Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Chatting Up Howie Long

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    14,287
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 905 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    55

    Chatting Up Howie Long

    So I was doing a little work on my Bonanza at the airport on Saturday, and Howie Long shows up to jump in his Sabreliner for his weekly trip from Charlottesville to LA for his Fox gig.

    I took the time to chat with him and tell him how much we hate McGahee etc., and that he should pick the Bills as an upset fav over the Ravens.

    He does. We win.

    Today, I am finishing up a little cleanup on my airplane and his Sabreliner lands. As he is getting out I told him that he really should get American flags on the verticle stabilzer to dress the thing up and he whines about how he can't even get them to fix the door to the lav.

    Anyway, we start talking about the 51-3 game. He tells me how cold it was and I told him he was full of ****.
    It wasn't that cold.

    He also told me that the Bills used to screw a little stud in their spikes like a snow tire stud and it gave them a huge advantage.

    Anyway, he told me he did pick the Bills, per my suggestion, and believe it or not, really likes our DE's, and thinks the front office is doing a great job.

    I told him that the reason he likes them might be related to the fact that is son is of the same mold.

    Anyway, nice chat.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    433
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    15

    Re: Chatting Up Howie Long

    wasn't it Howie who sat in the locker room after the loss and cried and whined about Jim Kelly and how it was unfair because of the Bills fans? I also remember 3 or 4 false starts all in a row by Howie, I remember a chant by 80,000+ all in unison, "HOWIE"! What good memories!
    Go Bills!
    Go Sabres!

    JP Losman, your time is up!




    2007 Standings:
    Buffalo Bills 7-9
    New England Patriots 18-1*

  3. #3
    The Vanilla admin shelby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    48,489
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    203

    Re: Chatting Up Howie Long

    i love Howie.


  4. #4
    Registered User jamze132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,371
    Thanks
    6,037
    Thanked 4,490 Times in 2,621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    93

    Re: Chatting Up Howie Long

    Quote Originally Posted by gameboy
    So I was doing a little work on my Bonanza at the airport on Saturday, and Howie Long shows up to jump in his Sabreliner for his weekly trip from Charlottesville to LA for his Fox gig.

    I took the time to chat with him and tell him how much we hate McGahee etc., and that he should pick the Bills as an upset fav over the Ravens.

    He does. We win.

    Today, I am finishing up a little cleanup on my airplane and his Sabreliner lands. As he is getting out I told him that he really should get American flags on the verticle stabilzer to dress the thing up and he whines about how he can't even get them to fix the door to the lav.

    Anyway, we start talking about the 51-3 game. He tells me how cold it was and I told him he was full of ****.
    It wasn't that cold.

    He also told me that the Bills used to screw a little stud in their spikes like a snow tire stud and it gave them a huge advantage.

    Anyway, he told me he did pick the Bills, per my suggestion, and believe it or not, really likes our DE's, and thinks the front office is doing a great job.

    I told him that the reason he likes them might be related to the fact that is son is of the same mold.

    Anyway, nice chat.
    Great story, but I highlighted something of interest.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    14,287
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 905 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    55

    Re: Chatting Up Howie Long

    Quote Originally Posted by shelby
    i love Howie.
    Really?

    I have talked to him about 10 times, and five years ago promised him, jokingly, that no Long would ever get a hit off of a (my last name).

    My son pitched against both his kids, probably 20 at bats over the years, and it never happened.

    On the other hand, there is talk about Chris being a top ten draftee.

    We talked about that today, and he said he'd believe it when he sees the check.
    I said if I was Chris, I wouldn't show it to him.

    On a less personal, but more important note, he told me that he really likes what is going on with the Bills.

  6. #6
    Registered User MTBillsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    1,405
    Thanks
    464
    Thanked 76 Times in 52 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    23

    Re: Chatting Up Howie Long

    I saw Howie in Polson, Montana at Safeway Grocery store in line...he didn't look he was going to fit down the isle. I've also seen him on a 3 person wave runner in Flathead lake and he made the wave runner look small!

