is why they drafted Nugent. Then 2 years ago they sucked because they lost their QB. Most teams will suck when they lose their QB. Then last year they were healthy so they were good again. It's not hard to see that coming or happening when you factor everything in.

Miami is a completely different team now than they were even last season, let alone a few seasons ago. So how anyone can compare them is beyond me.
    4 seasons ago the Dolphins were 10-6, 2 seasons ago were were 9-7. The Only difference in Miami this year and last year is a better OC, more speed on offense and we got rid of players that weren't contributing. BTW when is the last time the Jets had a top 5 defense? The closest they've been was in 03 when they were 7th, but they also had balance with a good offense, something Miami could very well have this year.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,436 Times in 7,061 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feelthepain
    With Joey Harrington and MM.....Yes I do, you do realize Joey is no longer in Miami and MM is the TE coach, don't you?
    You forgot .....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Daunte:

This is just one fans opinion, but keep your head up bro. Not everyone agrees with the way the Dolphins handled you and your situation. I for one do not feel much pride in this team with this situation, I think it was classless the way it was handled and I think you deserve better, all players that have the love and respect of their teammates desreve better and you had that with this team.

I hope your next stop is a good one and you return to form. You deserve it because of the hard work and the hart you've shown since this injury. I also want to thank you for wanting to help this team succeed and wanting to be a Dolphin. Even though you came back to soon and that decision probably cost you your future in Miami, I know you did so because you're a competitor and you want to succeed as much as any player on this team, including the pressure to win you faced in you decisions.

I'll root for you wherever you land, I think there are some serious flaws in NFL circles and sometimes the good guy's lose. I also have no problem with you forcing your release, there has to be some sorta of consequence for the treatment you've endored the last few months since the new coaching staff arrived and you aren't the only player to suffer such poor treatment around the league. I sat and watched Cam Cameron state with my own eyes and ears he wouldn't evaluate any player till they were a 100%, he obviously didn't mean you cause he obviously never intented on giving you that chance, even though the conversation at the time was about you.

I still love my team, but I just wanted you to know that not everything that happens with this team is something I'm proud to be a part of or watch.
    Just like when players do things wrong or make mistakes and the organization feels the need to seperate themselves and their actions or intentions from a players, I feel the need to do the same with this team at this time. I care more about the players then some individuals within the FO and more specifically the coaching staff at this point in time.

Stay strong Bro and thanks again for the effort, you're a class act.

FTP.

http://finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=199590

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan
    You forgot .....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Daunte:

This is just one fans opinion, but keep your head up bro. Not everyone agrees with the way the Dolphins handled you and your situation. I for one do not feel much pride in this team with this situation, I think it was classless the way it was handled and I think you deserve better, all players that have the love and respect of their teammates desreve better and you had that with this team.

I hope your next stop is a good one and you return to form. You deserve it because of the hard work and the hart you've shown since this injury. I also want to thank you for wanting to help this team succeed and wanting to be a Dolphin. Even though you came back to soon and that decision probably cost you your future in Miami, I know you did so because you're a competitor and you want to succeed as much as any player on this team, including the pressure to win you faced in you decisions.

I'll root for you wherever you land, I think there are some serious flaws in NFL circles and sometimes the good guy's lose. I also have no problem with you forcing your release, there has to be some sorta of consequence for the treatment you've endored the last few months since the new coaching staff arrived and you aren't the only player to suffer such poor treatment around the league. I sat and watched Cam Cameron state with my own eyes and ears he wouldn't evaluate any player till they were a 100%, he obviously didn't mean you cause he obviously never intented on giving you that chance, even though the conversation at the time was about you.

I still love my team, but I just wanted you to know that not everything that happens with this team is something I'm proud to be a part of or watch.
    Just like when players do things wrong or make mistakes and the organization feels the need to seperate themselves and their actions or intentions from a players, I feel the need to do the same with this team at this time. I care more about the players then some individuals within the FO and more specifically the coaching staff at this point in time.

Stay strong Bro and thanks again for the effort, you're a class act.

