Thread: Bengals lose out on Pittman but improve team

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bengals lose out on Pittman but improve team

By John Clayton

One of the fascinating parts of the post cutdown period is watching teams trying to fill needs right before the season starts.

On Sunday, half the league -- 16 teams -- received waiver claims on young players who were cut on Saturday. Overall, 30 of 35 players who were claimed went to different teams, with the Bengals and the Panthers leading the way with three waiver claims apiece.

Check out all the NFL transactions as they cross the wire. Teams had to make their final roster cuts Saturday to reach the mandatory limit of 53 players. Transactions

The big winner of the day might have been the Bengals. They lost out on a waiver claim on fourth-round choice Antonio Pittman, a Saints running back who was released. He went to the Rams who had a priority position in the claiming system because of their record in a tiebreaker. Both teams finished 8-8 last year.

Instead, the Bengals received undrafted Harvard halfback Clifton Dawson from the Colts. The Bengals needed a backup runner because of injuries to backups Kenny Irons and Chris Perry. The Bengals added depth on defense. They claimed cornerback David Jones, a fifth-round choice of the Saints, and linebacker Anthony Schlegel from the Jets.

Schegel might be the best choice. He comes to a depleted Bengals linebacking crops.

The Panthers tried to fill a few backup needs. They beat out the Chiefs for Oregon State quarterback Matt Moore, who was cut by the Cowboys, They put tight end Michael Gaines on injured reserve and added Marcus Freeman, a tight end cut by Baltimore. They shuffled their backup offensive line by claiming tackle Frank Omiyale of the Falcons and releasing two former draft choices -- Rashad Butler and Will Montgomery.

The Packers were active in the fullback market. They put in claims for John Kuhn of the Steelers, Lousaka Polite of the Cowboys and Derek Schouman of the Bills. From those three, the Packers chose Kuhn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ohn&id=3002525

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bengals lose out on Pittman but improve team

Coach Cam Cameron’s ties to the San Diego Chargers helped produce a couple of more players for the Dolphins.
    The Dolphins were awarded wide receiver Greg Camarillo and offensive linemen Cory Lekkerkerker and Gene Mruczkowski off waivers. Camarillo and Lekkerkerker played for the Chargers last season - Cameron’s last as the team offensive coordinator.
    I guess it's good to get more o-line depth, especially if they have experience at both guard and center

In other news, the Dolphins signed four players to the practice squad on Sunday - tight end Aaron Halterman, safety Tuff Harris, guard Marquay Love and offensive tackle Julius Wilson. Teams are allowed eight players on their practice squads.
    PalmCoast

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by !Papacrunk!
    I guess it's good to get more o-line depth, especially if they have experience at both guard and center
    Mruckowski is a good guy who works hard, although not very good. He has been on the fringe of the Pats roster for a couple seasons, never good enough to make the team out of camp, but a guy they sign when injuries occur.

BTW, cruck, did you see the Pats signed Kyle Eckel to their practice squad after Miami released him. I guess it took them a couple years, but they got him back. Maybe Cobbs is next.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Evans worked out for you guys, maybe Eckel will now become that great player that he never really became here like Evans did. I've got a feeling we'll be holding on to Cobbs for a bit.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by !Papacrunk!
    Evans worked out for you guys, maybe Eckel will now become that great player that he never really became here like Evans did. I've got a feeling we'll be holding on to Cobbs for a bit.
    Jesse Chapman was a nice find as well, now that he has his weight under control. People forget he put up great numbers as Tomlinson's backup before they got Michael Turner. I love the way Chapman runs, he has a great burst and is a short, squat, bowling-ball of a runner who just bounced off guys.

Eckel is a guy who will make his mark as a ST guy who can play some H-Back/FB, catching balls out of the backfield and moving around. He is kind of like Heath Evans.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Chatman had a great preseason. He was with the Dolphins previously but I guess he didn't wow anyone when he was traded to the Saints when his weight got the best of him. It seemed like Booker was going to instantly get the extra touches, but Chatman's performance in the preseason and his previous experience with Cameron changed that idea.