• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raphael120
    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
    • Oct 2005

Anyone Listening to WGR?

Specifically Trent Edwards and Wright.

They're saying that when you're a team as bad as the Bills who have glaring holes, you don't have the luxury of picking picks like that, and they even compared that to what Donahoe did, and if you think about it, it kind of rings true. We didn't need Roscoe Parrish, and we picked him up anyways. And as of right now, he hasn't really done much.

They also bring up the fact that we shouldnt have wasted a 3rd and 4th round pick on these guys seeing as we already have plenty of RB depth and also we have JP Losman and pretty hefty money thrown at Nall which has gone to waste. Our defense was horrible and we needed people on D-line and corner. You may say, "well man, they aren't going to be instant starters because it takes awhile for a dlineman or a corner to get acclimated to the NFL". Well I'd have to retort, hey moron, we have Ko Simpson who was a 4th rounder, we have Kyle Williams who was a 5th rounder, and we have Keith Ellison who was a 6th rounder and they ALL started in their rookie season and are starting this season.

Unfortunately their 3rd rounder Ashton Youboty hasn't panned out yet, nor has McCargo. Its unfortunate that we didnt do well early on in the draft and had to start players who were drafted later on. This year we got 2 immediate starters, and the other guys we drafted are all depth, and you REALLY have to question the ineptitude of that. We brought in two guys when we had 4 holes! 5 if you count WR!

I think it's a good debatable topic.
  • Wally The Barber
    • Jul 2007

Re: Anyone Listening to WGR?

All I can say to that is...
    It takes 4 years to rate a draft!
    Some players take longer!

McCargo and Youboty had injuries and they are basically rookies!

Only a fool passes on Trent Edwards at #3!
    Beware of Sarcasm

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

OK, debate on/

1) I trust WGR to provide me with the most ignorrant, and cynical version of the facts

2) When 50% of the 1st round picks in the league turn out to be busts, I fail to see how 3rd or 4th rounders spent on decent backups is a waste

3) Should we have drafted McGahee and traded Travis? No, when hindsight is 20/20 probably not. Lets not forget that Travis slept with a minor and had a problem with fumbling.

WGR continues to prove that at best the media are morons and at worst they are as smart as your average scoop of mud

My opinion is that the media and some fans want:

The best free agents signed at rock bottom prices
      Trades for the best players without giving up draft picks or money
      Picking players that should have gone a solid round or more earlier
      An all world O and D line
      The rest of the roster stocked with late rounders or UFA's that are being payed as such but are playing like pro-bowlers
      Jim Kelly from day one
      Thurman Thomas from day one
      The best D in the league
      A perrenial league leader in sacks
      A hall of fame HC, and GM

So, considering most of the above are not hapenning any time soon for various reasons, I choose not to listen to WGR or some fans for that matter.

Its kind of an agreement with myself not to be sadomasochistic.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
        I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
        • Sep 2004

Opi, is that you??

Seriously they are right, but I'm just a fan, and I can't do anything in that regard, just to root or stop rooting for them, and I have decided to support and root for them. For us it could a game or more than that, but for them it is only business.
        The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• Wally The Barber
          • Jul 2007

I believe I saw a poll here before the draft and 80% of you guys said YOU ALWAYS TAKE THE BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER!
          20% of you guys are killing me!
          Beware of Sarcasm

Comment

• raphael120
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by jp-era
            OK, debate on/

1) I trust WGR to provide me with the most ignorrant, and cynical version of the facts

2) When 50% of the 1st round picks in the league turn out to be busts, I fail to see how 3rd or 4th rounders spent on decent backups is a waste

3) Should we have drafted McGahee and traded Travis? Now, when hindsight is 20/20 probably not. Lets not forget that Travis slept with a minor and had a problem with fumbling.

WGR continues to prove that at best the media are morons and at worst they are as smart as your average scoop of mud

My opinion is that the media and some fans want:

The best free agents signed at rock bottom prices
            Trades for the best players without giving up draft picks or money
            Picking players that should have gone a solid round or more earlier
            An all world O and D line
            The rest of the roster stocked with late rounders or UFA's that are being payed as such but are playing like pro-bowlers
            Jim Kelly from day one
            Thurman Thomas from day one
            The best D in the league
            A perrenial league leader in sacks
            A hall of fame HC, and GM

So, considering most of the above are not hapenning any time soon for various reasons, I choose not to listen to WGR or some fans for that matter.

Its kind of an agreement with myself not to be sadomasochistic.
            Ok can we get a response from someone who isn't so fanatical?

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

A CB may not have started, but he would certainly have contributed more than Edwards, who hopefully won't see the field at all.

