Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Partial NHL 2K8 Review

Virginia Beach, VA, USA, Earth, Milky Way
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My Partial NHL 2K8 Review

Ok, First off, Im a Big Fan of the 2K Series, Since its Original Release on the Dream cast, YES THE DREAM CAST.. lol... which i still have...

OK,

First Off, This is a Partial Review, as I Have not done EVERYTHING the game has to offer Yet.. so...

Graphics,
    Are Simply Mindblowing when compared to Previous Games, The Player Models are alot cleaner 3d wise as well as texture mapping, some cleaner animations for shooting and passing, the goalies look tons better, as well as the net, yes, the Goal :), it has more detail, trust me, the Arenas themselves seem to be cleaned up a bit too. Most Of the Player faces are decently recognizable, overall the new graphics make me want to play this game with the camera zoomed in more :)

Graphics : 9.5/10

Sound,
    Like Previous Releases, Pending the Fall Update, lol, we'll See if the custom soundtracks/music stays working, but for now, its one of the main reasons I continue to stay with this title, I simply cant stand listening to some 3rd party amateur random recording when I score, its Authentic goal horns or nothing!, this year there seems to be more ambient noise at the arena's, from people blowing horns and hitting bells what not, it took a few slider adjustments to get the sound levels correct on my Surround sound system. The Ability to add your own music for scoring, opens up the way to add a better sounding crowd roar (trust me, mix a lil crowd roar with your goalhorn/music), the sounds of sticks hitting the ice, pucks, boards, are all present and done well, the only down fall is the thunk when I zing a 90 Mph Slapshot off the post...... I wanna DING !!, lol, not a Thunk...

Sounds : 9.4/10

Game Play,
    Ok, here goes, the New Controls, are hard to get used to, dont jump right into Hall Of Famer Games against the AI, they will literally own you, take it slow, run a few games at each level while getting used to the new controls, which I myself am only at about 80% there, i still find my self hitting "X" to shoot and "A" to pass/switch players, lol, running the prostick tutorial might help alot too, once you get used to the new pro-stick controls, you'll eventually be unstoppable, you can deke AI players, and all sorts of crazy moves to just pretty much skate where ever you want (this was an analogy), and not to mention the superstar moves :), sweetness, The New Face Off System is just downright GOLD, it cant get any better than this without actually going to the rink!! The Goalies Are a TON better than previous releases, they respond better to loose pucks and pucks over the head, and they come out on breakaways and shootouts, (again depending on the difficulty levels and sliders), Im Still Tweaking my sliders like i do every years, usually takes a week or so, so, I'll post my "Realistic" Settings when Im done with them.

Game Play : 9.6/10

Presentation,
    Finally, a NEW menu System, OMG, 2K8 is like the best thing ever, lol, the new menus look nice, they tend to be confusing at first, but after you take a while and look at the options its actually sorted pretty well, everything is located across the top of the screen and its a scrolling drop down menu, saves you from having to go thru several Different screens just to get to a settings screen, like previous years.

On Ice Presentation is Good, Decent Camera Angles and Overlays, My Serious Beef is the Freeze/Lag On Penalties and some cut scenes, I Dunno if everyone has this issue, but when theres a delayed penalty and the team touches up, the game freezes for a second, to retrieve data from the disk or something, but it does this as well on some broadcast cut scenes (right before the overlay info comes up), again, its like its reading the disk or HDD, My HDD is a brand new 120 GB, I might clear the cache to get rid of any 2K7 residue in the cache, but I think its a game issue, maybe.

Presentation : 9.0/10

Franchise/Season,
    OMG, Have I Never had so many options before!, Seriously, theres so many tings to do in franchise modes it isnt funny, I cant really say more than that until I get more playtime under my belt, overall impression is awesome though, player negotiations, waivers, cba, cap, all this stuff.

Franchise/Season : 9.5/10

Player/Team Creation,
    What More can I Say?, there are a plethora of things to do here, I've created both players and teams, and lets just say there are ALOT of options for both, only down side, is players have "Set" heads (30 or so) and they aren't configurable like past (facial hair etc), This is where the VISION camera would come in handy, slap your own face on a head, lol.. and use it for the Presentation Overlays as well.

