X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Bills hope Toronto is cash cushion

Toronto. Is it the ultimate threat to Buffalo, as a possible new home for the Buffalo Bills?

Or should it be viewed as part of the solution, as a valuable addition to the Bills’ expanding geographic market — and as a way to ease, slightly, the financial burden for seasonticket holders?

After hearing the team is seeking to move one regular-season game to Toronto each year through 2012, many Buffalo Bills fans fear the news signals a parade of vans heading up the QEW, from Orchard Park to Toronto.

Local business leaders, though, seem to take the Bills at their word, that this is being done to help strengthen the Bills’ marketing efforts in Southern Ontario.

“Is this the first step in the team moving to Toronto?” asked Erkie Kailbourne, chairman emeritus of the Business Backs the Bills committee. “I would say no. This is an appropriate strategy for the Bills to continue to attract Canadian fans, and more importantly, business support for their premium seating.”

Moving one Bills home game to Toronto each year seems like a dramatic attempt to rectify what probably has been the team’s biggest off-field weakness in the last decade — selling suites and club seats to Southern Ontario businesses.

Hosting an annual game in Toronto could be seen as the northern equivalent to the Bills moving their training camp to the Rochester suburb of Pittsford in 2000. That has been an unqualified success in strengthening the team’s Rochester- area support. Business leaders look at the economic strength of any potential market. So when the Bills talk about extending their reach into northwestern Pennsylvania, the Southern Tier and the Rochester and Syracuse areas, these business leaders see a largely stagnant economy similar to Buffalo’s.

Then they look across the international bridges to Canada — where they see growth, a stronger dollar and a huge potential market for the Bills.

“We must find new business revenue for our premium seating, and that’s the only market that has the growth and demographics to yield that at the present time,” Kailbourne said.

Anyone looking at this from a business perspective would have a tough time opposing the bold marketing venture into Canada, said Jonathan A. Dandes, president of Rich Baseball Operations.

“Long term, big picture, if it helps stabilize the franchise and creates more fans in Southern Ontario, how can you be against it?” he asked.

Still, some of these business leaders remain wary about what will happen when Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. passes from the scene.

Ronald K. Zoeller, who co-chaired the Business Backs the Bills committee that helped sell enough premium seats in 1998 to ensure the team stayed here, had typical reactions to the Toronto news.

His initial gut reaction was negative, that this could be the forerunner to the Bills playing more and more games in Toronto.

Then, he took the Bills at their word and decided that playing some games in Toronto represents no threat to the team moving there permanently — as long as Wilson stays healthy.

• Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills hope Toronto is cash cushion

This is a different point of view for the whole thing and it's actually very interesting. I mean, they moved training camp to Rochester and that strengthened the fan base in Rochester and the season ticket base. Now they can try doing the same thing with 1 or 2 games a year in Toronto. Plus, now it has gotten cheaper for Buffalo fans to buy season tickets. You have 1 or 2 less games and the price goes down. Now you also have less blackouts because with less home games at the Ralph, the other 7 home games will become a hotter commodity.

Comment

• Stewie
      Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
      • Aug 2002

Just move the team to LA.... It will be cheaper for season ticket holders in buffalo, and the games will never be blacked out!
      Originally posted by Topdog
      Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
      Originally posted by mercyrule
      I love Weiner.
      Originally posted by mercyrule
      also cheese

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by paulB
        Just move the team to LA.... It will be cheaper for season ticket holders in buffalo, and the games will never be blacked out!

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

It still remains to be seen how affordable the ticket is for the regular (non-corporate) fan down the road, regardless of what happens after Ralph dies.

We could celebrate a local sale and keeping the team here. Then once the financials are looked at closely, the new ownership would likely have to raise prices in order to compete. Cheap seats in the Rockpile section would be nothing but a distant memory.

It has nothing to do with the Bills fans but everything to do with a bad owners agreement and an attitude of unlimited greed.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
            It still remains to be seen how affordable the ticket is for the regular (non-corporate) fan down the road, regardless of what happens after Ralph dies.

We could celebrate a local sale and keeping the team here. Then once the financials are looked at closely, the new ownership would likely have to raise prices in order to compete. Cheap seats in the Rockpile section would be nothing but a distant memory.

It has nothing to do with the Bills fans but everything to do with a bad owners agreement and an attitude of unlimited greed.
            and that is why I continue to say that the NFL will ruin themselves in the next 10-20 years. They are going to price the regular, hard working, loyal fans out of the game. And they will also start eliminating teams. I see the AFL or a version of the AFL coming back, and I bet that Buffalo would get one of those teams.

