• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dolphan117
    • Dec 2005

Re: NE running up the score

Originally posted by NE39
    Again, I understand people are going to have some righteous indignation because the Pats beat someone by more than you think is the proper amount. I even understand you feel the need for some sort of payback, that somehow justice will be served by someone taking a cheap shot at Brady late in a blowout, and "they'll get theirs".

However, reality says otherwise. When was the last time you remember a team taking out the opposing team's QB late in a blowout? It never happens. Name one time.

In today's NFL, the players are professionals that make a lot of money. They are individual corporations that are maximizing their opportunities. That isn't to say they don't have passion for the game, or care. They do. However, they aren't as emotional about it as fans are, it is a job.

All this talk about "they better watch out or someone is going to take out Brady" is silly. It'll never happen.

Brady may get hurt, but it won't be because someone is paying him back for anything. It will be because NFL football is a voilent game and guys get hurt.
    Bill Cowher agrees with me
    Patriots fans undoubtedly are thinking it, and yesterday former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher said it: If the Patriots keep running up the score, will someone like Tom Brady pay the price?
    The subject of the Pats’ late-game tactics is causing a lot of buzz around the NFL, particularly after Sunday’s 52-7 victory over the Washington Redskins, when the Patriots converted a pair of fourth downs in the fourth quarter and threw for a touchdown on the goal line that made it 45-0.
    On a CBS conference call with reporters yesterday, Cowher noted the Patriots could be playing a dangerous game.

“It’s risk and reward,” he said. “How long do you want your starters to play? You want to be careful. At some point if this continues, someone’s going to take a cheap shot. Is that worth subjecting your players to if it comes to that?
    “You can say it’s playing football, but those are the decisions you have to make.”
    http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/f...icleid=1041584

Comment

• dolphan117
      • Dec 2005

If every player in the NFL was a class act then there is now way this would happen..... But if there is a big enough douche out there to stand over an unconscious Trent Green and gloat is it such a stretch to think there is someone out there who would lay a mean hit on Brady?

And it wouldn't even have to be Brady, it would be pretty easy for some D line guys to start taking cheap shots at offensive lineman. Or for a DB to go headhunting on Moss.

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
        I would think his team would get mad if Belichick said that to them.
        I don't mean that Belichick is dissing the existence of the league. He and the players know they derive great advantage from the existence of the league, but I can very easily envision him saying to the team that the league changed the rules simply because the Patriots had the ingenuity and ambition to take advantage of technology to help the team, ie. "they're picking on us," and instilling the attitude of "we'll show them."
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by TigerJ
          I don't mean that Belichick is dissing the existence of the league. He and the players know they derive great advantage from the existence of the league, but I can very easily envision him saying to the team that the league changed the rules simply because the Patriots had the ingenuity and ambition to take advantage of technology to help the team, ie. "they're picking on us," and instilling the attitude of "we'll show them."
          It sounded like you had Belichick telling his own players to screw themselves.

Comment

• Mike13
            • Aug 2005

“It’s risk and reward,” he said. “How long do you want your starters to play? You want to be careful. At some point if this continues, someone’s going to take a cheap shot. Is that worth subjecting your players to if it comes to that?
            “You can say it’s playing football, but those are the decisions you have to make.”
            Right Eventually someone is gonna get pissed, and they'll take a cheap shot.

Comment

• HotRod
              Addicted to squares...
              • Oct 2002

Has there been a public outcry about Detroit "running" up the score on the Bronco's yet?

Comment

Working...
              X