Player/Team Creation: 9.0/10

Grand Total : 56/60
    Skate Zilla
    -----------------------
    Skate Zilla HD Studios:
    SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats. BlackMetalNinja's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: My Partial NHL 2K8 Review

Wow... I'm shocked...

No offense, but it's more than obvious that you're just enamored with this series since some of the things you bring up as it's strong points are things I'm reading in all the other reviews as real let downs.

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You're either an EA guy or a 2K guy. Im with Skatezilla NHL2K8 Rocks hard!
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not saying it's a bad game or anything like that... but 9.33/10???? Only the very best games I've ever played would get a rating that high, and generally sports games aren't that high since they don't change that much from year to year.

It also amuses me that the pro stick he reviews as being so awesome is just copying EA's skill stick.

I can't make a judgement either way since I haven't played 2k8, but I did play last year's and didn't like it very much at all.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMetalNinja

It also amuses me that the pro stick he reviews as being so awesome is just copying EA's skill stick.
    They both rip each other off... ea took the juke stick from 2K5 and they took the espn license from them too.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MBBedard
    They both rip each other off... ea took the juke stick from 2K5 and they took the espn license from them too.
    I'm just wondering how long this new evolution in games will continue to pretty much not use the face buttons on the controller at all.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not true.

I'm a 'best quality game' guy.

There have been years where I prefered NFL 2K (when it was still around) to Madden and vice versa... This notion that you have to be a fanboy of one or the other is bush league.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Takeo
    Not true.

There have been years where I prefered NFL 2K (when it was still around) to Madden and vice versa... This notion that you have to be a fanboy of one or the other is bush league.
    Not really. People dont want to bounce all over the place with controls.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Doesn't take me long to get used to a control scheme. I have been gaming since I was like 5 years old though...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

EA's Goalie Mode is a Clean Rip Off of 2K's Crease Control.

ANd 2k had "Total Stick Control" since 2K4, which is the same thing as pro stick, just less buttons to hold down... so who's copying who?

Thanks
    Thanked 24,470 Times in 14,178 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SkateZilla
    EA's Goalie Mode is a Clean Rip Off of 2K's Crease Control.

ANd 2k had "Total Stick Control" since 2K4, which is the same thing as pro stick, just less buttons to hold down... so who's copying who?

Better yet who cares?!
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I bought NHL 08. It is sweet! I am all for trying 2k8 though. EA08 is fantastic so far. Big upgrade over last year. They have online leagues as well!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Takeo
    Not true.

I agree! Fanboys=gayboys!

Sabres Zone
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by THATHURMANATOR
    I agree! Fanboys=gayboys!
    “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Sabres Zone
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

CASE CLOSED

All-Pro Zoner BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

must be nice to have a choice, I only have one choice and that's NHL08 because I have a PC and NHL2k8 isn't made for the PC and I can't afford to go out and buy an XBox or a Playstation for $300 I have 3 kids to care for. So I gotta stick with EA Sports NHL08 for the PC. I've been playing EA Sports NHL series since the Sega Genisis (WOW! there's a name I haven't heard in a long time)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I reviewed NHL 08 already, sum it up, it got a 57.3/60, i cant paste my review because i did it for a website, dunno if they posted it or not.

Graphics 9.8/10,
    Sound: 9.2
    Game Play : 9.4/10
    Presentation : 9.5/10
    Franchise/Season : 9.7/10
    Player/Team Creation: 9.7/10

83evans

Wow... I'm shocked...

No offense, but it's more than obvious that you're just enamored with this series since some of the things you bring up as it's strong points are things I'm reading in all the other reviews as real let downs.

Nhl 2k8 has the worst gameplay out of any game I have ever played. Skating is weak and its impossible to set us on offence. 8.0

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by 83evans
    Nhl 2k8 has the worst gameplay out of any game I have ever played. Skating is weak and its impossible to set us on offence. 8.0
    It's the worst game you've ever played, yet it's an 8.0... Forgive me, but after reading your other threads, I don't think I'll trust your opinion on anything... ever.

83evans

It's the worst game you've ever played, yet it's an 8.0... Forgive me, but after reading your other threads, I don't think I'll trust your opinion on anything... ever.

If you get the game it will be a huge mistake. 2k8 doesnt come close to NHL 08 in anything. Not even graphics.