If the season were to start right now ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HenryRules
    • Jul 2002

If the season were to start right now ...

if the season were to start right now, I don't think the Bills would be capable of a .500 record. Here's my reasons,

First, while Reed may be able to step in and fill Price's role on offense, we now have absolutely no depth whatsoever on offense. Whereas last year, an injury to Bledsoe would have been the only injury we would have had trouble dealing with, and even then, with Moulds, Price, and Henry, and a switch to a shorter passing game getting more use out of Centers or Riems we would have enabled someone like AVP to have some success. Now, if any of Bledsoe, Moulds, Henry, or Teague go down, we are in deep trouble. If Bledsoe or Moulds goes down, we're gonna start seeing 8 or 9 in the box due to an inability to have any deep passing game whatsoever. If Teague goes down, we have no one to play center at all. Last year, if Moulds (or Price) went down, we could increase Reed's or Riems involvement in the offense ... this year we can start to pass the ball more to Shaw or Campbell, not anywhere near the quality of last year. Last year we had Conaty to backup at center, this year ... i dunno who. Over the course of a season with our current offensive personnel, we'd be extremely lucky to finish in the top 15 offenses in the league.

Then we have our defense. First let me say that I love the signings of Posey and Spikes. However, while replacing Robinson was probably our biggest need on defense, Posey for Newman wasn't needed nearly as much as depth at CB/DT and with the release of Jenkins, now S. While our starters are improved over last year, that's partly because last year's starters were horrible. And still, if any of Pat Williams, Spikes, Fletcher, Winfield, Clements, or Wire goes down, our defense will be just as bad if not worse than last year's. Even when all healthy, our defense will probably be middle of the pack (10-15) or so simply because we do not have the # of quality DTs or corners needed to succeed in today's NFL where having 3 starting-quality CBs and a 4th worthy of being a nickel CB is mandatory for being a top-level D. Add in an injury to any of the forementioned players, and we're back to being in the bottom 10 D's. Not a very good outlook at all.

Finally, our special teams. If Lindell signs, I think that's a big improvement over Hollis. If our kicking hadn't been so horrible the year before, there's no way that Hollis would get the respect he got last year. The guy was middle-of-the-pack at best on field goals/consistency and one of the worst at kickoffs. Lindell will help us big time. Signing Shaw to help our punt return while looking good on paper is probably going to be wasted. I really think that our special teams problem is more coaching-related then it is personnel-related. Why we didn't replace Danny Smith when we replaced Ronnie Vinklarek I will probably never understand. While I think Pat Ruel could be an upgrade over Vinklarek and I think last year's OL could have pass blocked better, I don't think our OL underperformed anywhere near as badly as our ST's did.

So, if we're almost completely healthy this year, I see us having a middle of the road offense, a middle of the road defense, and bad return/coverage teams, which would probably be good enough for right about .500. Toss in the expected injuries, which we're probably due to get considering how lucky we were last year, and with the players we have right now, I think 7-9 would be an achievement.

All that being said, I love the work that TD did last year and hope he can duplicate that success the rest of this offseason, I just don't see people available on the free agent market that can really help us. And unlike many others here, I don't expect much to be available after June 1st. Aside from Washington, no one has gone ultra crazy since free agency started, and at the start there weren't as many teams in bad cap situations as there normally are anyway.
    Last edited by HenryRules; 03-22-2003, 04:11 PM.
  • casdhf
    • Jul 2002

Our defense was descent at the end of the season, I think we're a 10 win team right now
    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Voltron
      • Jul 2002

I some what agree with you HR but let's see what happens in June after the June first cuts. TD has said on many occasion that this is only the begining. Backups will be added after June first and i think Conaty will resign if TD wants him here. He has been no where so far in FA that I have seen on this site at least.
      Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
      - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
      -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      - Mark Twain

Comment

• The Natrix
        • Jul 2002

I made a long post but I couldn't send it for some reason.

anyway, it basically said that your whole premise is flimsy at best.

Byrd.

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

i would agree with about 90% of what you said..

dt being the key to our defense leaves us very vunerable right now with no worthy replacements avaiable via FA.. that means that we are looking at a rookie being there which means we cant expect much or a retred that got owned from last year.

we shall see.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• HenryRules
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Natrix
            I made a long post but I couldn't send it for some reason.

anyway, it basically said that your whole premise is flimsy at best.
            I'm curious ... which of the following statements do you believe:

We have good depth at the skill positions on offense.

We have good depth on the interior offensive line.

We have good depth anywhere on defense.

We have good special teams coaching.

None of the above are important to a winning team.