The thing about Edwards is, it's a worthwhile pick ONLY if several other things happen. If JP has a long-term injury, that's a bad thing in itself and it would just be a wash. If JP doesn't get hurt then Trent stays on the bench, and the pick is good only if another team gives us a higher pick for him, which is far from a given. And that's only if he turns out to be any good. Too many variables.
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by raphael120
                Ok can we get a response from someone who isn't so fanatical?
                Dont mistake my response for a response meant to point fingers at fans here. I would rather discuss quantum mechanics with the dumbest poster here then talk the fastest way to get to work (WGR studio) on the opening day of training camp with those clowns.

90% of the posters have more valuable opinions than ANY of those hacks.

Comment

• raphael120
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by The last buffalo fan
                  Opi, is that you??

Seriously they are right, but I'm just a fan, and I can't do anything in that regard, just to root or stop rooting for them, and I have decided to support and root for them. For us it could a game or more than that, but for them it is only business.
                  Well for fans its an investment, emotionally and monetarily. Will I root for them? Sure. Will I support them? heck yeah! Will I be as enthusiastic if we end up 7-9 again? Nope. Will I support the FO? Why should I? What have they shown that they're turning the franchise around? (This is if theyre 7-9 or less, or even 8-8)

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

I would not disagree that they were luxury picks that came at a very cheap price based on the bills value chart and scouts grades. Too early to tell though if they are mistakes.

The bills must think highly of the talent they already have to miss out on drafting their needs.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• raphael120
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by jp-era
                      Dont mistake my response for a response meant to point fingers at fans here. I would rather discuss quantum mechanics with the dumbest poster here then talk the fastest way to get to work (WGR studio) on the opening day of training camp with those clowns.

90% of the posters have more valuable opinions than ANY of those hacks.
                      I dunno, I'm from out of state and to get Bills info, I listen to WGR. I don't see why people think they're so bad. I'll take WGR over ESPN radio BS anyday. Mike and Mike? Are you kidding me?

Comment

• raphael120
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                        I would not disagree that they were luxury picks that came at a very cheap price based on the bills value chart and scouts grades. Too early to tell though if they are mistakes.

The bills must think highly of the talent they already have to miss out on drafting their needs.
                        Ok...here's the big question then. If we go 7-9 or worse next season and JP shows no improvement, or very little, do we not resign him and start Edwards? You agree with me that he should excel so much better with the line and Lynch, right? So he has no excuses this year?

Comment

• Wally The Barber
                          • Jul 2007

It always comes down to patience in Buffalo.

We can second guess every GM and coach since 1964
                          Beware of Sarcasm

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                            I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Philagape
                            A CB may not have started, but he would certainly have contributed more than Edwards, who hopefully won't see the field at all.

The thing about Edwards is, it's a worthwhile pick ONLY if several other things happen. If JP has a long-term injury, that's a bad thing in itself and it would just be a wash. If JP doesn't get hurt then Trent stays on the bench, and the pick is good only if another team gives us a higher pick for him, which is far from a given. And that's only if he turns out to be any good. Too many variables.
                            Think about the first day of this year's camp.

Originally posted by justasportsfan

They are running the show, and we really don't know what's in there or inside the organization. I'm not a good scout, hell I'm not even a football player nor a coach, but IMO there weren't players availables on the 3rd or 4th round that worthed the pick, and let's be honest, not even at the FA this year.
                            The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• Elminster
                              #1 Kelsay Fan
                              • Oct 2006

It seems silly to take a 3rd-round corner to compete with a...how long has McGee been here again? and a 3rd-round corner from last year. The time to pick a corner with immediate impact was the first two rounds, and obviously, we didn't go that route and I don't think anyone is complaining about having Marshawn Lynch and Paul Poluszney. I'm also happy with signing Dockery instead of re-signing Clements. Line over corners, nearly every time.

As for Edwards....he was a great value. Who was on the board then...Daymeighon Hughes? I'm interested in hearing how he's doing, wherever he is. And are seriously going to tell me we could expect to find a starter in the 5th? The truth of the matter is that so many guys started because we had injuries and Donahoe left the cupboard bare, and, thankfully, they were quick studies, and probably exceeded our staff's expectations in terms of learning curve. I very much like Edwards for the following reasons...

1) If JP regresses(which seems highly unlikely, but, hey, it could happen) Edwards is a vastly more legitimate insurance policy than Craig Nall.

2) Trent Edwards, as mentioned above, could start in a year or two, on many teams. And thus makes a perfect back-up. He could also lead to a Schaub scenario where JP goes down, Edwards plays well, and we get some picks for him.

Really....drafting isn't easy. Best player available and need-based drafting are both lacking approaches. You must balance value vs. need....and who can argue that we couldn't use better QB and RB depth? A-Train won't be here forever, and if you count Shaud as "depth", you're kidding yourself....and I don't think Nall makes anyone feel safe...
                              Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

Working...
                              X