• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raphael120
    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
    • Oct 2005

How about our CBs/Safties!?!?

We made TO drop balls left and right, and now Chad Johnson!?

Damn, say what you want about the Bills, but our secondary is DAMN good! I can honestly say we should be afraid of NO ONE! (besides Brady/Moss) Haha.

Perry Fewell is doing damn good with this jalopy of a defense he's driving. Now as far as the offense goes, we still need to work on that red zone crap, the constant FG's is disgusting! We're going to need those TD's come tougher opponents.

GO BILLS! (BTW, I changed my negative sig, enjoy)
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Re: How about our CBs/Safties!?!?

They definilty need to be commended though there are 8 games left to be played this season. If the secondary can stifle Moss (push off king extrodinaire) then McGee and Buffalo will have more then enough respect.

Comment

• mybills
      81 st zoner
      • Jul 2002

I McGee! I think he played better than Greer this time.
      I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Whitner had a bad game. The first Cincy touchdown was right over him, and if Chad Johnson didn't drop that ball, it would have been a huge gain and most likely a TD cuz Whitner was out of position. Even the announcers said he took a bad angle.

The rest of them played well.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• bigbub2352
          • Feb 2005

I hate to say it but i am absolutley impressed with George Wilson, and Jabari Greer, Jabari could be a real find and Wilson i cant say enough about, he is not afraid to come up in run support, and he has been good in coverage as well for someone who hasnt played the postion, just think about the depth we will have next year with a healthy Youboty, and Thomas behind Greer and McGee, as well as Wilson and Wendling behind Simpson and Whitner, and all are signed for the next3-5yrs, we could have the makings of an excellent Secondary for years to come
          XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• RedEyE
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
            Whitner had a bad game. The first Cincy touchdown was right over him, and if Chad Johnson didn't drop that ball, it would have been a huge gain and most likely a TD cuz Whitner was out of position. Even the announcers said he took a bad angle.

The rest of them played well.
            Op, love ya man, but once again I think that you are being way overly critical on Whitner. This guy is the next coming of Ronnie Lott. Without him, there is more then 1 bad play on that field.

That's the dealings of playing in the secondary. One bad play and everyone negates all of the positives that he's produced throughout the game.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE
              Op, love ya man, but once again I think that you are being way overly critical on Whitner. This guy is the next coming of Ronnie Lott. Without him, there is more then 1 bad play on that field.

That's the dealings of playing in the secondary. One bad play and everyone negates all of the positives that he's produced throughout the game.
              one bad play? He had at least two or three in this game alone, and he has yet to make a play on the ball ALL YEAR, and you're calling him Ronnie Lott? I will say he's finally making some big hits over the last few games, but he's also making mistakes and is never anywhere near the ball.

I think it's the opposite- the guy clocks Chad Johnson late in the game and everyone forgets he did nothing and gave up a touchdown earlier in the game.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mybills
                81 st zoner
                • Jul 2002

TJ got past Greer for a TD, too.
                I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• RedEyE
                  • Jul 2002

one bad play? He had at least two or three in this game alone, and he has yet to make a play on the ball ALL YEAR, and you're calling him Ronnie Lott? I will say he's finally making some big hits over the last few games, but he's also making mistakes and is never anywhere near the ball.

I think it's the opposite- the guy clocks Chad Johnson late in the game and everyone forgets he did nothing and gave up a touchdown earlier in the game.
                  Defensive players can't be judged on one or two plays per game. A couple of things here, keep in mind that shut outs in this league are rare and offenses are going to move the ball down the field against the best defenses regardless of how good they are. The cover 2 is designed to keep the big play from occuring and the Bills are doing an excellent job of doing that. A large part of that is becuase of the masterful play of Whitner. His abilities at STRONG safety are a force to be reckoned with. He has quick catching speed for coverage and a mindblowing delivery on the running game. Did Whitner give up some yardage yesterday? Sure, but was it it game breaking? No. he's a perfect fit for this defense and a large part of their success.