FTP.

http://finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=199590
    Now thats funny. I wonder if FTP still snuggles with his Daunte blankie at night.
    I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Just like anyone here, all I can do is speculate, no one here knows the future any more than anyone else. At this point assumptions can be made positive or negative, and I welcome both. I've been wrong my fair share of times, these are just my personal opinion or my OBJECTIVE ASSUMPTIONS:

I wouldn't completely blame Green's performance 100% due to the concussion. Green is an air it out QB, fast paced type of offense. During the time he was gone, Edwards moved the offense to a slower power football relying on the defense more so compared to the past. I really don't think the new change in climate favored Green at all. IMO the style and enviroment really changed and Green wasn't a part of that offensive picture at that point anymore.

As far as the staff, there is still carryover from the last some years, as well as a important reunion with Cameron and Houck. Both can get completely on the same page and possibly reinvent a line like they did the year after the Chargers went 4-12, having success the year after. I trust their opinions a bit more than anyone on here, no offense. One of the great things about the o-line is that the oldest player is 30. Once the line can come together, they can potentially be good for a long time.

Obviously Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates didn't come with Cameron and Green. At this point there is a question mark with David Martin, he's flashed some good play, but injuries have prevented him from even being mentioned in any upper echelon of TEs. A good sign is that Cameron's offense favors the TE and Green has worked well with TEs in the past, and from mini camp reports he's already started to develop a positive rapport with Martin. We'll see what happens when they get in the pads.

Just like Gates, Tomlinson didn't make the flight either with Cameron. Be forewarned, it will be hard no to pull the Mularkey card when defending any positive changes to the Miami offense. As much as he liked his trick plays, Mularkey didn't seem to know what to do with Brown. Of any position, I'm really excited to see what kind of output Cameron can get out of Brown. I think the biggest thing Mularkey failed to do was utilize Brown's receiving skills. From what I've been reading it seems like Cameron will correct this. One of my favorite Brown plays (my avatar is from the game) was the catch out of the backfield when Brown hurdled the Bills defender on his way to his huge TD. Don't forget that Brown was also one of the few RBs last year that had an average of 4.4 yards and also was able to get more than 1,000 yards w/o playing a complete season, behind a suspect line, and via the playcalling of Mularkey.

I think the best thing Chambers needs is something he's hardly ever had during his porfessional career: a steady QB and a steady offense. At least he's shown that he's a team player by being able to adapt to any conditions, lol. Another positive I've heard about Cameron is that he's really good at getting the best of his players and put them in conditions that favor them. I've read that Cameron is going to move him around a lot, which seemed to be onbe of the best factors when he had his Pro Bowl year. I'm also curious to see what Hagan will do with a year under his belt. I think Hagan had some growing pains, but my gut is telling me to choose Hagan for the darkhorse player on offense. Hakim should provide speed until Ginn is able to mature into the position. As far as Ginn is concerned, why rush things. Since he was done with his committments to OSU he was able to practive with the team. Even at 90% Ginn was reminding people how fast he is during practice, seems like he's on the road to recovery. I think Cameron is making a good choice in using Ginn for ST and developing Ginn into the offense as Ginn matures. Outside of ST I envision Ginn to be used in special plays on the offense depending on the situation.

Who knows if Miami's offense is going to the #32 rated offense or the #3, but I can't wait to see what happens since Miami now has an offensive minded coach. It may not happen this year, but whenever it does happen it will be fun for this fan.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by !Papacrunk!
    Just like anyone here, all I can do is speculate, no one here knows the future any more than anyone else. At this point assumptions can be made positive or negative, and I welcome both.

It may not happen this year, but whenever it does happen it will be fun for this fan.
    I believe that Miami is exactly where Buffalo was a year ago. You guys are rebuilding and fixing the mistakes leftover from the previous regime. I think it starts with the OL and you folks will have some growing pains there.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,053 Times in 3,541 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by !Papacrunk!
    Who knows if Miami's offense is going to the #32 rated offense or the #3, but I can't wait to see what happens since Miami now has an offensive minded coach. It may not happen this year, but whenever it does happen it will be fun for this fan.
    I can accept that Miami's offense may be good in the future, but this year should be a wash.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal
    I can accept that Miami's offense may be good in the future, but this year should be a wash.
    I disagree with this... I think Miami will have a very good offense this season.

I have read all the posts in this thread and there seems that most believe that the OL will be the downfall of Miami this year. And this is based on the moves and the rookies brought in.

I have seen 1 post that even mentioned Houck. This will be his second year in Miami. The moves on the OL is his work. We all know what he did in San Diego and how he turned one of the worst OLs in the league to a very dominating line in 2 years... And it was then as it is now... He made changes in positions, rotating players from one to the other... He added a couple of rookies in the mix as well.