Comment

• G. Host
              Banned
              • Jul 2002

Whether there will be less blackouts depends on what team is chosen to play against Buffalo in Toronto and when. Openers rarely blackout and generally it is the late season games which have trouble selling out especially if they raise ticket prices in the cheap seats.

I think having a game after the Gray Cup can be a plus plus for Bills - more interest in Toronto, does not interfere with CFL, less likely to have a blackout at end of year and more jerseys & gear sales. If the NFL cooperates and chooses a tough opponent to sell (i.e. Jacksonville or Arizona) then it helps even more but what will help the most is more wins.

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by G. Host
                Whether there will be less blackouts depends on what team is chosen to play against Buffalo in Toronto and when. Openers rarely blackout and generally it is the late season games which have trouble selling out especially if they raise ticket prices in the cheap seats.

I think having a game after the Gray Cup can be a plus plus for Bills - more interest in Toronto, does not interfere with CFL, less likely to have a blackout at end of year and more jerseys & gear sales. If the NFL cooperates and chooses a tough opponent to sell (i.e. Jacksonville or Arizona) then it helps even more but what will help the most is more wins.
                Exactly! That's just what I was thinking....

Comment

• G. Host
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                  We could celebrate a local sale and keeping the team here. Then once the financials are looked at closely, the new ownership would likely have to raise prices in order to compete. Cheap seats in the Rockpile section would be nothing but a distant memory. .
                  I think the cheap seats in Rockpile section are the first to go. Reportedly they are seats which have the most drunks in them.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                    short bus extraordinaire
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by paulB

i'd like to see them move to Vegas IF they move.
                    Originally posted by yordad
                    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Gunzlingr
                      • Jul 2002

This is the way I feel about the Toronto proposal at well. I see it as a win-win for Buffalo.
                      You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• plundar
                        • Mar 2006

It still makes me sick that Wilson will not take measures to make sure the team stays in Buffalo. He has relied on the people there to line his pockets for years and now he is going to turn his back on them.

Comment

• Tiburon1724
                          • Sep 2005

The whole thing is BS. I'm a season ticket holder and look forward to those 8 times a year I can go to the Ralph and cheer for the Bills. Now 1 of those is being stripped away from me? This is where it starts, all that can follow is more. At first I thought they said 1 pre and 1 reg season game - PERIOD. Then I found out they meant EVERY YEAR - that is completely unacceptable. Let them play the preseason games there but leave the regular season games alone - except for what is required by the league. I hope nobody goes to the games in Toronto and the whole thing blows up in their face. It will only help the prospect of the Buffalo Bills remaining the BUFFALO Bills. I will not cheer for the Toronto Skyfreaks or whatever they decide to name their eventual (Bills) NFL Team and I will not watch or cheer for the unknown team playing that one time per year up there in the meantime. I urge everyone to make their displeasure known as well.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                            Maybe?
                            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Tiburon1724
                            The whole thing is BS. I'm a season ticket holder and look forward to those 8 times a year I can go to the Ralph and cheer for the Bills. Now 1 of those is being stripped away from me? This is where it starts, all that can follow is more. At first I thought they said 1 pre and 1 reg season game - PERIOD. Then I found out they meant EVERY YEAR - that is completely unacceptable. Let them play the preseason games there but leave the regular season games alone - except for what is required by the league. I hope nobody goes to the games in Toronto and the whole thing blows up in their face. It will only help the prospect of the Buffalo Bills remaining the BUFFALO Bills. I will not cheer for the Toronto Skyfreaks or whatever they decide to name their eventual (Bills) NFL Team and I will not watch or cheer for the unknown team playing that one time per year up there in the meantime. I urge everyone to make their displeasure known as well.
                            Have to agree here. Playing home games in another country is BS.

I repeat - if there was a winning product on the field, more businesses would be inclined to buy seats, even business in Toronto. But as long as they continue to suck, it all comes down to relocating to an "easier" market.

Comment

• G. Host
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tiburon1724
                              The whole thing is BS. I'm a season ticket holder and look forward to those 8 times a year I can go to the Ralph and cheer for the Bills.
                              If you do not want the Bills to do this buy a box. Bills are just trying sell the booths. The choice appears to be regionalization or moving.

Comment

Working...
                              X