Keep in mind the Bills were playing one of the best receiving tandems in the game. They held TJ and Chad to just 93 yards combined. The Cincy runing game was non-existent and if it wasn't for the quick dumps to RB Watson, the passing game would have been equally ineffective.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by mybills
                    TJ got past Greer for a TD, too.
                    actually that was on Whitner as much as Greer- Greer actually had pretty good coverage but TJ got body position on him. Whitner wasn't deep enough and the pass went right past him.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RedEyE
                      • Jul 2002

That's becasue TJ is a phenominal 2nd receiver and when you have another guy on the other side of the field by the name of Chad Johnson, you tend to suddenly get thin in the secondary. Say what you want about this secondary, but their inner game adjustment was stellar. I applaud their performance.

TJ has averaged 1005 yards over the last 3 season as a second receiver and he is on pace for 1200 yards this year. He mounted only 45 against Buffalo's D.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE
                        Defensive players can't be judged on one or two plays per game. A couple of things here, keep in mind that shut outs in this league are rare and offenses are going to move the ball down the field against the best defenses regardless of how good they are. The cover 2 is designed to keep the big play from occuring and the Bills are doing an excellent job of doing that. A large part of that is becuase of the masterful play of Whitner. His abilities at STRONG safety are a force to be reckoned with. He has quick catching speed for coverage and a mindblowing delivery on the running game. Did Whitner give up some yardage yesterday? Sure, but was it it game breaking? No. he's a perfect fit for this defense and a large part of their success.

Keep in mind the Bills were playing one of the best receiving tandems in the game. They held TJ and Chad to just 93 yards combined. The Cincy runing game was non-existent and if it wasn't for the quick dumps to RB Watson, the passing game would have been equally ineffective.
                        It's not one or two plays per game- it's many plays over several games. It's not getting anywhere near the ball over an 8 game stretch. You say Whitner helps prevent the big play, well Cincy's TD went right by him and he missed McGahee on the hole on his huge touchdown run- that's two big plays Whitner couldn't prevent.

The "bend but don't break" D also relies on the big play and Whitner has been non-existent in this regard.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RedEyE
                          • Jul 2002

It's not one or two plays per game- it's many plays over several games. It's not getting anywhere near the ball over an 8 game stretch. You say Whitner helps prevent the big play, well Cincy's TD went right by him and he missed McGahee on the hole on his huge touchdown run- that's two big plays Whitner couldn't prevent.

The "bend but don't break" D also relies on the big play and Whitner has been non-existent in this regard.
                          Op, you need to seriously lower your expectations. YOU CAN"T STOP EVERY PLAY. It's impossible. Is there room for improvement? Sure. But you can even argue that every best player in the league can improve oneself.

You're debate comes against a 2nd year guy that has simply helped stifle some of the best receivers in the game. I understand your point that there has been a play here or there per game, but those are going to happen disabling your point moot. There is no such thing as perfect defense week in and week out. You can only ask your defense to be the better team on the field at the end of the game. Whitner certifies that has happened the last 5 games.

Comment

• raphael120
                            Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                            • Oct 2005

I agree with Op.

For an 8th overall pick, Whitner is really not doing anything more than hitting people hard, after the fact.

We have a guy in Greer who was a what, 3rd round pick? Even later? And he's making more plays?

For the draft position he was picked, Whitner is not living up to that...yet.

Comment

• RedEyE
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by raphael120
                              I agree with Op.

For an 8th overall pick, Whitner is really not doing anything more than hitting people hard, after the fact.

We have a guy in Greer who was a what, 3rd round pick? Even later? And he's making more plays?

For the draft position he was picked, Whitner is not living up to that...yet.
                              Well that's very conflicting of you to first commend the secondary with a thread but then call out the starting SS in a follow up post. You can't have it both ways. These corners aren't getting it done by themselves as this is mostly a zone coverage D.

So, good luck with that confusion thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X