I seriously think that Miami is going to be in the hunt this year...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FINintheMOON
    I disagree with this... I think Miami will have a very good offense this season.

I have read all the posts in this thread and there seems that most believe that the OL will be the downfall of Miami this year. And this is based on the moves and the rookies brought in.

I have seen 1 post that even mentioned Houck. This will be his second year in Miami. The moves on the OL is his work. We all know what he did in San Diego and how he turned one of the worst OLs in the league to a very dominating line in 2 years... And it was then as it is now... He made changes in positions, rotating players from one to the other... He added a couple of rookies in the mix as well.

I believe it's his 3rd year. Saban signed him during Saban's 1st year.

It's great to be enthusiastic, but in June it's too early to say a team will suck or be in any kind of hunt. Wayyyyy tooo early.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's his 3rd year. And why didn't Houck, a guy who the Dolphins paid a ton of money to get him from SD thus they valued his input, change the lineup LAST year by putting Carey at LT, Shelton at RT, and Hadnot at RG, after the bye like the Bills did?

To me the moves on the O-line are being made because they realize that Carey is their best O-lineman and want to put him at the most important position. But going from RT to LT is not an easy feat. And Shelton proved he's a scrub at any OT position, while with the Cardinals. Hadnot could be a good RG but he seemed to play well at center so why move him? And rookies take time to adjust to their roles.

Again Green won't be playing behind the Chefs' pre-2006 O-line, an O-line which featured several Pro Bowlers. He also won't be handing-off to Priest Holmes or Larry Johnson, or throwing to Tony Gonzalez. And Chambers is their only real threat at WR (the jury is still out on Ginn), but he's been largely inconsistent. And they'll be playing in a new scheme.

As I said, I could see Miami's ofense being good in a year or so. But then next year, will Green still be starting and/or will Beck be ready to take over?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    Now thats funny. I wonder if FTP still snuggles with his Daunte blankie at night.
    that's the gayest thing I've ever read on a football board.

"crying? there's no crying in baseball , but there sure is writing love letters to your mancrush in football as far as the dolphins are concerned"

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FINintheMOON

JUst like McNAlly, Houck hasn't been able to do squat in MIami. Neither of them are miracle workers.

Hopefully the improvement of our OL in the 2nd half of last year will carry on to this year and even be better with the additions.

You can't compare SD to the fins since Houck wasn't able to do squat with your OL the last 2 years.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bills O-line vs. Miami O-line:

LT: Peters will continue to play at LT and is considered one of the best in the league already. Carey moving their from RT to LT this season. ADVATAGE BILLS.

LG: Derrick Dockery has played the position sucessfully. He's above average and will be solid. Miami has yet to determine who's playing the position but it most likely will be a rookie. ADVANTAGE BILLS.

C: Fowler played well for us at center and has played here his entire career. Satele is a second round rookie. ADVANTAGE BILLS.

RG: Whittle was brought in as veteran depth and may be our starter. Preston played the position but we can use the upgrade. We also have depth depending on where we go at RT with Butler, Merz or Pennington. Hadnof moves over from center to a new position. I put this in the speculation category so I'll call it a draw. DRAW.

RT: Langston Walkeris definately a big risk/reward signing. We gave a guy alot of money for his potential. We know he can play RG but he definately wasn't a world beater in Oakland at RT. Pennington played well at RT as a rookie so we do have a decent backup there as well. LJ Shelton was a player that the Bills could have traded for or signed and we didn't. Miami has him and is moving him to RT. ADVANTAGE MIAMI.

Miami is not returning one player from the end of the season back to their current position. The Bills are starting 5 players in positions that they all played a year ago as veterans. Where is Maimi's line better than the Bills?

Too sober for this... mysticsoto's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HHURRICANE
    Bills O-line vs. Miami O-line:

LT: Peters will continue to play at LT and is considered one of the best in the league already. Carey moving their from RT to LT this season. ADVATAGE BILLS.

LG: Derrick Dockery has played the position sucessfully. He's above average and will be solid. Miami has yet to determine who's playing the position but it most likely will be a rookie. ADVANTAGE BILLS.

C: Fowler played well for us at center and has played here his entire career. Satele is a second round rookie. ADVANTAGE BILLS.