    He's one of the biggest people I've ever seen!
    Send me some wings!

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    14,287
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 905 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    55

    Re: Chatting Up Howie Long

    Quote Originally Posted by MTBillsFan
    I saw Howie in Polson, Montana at Safeway Grocery store in line...he didn't look he was going to fit down the isle. I've also seen him on a 3 person wave runner in Flathead lake and he made the wave runner look small!

    He's one of the biggest people I've ever seen!
    Really?

    I've heard other people say the same thing, but my experience is that he is not that big.

    I walked with him today for about 400 yds, talking about airplanes and his son.

    He is not all that big.
    I have chatted with his wife as well.

  8. #8
    Wys Guy
    Guest

    Re: Chatting Up Howie Long

    Quote Originally Posted by gameboy
    Really?

    I've heard other people say the same thing, but my experience is that he is not that big.

    I walked with him today for about 400 yds, talking about airplanes and his son.

    He is not all that big.
    I have chatted with his wife as well.
    He's a lot smaller than he used to be I'm sure. LOL

  9. #9
    Wys Guy
    Guest

    Re: Chatting Up Howie Long

    Quote Originally Posted by gameboy
    On a less personal, but more important note, he told me that he really likes what is going on with the Bills.
    You've said this a couple of times already. He's in the minority.

    Very few people around the league even think that Levy has a clue. If we're going to be honest all he is is a figurehead anyway.

    But allow me to ask, what's so positive about our "direction?" Feel free to skip the non-concrete stuff in your reply like who's going to be great in two years. Let's start with what's good and working right now.

    Besides "liking our DEs" did he give any specifics?

    As I see it this team is being held together by a punter and a couple of return men.

  10. #10
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    94,401
    Thanks
    12,663
    Thanked 23,252 Times in 11,757 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    265

    Re: Chatting Up Howie Long

    he really likes our DE's? Howie must have been watching a replay of the 51-3 game instead of the Baltimore game.

  11. #11
    Defies all logic PECKERWOOD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    AA class.
    Posts
    13,170
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    47

    Re: Chatting Up Howie Long

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    he really likes our DE's? Howie must have been watching a replay of the 51-3 game instead of the Baltimore game.

    I like our DE's as well.

  12. #12
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    94,401
    Thanks
    12,663
    Thanked 23,252 Times in 11,757 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    265

    Re: Chatting Up Howie Long

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloFever
    I like our DE's as well.
    Schobel has been great in the past but hasn't done anything this year. Kelsay overpursues and doesn't make plays. Neither have earned their paycheck. Denney is what he is- solid back-up/rotational guy. The only one who impresses me is Hargrove- he's not the best of the bunch but he's by far the best value. Few people making vet min bring as much ability and energy as he does.

  13. #13
    Wys Guy
    Guest

    Re: Chatting Up Howie Long

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    Schobel has been great in the past but hasn't done anything this year. Kelsay overpursues and doesn't make plays. Neither have earned their paycheck. Denney is what he is- solid back-up/rotational guy. The only one who impresses me is Hargrove- he's not the best of the bunch but he's by far the best value. Few people making vet min bring as much ability and energy as he does.
    Think about it. Based on your post, we have four guys playing two positions.

    Hargrove plays well b/c he is fresh. Most teams have two DEs, not five or six. The resources that we have tied up in five or six players to cover two depth chart spots is hurting us elsewhere.

    Our DEs do overpursue. But Schobel has only a couple good years left and if this season is the indication at his new and improved weight, he's trending downward. Kelsay's slightly above average, but not more. He is arguably our best player this year however on O/D.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    0

    Re: Chatting Up Howie Long

    gameboy, sleep with him and get your man-crush over already!

  15. #15
    Wys Guy
    Guest

    Re: Chatting Up Howie Long

    Quote Originally Posted by henrybacker
    gameboy, sleep with him and get your man-crush over already!
    LMAO

    Visions of the auto pilot in Airplane come to mind.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •