• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Briere rejects offer???

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
    I don't think he will get 8 mil but easily 6.5 or 7. We should have offered him 6 and hoped for the hometown discount. The deal we offered him was a slap in the face.
    I agree. But I think there will be a counter offer before Sunday.

Comment

• tampabay25690
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Mikey82
      $5 million a year is a slap in the face, considering he made that last year.
      Come on Mikey you honestly think he is worth that much more.....That is alot of $$$ $25 millll.......Well he is gone...
      GO Gators!!!!!!
      GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Philagape
        WIN NOW
        • Jul 2002

Eklund also says once Vanek is signed, which they seem to think is imminent, we'll increase the offers to both captains
        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
          I don't know where you are getting this info. No they said they would spend more than than did last year but not go all the way to the cap. They were right on the cap last year.
          Exactly. The cap is going to be between $48 million and $52 million. The Sabres' budget will probably be anywhere from $44 million to $46 million.

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by tampabay25690
            Come on Mikey you honestly think he is worth that much more.....That is alot of $$$ $25 millll.......Well he is gone...
            yeah, he's worth at least $6 million. Come on! The guy had 95 points in the season, 15 points in the postseason and was a fan favorite. He was getting $5 million last season alone. I would give him anywhere from $6-7 million a year. I think $6.5 does it.

Comment

• tampabay25690
              • Feb 2004

yeah, he's worth at least $6 million. Come on! The guy had 95 points in the season, 15 points in the postseason and was a fan favorite. He was getting $5 million last season alone. I would give him anywhere from $6-7 million a year. I think $6.5 does it.
              For 2 more then that you can have 1 of the elite players in the NHL. Well you know he won't get that here anyway. I thought $25 million is a good deal, He has that many points becasue of the system Buffalo Runs. You wait and see how he does if he leaves Buffalo and goes to a team like Phili. He will wish he signed back with Buffalo.......
              GO Gators!!!!!!
              GO GATORS!!

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                • May 2003

That is BS, this guy sat here at this time last year ripping this team for their lack of commitment to players and their inability to sign players to long term deals. Also that they were not commited to spend money. That is a fair offer for him and if this is true I am even that much more not a fan of his. If their offer is 5-years 25 million, he better take that offer. That playoff performance was pathetic. I hope he goes to Philadelphia or Montreal and then I can officially hate him.

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

5 yrs / $25m is just a starting offer. I am willing to bet that the Sabres FO already planns on paying both players up to $6m per season if they accept.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

The problem is, with a long term deal, you are guarenteeing him over 30 million. In addition, if he gets 6.5 then Drury gets 7 and you still have Vanek at 3 or so. So of you ~48 million cap, you over 1/3rd of that tied up in 3 guys. That is not good cap management and would kill the team in 2 to 3 years.
                    Originally posted by mysticsoto
                    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      The problem is, with a long term deal, you are guarenteeing him over 30 million. In addition, if he gets 6.5 then Drury gets 7 and you still have Vanek at 3 or so. So of you ~48 million cap, you over 1/3rd of that tied up in 3 guys. That is not good cap management and would kill the team in 2 to 3 years.
                      do you really think we are going to get vanek for 3mil?

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

I was being generous, but the point is the same.
                        Originally posted by mysticsoto
                        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                          Unreachable Douche
                          • Jul 2002

Briere is not a superstar. He does not deserve over $5 million a year. I could careless if he walks. The Sabres have won without him.

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            But what if Drury has no intention on staying here....

Then you lose both of them. And if you think Vanek is only going to cost $3 million a year, you're crazy! I could see him getting $4-5 per year from another team.

Comment

• Typ0
                              honey pie
                              • Jul 2002

if we lose both captains I can see another team throwing a boat load of $$ at Vanek.

Comment

Working...
                              X