RG: Whittle was brought in as veteran depth and may be our starter. Preston played the position but we can use the upgrade. We also have depth depending on where we go at RT with Butler, Merz or Pennington. Hadnof moves over from center to a new position. I put this in the speculation category so I'll call it a draw. DRAW.

RT: Langston Walkeris definately a big risk/reward signing. We gave a guy alot of money for his potential. We know he can play RG but he definately wasn't a world beater in Oakland at RT. Pennington played well at RT as a rookie so we do have a decent backup there as well. LJ Shelton was a player that the Bills could have traded for or signed and we didn't. Miami has him and is moving him to RT. ADVANTAGE MIAMI.

Miami is not returning one player from the end of the season back to their current position. The Bills are starting 5 players in positions that they all played a year ago as veterans. Where is Maimi's line better than the Bills?
    Good analysis with one exception, I can hardly see RT as ADVANTAGE MIAMI. We had a chance at LJ Shelton and didn't want him. And after seeing him play afterward in Cleveland, I understood why. He's horrible. I don't know how Butler or Walker fit into the picture, but I do know this...at this point, I would rather Pennington, who showed great improvement last year as the season went on, and has been working hard...over LJ Shelton, a has-been who never was!!! At worst, this is a DRAW, but personally, I still see us as having the advantage there also!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Where did Miami improve dramatically on offense? The OC position. We went from Mike Mularkey to the guy that directed the highest scoring offense in the league the last 2 years.

Only time will tell how long it takes to turn our offense into something respetable from the garbage it was last year but IMO the biggest improvement we made as a team from last year is in the offensive scheme/play-calling department.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I also disagree that the Dols have an advantage at RT or that it's even a draw, since Shelton is an overrated underproducing slug. I also disagree that RG is a draw since I think that Hadnot is a better RG than what the Bills will put there, until proven otherwise. The other positions I agree with.

And sure Miami's offensive scheme should be better, but it will take time to learn and get comfortable with it.

Registered Fish
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think it's way too early to bash any team, including the phins, but why is Miami going to be much improved when realistically they are in the midst of rebuilding?

How does the fact that no player on the O-line will be returning to their previous position not impact the play of the offense?

Vernon Carey is moving from RT to LT, LJ Shelton is moving to RT, Hadnof is moving to RG. You are going with a rookie at center in Satele and are threatening to start another rookie at LG. What am I missing here?

Add the fact that you have a new coaching staff, new QB, new skill players, and few players returning, how are you better?
    The offense was bad last year. Many changes were made because of how bad the offense was. Not making changes would have been the wrong thing to do. There are clearly questions that will not get answered until the season starts, but the changes needed to be made.

1. New coaching on offense. This has to be considered an upgrade.
    2. New QB. This should be considered an upgrade.

These were the two biggest problems with the offense last season.

3. New skill players. The new FB is an upgrade. Ted Ginn will be given time to work in. Anything he adds is an upgrade from last season. The TE will need to stay healthy, but McMichael didn't play very well last season.

4. OL. This is the biggest area of concern and could outweigh all of the other improvements.

IMO, the Bills have very similar issues on the OL. The OL was bad last year. Time will tell whether the new players will result in a better OL. I think Dockery will be good, but Walker? No thanks.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by dolphan117
    Where did Miami improve dramatically on offense? The OC position. We went from Mike Mularkey to the guy that directed the highest scoring offense in the league the last 2 years.

Only time will tell how long it takes to turn our offense into something respetable from the garbage it was last year but IMO the biggest improvement we made as a team from last year is in the offensive scheme/play-calling department.
    I 100% agree on MM and have given several phins fans kudos there. It is an improvemnt no doubt to have Cameron over MM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan
    JUst like McNAlly, Houck hasn't been able to do squat in MIami. Neither of them are miracle workers.

Hopefully the improvement of our OL in the 2nd half of last year will carry on to this year and even be better with the additions.

You can't compare SD to the fins since Houck wasn't able to do squat with your OL the last 2 years.
    I disagree... Houck, in both of the previous years, made adjustments throughout each season that seen much better play from the OL. In both seasons there were new players on the line. This year he has a couple of rookies that he will try to put in but he does still have the bulk of the OL he had last year...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I 100% agree on MM and have given several phins fans kudos there. It is an improvemnt no doubt to have Cameron over MM.
    Exactly, although to be fair my good freind Ted would also have been an upgrade

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

EVery team in the NFL improved itself everywhere when its still June.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE