Thread: Hey NE39.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hey NE39.....

Can you enlighten us Bills fans on what type of QB Brady was in his first year.... I am one of those who is still a bit skeptical that Trent has an NFL arm but I was wondering if its accurate to say that Brady was considered a check down QB in his first year and was there concerns about his arm strength?

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Hey NE39.....

They dumbed down the offense for Brady for about 3 weeks. Antwoine Smith was carrying the bulk of the load. Brady looked good in most of those games accept one game against the Jets where they couldnt block for him at all. The ended up working him out of the shotgun the entire second half.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

what were the knocks on brady in his scouting report? Injury prone ever come up?

I'm a big supporter of edwards, but i am worried about durability. i have no fears about his arm strength. but i guess we'll find out this week in buffalo in December at the ralph. it can get nasty, but i expect him to pass with flying colors.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi
    Can you enlighten us Bills fans on what type of QB Brady was in his first year.... I am one of those who is still a bit skeptical that Trent has an NFL arm but I was wondering if its accurate to say that Brady was considered a check down QB in his first year and was there concerns about his arm strength?
    I didn't have any concerns about his arm strength, but I also am in the arm-strength is overrated crowd. Also, Brady didn't play as a rookie, so I assume you are talking about his 2nd year.

The thing that was apparent immediately about Brady was his poise, knowledge of the system and quick release. The Pats weren't exactly an offensive juggernaut, but Brady seems to just operate the system more efficiently, more often than not making the right play. It was an immediate change from Drew "let me stand here for 10 seconds before getting buried by the rush" Bledsoe. He was just in charge from the start.

His first couple games he was a game-manager. The pats mixed the run and pass and played sound defense (other than an early waxing against Miami). The time I became convinced was his 3rd- or 4th- start against San Diego. Brady led them back from a 10 point deficit in the 4th quarter to a victory in OT. He was amazing in that game because San Diego had a real good rush and the Pats had no running game. He ended up throwing for 380 yards or so, spreading the ball all over the place. There were times guys came in unblocked, but Brady was able to read the blitz and get the ball out. He willed them to win.

Brady had his ups and downs that year, but he was consistent in that he was accurate, efficient and didn't make a lot of mistakes. He knew the offense great and was able to read blitzes and set protections. Teams would get him sometimes, but he learned quickly and played better as the year progressed. He did what was necessary to get the victory.

As for throwing the deep ball, I think guys get better at it with practice. I think it is a function of:

1) Having deep ball threats
    2) An OL that can protect long enough to get the ball downfield
    3) Establishing timing with practice (the longer the pass, the harder it is)

If a guy has good mechanics and an NFL-average arm, then it only takes those three to throw the deep ball. Brady did hear the "can't throw the deep ball" argument early in his career, but that was because the Pats didn't have those kinds of weapons. This year he has those and he is completing 60% of his passes over 30 yards (best in the NFL). It isn't just the QB.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,128 Times in 4,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by NE39
    I didn't have any concerns about his arm strength, but I also am in the arm-strength is overrated crowd. Also, Brady didn't play as a rookie, so I assume you are talking about his 2nd year.

The thing that was apparent immediately about Brady was his poise, knowledge of the system and quick release. The Pats weren't exactly an offensive juggernaut, but Brady seems to just operate the system more efficiently, more often than not making the right play. It was an immediate change from Drew "let me stand here for 10 seconds before getting buried by the rush" Bledsoe. He was just in charge from the start.

His first couple games he was a game-manager. The pats mixed the run and pass and played sound defense (other than an early waxing against Miami). The time I became convinced was his 3rd- or 4th- start against San Diego. Brady led them back from a 10 point deficit in the 4th quarter to a victory in OT. He was amazing in that game because San Diego had a real good rush and the Pats had no running game. He ended up throwing for 380 yards or so, spreading the ball all over the place. There were times guys came in unblocked, but Brady was able to read the blitz and get the ball out. He willed them to win.

Brady had his ups and downs that year, but he was consistent in that he was accurate, efficient and didn't make a lot of mistakes. He knew the offense great and was able to read blitzes and set protections. Teams would get him sometimes, but he learned quickly and played better as the year progressed. He did what was necessary to get the victory.

As for throwing the deep ball, I think guys get better at it with practice. I think it is a function of:

1) Having deep ball threats
    2) An OL that can protect long enough to get the ball downfield
    3) Establishing timing with practice (the longer the pass, the harder it is)

If a guy has good mechanics and an NFL-average arm, then it only takes those three to throw the deep ball. Brady did hear the "can't throw the deep ball" argument early in his career, but that was because the Pats didn't have those kinds of weapons. This year he has those and he is completing 60% of his passes over 30 yards (best in the NFL). It isn't just the QB.
    I agree that you have to have the weapons so I really dont blame any Buffalo QB for the lack of production. Trent might make the throws if the throws were there to be made.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,938 Times in 3,559 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think what Mahdi wants to know is Trent Edwards going to be as good as Tom Brady...

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

BB can make TE a probowler.

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think Edwards has all the ingrediants that NE described of Brady.

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi
    I think Edwards has all the ingrediants that NE described of Brady.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132
    I think what Mahdi wants to know is Trent Edwards going to be as good as Tom Brady...
    Ha.... maybe if we all pray collectively....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

well if thats what it takes

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi
    Ha.... maybe if we all pray collectively....
    I'll celebrate quanza if TE becomes as good as brady

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BSU Drew
    well if thats what it takes
    Maybe Schouman will become Kellen Winslow at the same time!

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I hope TE is on his way to being even 80% of Brady