Thread: The play that really bugged me last night...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The play that really bugged me last night...

The play that bugged me last night was not when Rex Ryan called timeout on the 4th and 1, that happens. It also was not the defensive holding penalty on 4th down, unfortunately, that was the right call. The play that bugged me was on the 4th and 1 right after the Ravens timeout, the Patriots jumped (false start) and the Ravens still stuffed the Patriots. Yet, because it was a false start, the Patriots got moved back 5 yards, and converted on the next play.

I think the rule should be changed where the 5 yard penalty isn't whistled dead (or attempted to be whistled dead) immediately, and the 5 yards is optional, like illegal procedure, illegal formation, or illegal motion. That way the defensive team isn't penalized for stopping somebody, but having to replay the down and give the offense another chance to convert.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,989 Times in 3,525 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The play that really bugged me last night...

But they blew the whistle before the snap. Not sure how they can count a play where some guys stop because they heard a whistle.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What I'm saying is don't blow the whistle. Let the play go and throw the flag, then give the opposing team the option of accepting or declining. Last night, the whistle blew but the crowd was so loud you couldn't hear it, and the play was so quick (one yard FB handoff) both teams played it out and didn't adhere to the whistle. That play decided the game, because the RG jumped offsides and the Pats got another shot at it.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,393 Times in 13,783 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mudflap1
    What I'm saying is don't blow the whistle. Let the play go and throw the flag, then give the opposing team the option of accepting or declining. Last night, the whistle blew but the crowd was so loud you couldn't hear it, and the play was so quick (one yard FB handoff) both teams played it out and didn't adhere to the whistle. That play decided the game, because the RG jumped offsides and the Pats got another shot at it.
    exactly- treat the false start like they treat offsides on the D.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They blew the whistle because the lineman hit another player just as when a defensive player hits an offensive player before teh snap they blow the whistle

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

hmmm, i don't know. i hate the pats and all. but false start on the offense is a dead ball foul. it always has been in every level of football. That's a hard one to change. Plus its a false start. Starting before the play. Therefore, it would give the offense an advantage most of the time. The play would yield positive results, possible injuries, only to have the play declined and moved back 5 yards.

it stinks that 1 out of 100 times that it benefits the offense, but you get the 5 yards as the defensive team. And it especially sucks that the pats got the benefit. but that's just how 2007 is going these days.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He hadn't hit the player by the time the ball was snapped, he just had moved a little bit into the neutral zone. He wasn't even that far offsides, just moved a hair early. Pissed me off.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Playa
    They blew the whistle because the lineman hit another player just as when a defensive player hits an offensive player before teh snap they blow the whistle
    they always blow the whistle on false starts, regardless of whether there is contact. Once there is a false start, the play never actually happens.

On offsides by the D, they only blow the whistle if there is contact or if the offending player is "unabated to the quarterback". Most of the time, that doesn't happen and it becomes a free play for the offense. There's no such thing for the D on a false start, and that's why the rule sucks.

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    exactly- treat the false start like they treat offsides on the D.
    Sounds good but the league wants to protect the offense. Can't just give the defense a free play to kill the quarterback.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi
    Sounds good but the league wants to protect the offense. Can't just give the defense a free play to kill the quarterback.
    but how would the OFFENSE starting early give the D a free play? If anything it should make it easier for the O to protect the QB.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You see a guy jump you could immediately bring the house bc the result wont matter, kind of how if the QB sees a flag go up for offsides he automatically throws it deep.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

the tuck rule saved the Pats and last night the offsides rule saved them again.