Vince Wilfork almost a Bill, instead of Losman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

Vince Wilfork almost a Bill, instead of Losman?

There is an article in today's Boston Herald about Vince Wilfork, the Patriots NT. The article talks about his slipping in the draft, and has several interesting quotes from Tom Modrak.

Here are the relevant parts for the Bills:

“I remember watching him drop,” said Bills scouting director Tom Modrak. “When he got close to New England, I said, ‘Oh no. This is where he’s going.’ He couldn’t have gone somewhere out west so we’d only have to see him once every three years?”
    The Bills and Bears showed the most interest, picking 13th and 14th, respectively.

“The truth is we had two guys targeted,” Modrak said. “They were Lee (Evans) and Vince. They were 1A and 1B for us. If one was gone, we were going to take the other. Lee was our first choice and we thought he was going to be special, but we loved Vince. We had him in for a great visit and he talked about playing in Buffalo and the snow. He was ready to roll.”
    Wilfork nearly went at 13, but with Evans still available, the Bills grabbed the Wisconsin receiver while contemplating how to trade back into the first round, which they eventually did at No. 22 for quarterback J.P. Losman. “If we had had the 14th pick, too, Vince wouldn’t have slid,” Modrak said.
    John Tomase, who wrote the story, added some additional details in his blog. He wrote that Modrak said the Bills were going to take Wilfork at #22, but when he went off the board they went to plan B and took Losman:

One bit that didn’t make the story was this nugget from Bills scouting director Tom Modrak, who said the Bills were torn at No. 13 over whether to take Wilfork or receiver Lee Evans. They ended up going with Evans and it’s a hard pick to fault after he caught 82 passes for 1,292 yards and eight TDs last year.

The Bills later traded back into the first round in a deal with the Cowboys for the 22nd pick, one slot after Wilfork went. They used the pick on quarterback J.P. Losman, but according to Modrak would have taken Wilfork if he had been available, believing they could get Losman a round later, especially since three quarterbacks had already been taken (Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger). Once Wilfork was gone, however, they didn’t want to take the chance of missing Losman.
    For those that aren't aware, Wilfork grew up a Bills fan, despite living in Florida, because of Bruce Smith and those Bills teams of the early 90's.

It is interesting that Wilfork, with his size and athleticism, would be a perfect fit at NT in the middle of the Bills line and would solve a lot of their problems up front. Tommy Harris would be a perfect fit playing the 3 technique beside him, and he went the pick after Evans. Imagine the defense you guys would have with those two playing together in the middle.
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Re: Vince Wilfork almost a Bill, instead of Losman?

I would have taken Wilfork for sure.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by gr8slayer
      I would have taken Wilfork for sure.
      I love stories like this. It shows how fortunes can change with a little draft luck, not that Evans was unlucky or anything. I love reading the thinking behind the picks, because it is rare you get the real story from the draft room.

When the Pats were picking in 2000, they they went into draft believing they would take a QB on Day 2 if the opportunity came up. Before the draft, they liked 2 QBs they thought they might have a shot at: Tom Brady and Tim Rattay. The scouts were split on which one to pick, so Bill Belichick dispatched his QB coach, Dick Rehbein (who died a couple years later) to work both out. Rehbein came back raving about Brady, and that swayed the Pats to take him over Rattay.

Think about that, how different would the Pats fortunes, as well as a lot of other teams, if they take Rattay instead of Brady?

Another tidbit about that pick: Brady was picked with a 6th round compensation pick they were awarded after the Jets signed Tom Tupa in free agency the year prior.

I love this kind of stuff, but I am digressing.

Comment

• bflojohn
        • Aug 2005

Another story I heard making the rounds years ago was the Philadelphia Eagles being absolutely in LOVE with soon to be Buffalo Bills WR Perry Tuttle. The Eagles got leapfrogged by Buffalo in the first round , and as a result were left flat footed. They regrouped and selected a WR nontheless, his name was Mike Quick!! The rest is history!!!

Comment

• bflojohn
          • Aug 2005

Man, you've got me revved!! I recall the 1985 Draft when the Bills held the number one overall pick. The franchise had languished for quite a few years, and Bruce Smith was coveted by the Philadelphia Stars of the USFL, who held his rights. It seemed that Bruce was on the verge of going the USFL route when, so the story goes, Gil Brandt, of the Dallas Cowboys called Bruce and told him, in essence, what an honor being picked #1 in the NFL Draft would be, and NOT to foul that up in any way (Paraphrasing obviously). Mr. Smith saw the light of that pearl of wisdom, and he was selected by our Bills.

Comment

• Goobylal
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by NE39
            It is interesting that Wilfork, with his size and athleticism, would be a perfect fit at NT in the middle of the Bills line and would solve a lot of their problems up front. Tommy Harris would be a perfect fit playing the 3 technique beside him, and he went the pick after Evans. Imagine the defense you guys would have with those two playing together in the middle.
            I was pulling for Harris and then Wilfork. And the Bills would have been fine on defense if they'd kept Pat Williams. But imagine him with either one of them!

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

I'd rather have Evans, but Wilfork is awesome.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

I love Evans but would have taken Wilfork.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Elminster
                  #1 Kelsay Fan
                  • Oct 2006

Well, I don't see the use of this. Interesting tidbit, but what happened happened and we cannot tell whether we would have been better or worse off because only one chain of events actually ocurred....
                  Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• jamze132
                    Don’t hate…
                    • Jun 2003

If we didn't get Losman, I wonder who would be our QB today. I would bet that Bledsoe would have stuck around at least another year.

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

Originally posted by jamze132
                      If we didn't get Losman, I wonder who would be our QB today. I would bet that Bledsoe would have stuck around at least another year.
                      Maybe Cutler, Young or Leinart. Bledsoe probably would have been here for the 2005 season, thus paving the way for the Bills to grab one of those big three QBs in the '06 draft.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Bills took CB Derrick Burroughs instead of WR Jerry Rice

Comment

• Bling
                          • Jul 2004

I'm curious how many players the Pats missed out on. I'm sure Belicheck has that on lock down, so we'll never know, but I wouldn't be surprised if the guru had missed out or made some dumb picks in his career.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

Great story NE39.

Here's one even further from the year before.

I heard in 2006 that in 2003 Modrak with the 23rd pick wanted to take Eric Steinbach, and Donahoe insisted on taking Willis McGahee.

Vince is the man, but Lee Evans was the right pick for us.. Sucks about Vince going one pick before JP though.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by jamze132
                              Good question.

If we dont draft a QB (Losman) in 2004 then we almost certainly would've in 2005.

We traded the first rounder (2oth) to Dallas that year for Losman the year before.

I mean- who's to say for sure, maybe we will that need via FA. But for the sake of discussion-- let's say they drafted the QB of the "future" the following year.

It probably would've been Aaron Rodgers-- who went 22nd (two picks after Buffalo would've picked) to Green Bay. Jason Campbell went to the Skins' with the next pick.

It's impossible to say how Rodgers would be for us, because he's been literally stuck behind Bret Favre in Green Bay.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X