Comment

• casdhf
              • Jul 2002

They're definately not as important as good starters. We had good depth on D last year. We started about 5 backups.
              Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
              cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• HenryRules
                • Jul 2002

I agree that without solid starters you have no chance at being a good team, but in a 16-game season, you have to be able to deal with injuries as well, and I don't think our depth allows us to deal with any injuries at all.

Comment

• kgun12
                  • Jul 2002

Here where your wrong. Name any team in the NFL with good back ups! Are WR's right now are better than NE, the Bucs, and the Ravens the year they won the SB. Our O line is solid to include back up Price, Conaty hasn't signed with anyone yet so once he finds out what he's worth the Bills will either sign him or draft our back-up. OH YEA IT'S FRECKIN MARCH!lol!
                  Retired Air Traffic Controller
                  USAF VETERAN
                  DAV

Comment

• HenryRules
                    • Jul 2002

KGun,
                    I agree its March, that's why I said that I hope TD does better the rest of the offseason, I just don't see why everyone else is so excited. As far as naming teams that have good backups ... I think the other teams in our division have backups at least as good as ours.

On the Pats - Kevin Faulk looked pretty solid when he was used last year and Daniel Graham is a good TE option to have if Fauria goes down, Huard isn't great but not bad. Couldn't tell you a thing about their OL-depth due to my ignorance of backup OL around the league. That's pretty solid offensive depth for a team with a Belichek D. Their D is hard to judge right now - I doubt Harrison or Jones is a backup safety to start the season, but Phifer and Poole are pretty solid guys to have that aren't starters (I'll count McGinest as the starter at LB, if he's considered a backup, then he's pretty solid there as well). And Vinateri is money on special teams which is what I think our main failing is. They've also got 2 high 1st rounders to provide solid depth.

The Fins - I can't believe I have to say they're good to make a point, but here goes - with Mare, their kicking game is gonna be solid ... and I think Surtain-Madison-Fletcher is a very solid CB threesome. Robert Edwards would give me a lot more confidence than Joe Burns (I think Sammy Morris is moving into Centers' role now and is no longer a backup RB but a FB). Don't know much more about their offseason, so I can't comment any further.

The Jets - Testaverde is a solid backup QB - horrible starter, but for a game or two, I'd take him hands down over AVP ... Santana Moss as a 3rd WR is better than Shaw IMO and Lamont Jordan looked pretty good last year. Their special teams and defensive depth are hurting, but I think they're having a horrible offseason and don't think its a good thing to think "we're better off than the Jets". Another team with a couple of first rounders which should help their depth.

Comment

• RedEyE
                      • Jul 2002

Nice post HR. I agree for the most part. The offense is weaker, the defense has only filled the middle of the field. I think that Lindell is a gamble (look at his #s in 2001) and Hollis should have recieved the contract instead. In short, we were .500 last season and I feel that we are weaker offensively this season. With all other solid FAs signed the Bills will have to rely on young draftees to fill holes - that won't happen. I'm dissapointed in the release of Centers. His rcv abilitites are greatly needed this season without Price and Jay R. Crosby can't catch a cold. Henry is going to have to step it up a notch and hang onto the ball. All the young players and all the new Bills are going to need time to find chemisty. IMO the Bills will be lucky to make .500 again this season the rest of the division is strong and will give our DL fits. Not sure what happened in the Adams negotiations, but we really need him. Shaw is a special teamer not a real recieve threat. Reed will hav to fill Price's shoes with less weapons diverting the attention of the opposing defense.

Comment

• Seano
                        • Mar 2003

HR , I can't sit through your entire post!! Maybe one discertation but not two in one thread. I'm assuming the end of your last statement was about no depth . Shaw isn't bad, Jennings can play center , Price is very underated--Marcus not Peerless, Kevin Thomas? will come on as the third CB, Preliou will become the back up SS and we're full of second string D-linemen we just need a couple first stringers. IN SHORT we'll be OK after the draft and then June.

Comment

• HenryRules
                          • Jul 2002

As far as our WRs being better than the Pats, Bucs, Ravens when they won the Super Bowl.
                          The Ravens had one of the best D's of all time - our D is mediocre at best.
                          The Pats D played amazing in the playoffs - our D is mediocre at best.
                          I respectfully disagree that Johnson, McCardell, and Jurevicius are worse than Moulds, Reed, and Shaw. And if you're talking about receiving threats in general, which was my main point, Pittman is better than Henry and Dilger/Dudley is better than Moore/Campbell. Oh, and the Bucs D was arguably the best in football last year - our D is mediocre at best.

Comment

• colin
                            Drew's my hero!
                            • Jul 2002

The offense was together for the first time, with 4 linemen new to their position, and nearly all young. New QB, and a new offense.

Although we lost price, every other aspect of our O is gonna improve considerably.

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

jenning can NOT play center.. no way..
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X