Could (Rochester Native) Glazer steal the Bills from Buffalo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stewie
    Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
    • Aug 2002

Could (Rochester Native) Glazer steal the Bills from Buffalo?

According to some various reports, Malcolm Glazer wants to buy the Dodgers and eventually have an NFL team in LA. Now, he's from Rochester, but has shown no interest in funneling his money into the area (all his major ventures have been elsewhere). This is why I think he may do something like move the beloved Bills out of WNY.

In order to own both an MLB and an NFL team, he would have to sell the Bucs first (because the teams he owned would have to play in the same market).

I think its entirely possible that he could sell his Bucs while they're valued high, and buy the Dodgers. He could then put a stadium package together (over the next couple years) and then make a bid on a team like Buffalo, a team will probably have a lot of star power and can be removed from its location quite easily.

Does anyone else see this as a possibility? Ralphie's family has no interest in keeping the team after he passes away. That lease extension doesn't last forever, and from what I remember it wouldn't take much (in the grand scheme of moving a team) to buy it out.

I hope I'm wrong
    Originally posted by Topdog
    Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    I love Weiner.
    also cheese
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

" and then make a bid on a team like Buffalo, a team will probably have a lot of star power and can be removed from its location quite easily."

For one Wilson will have to be dead. Secondly I doubt it would be easy to move the Bills. This is all heresay. Where have you heard that he is interested in doing anything like this.

Comment

• Schobel94
      The Sack Master
      • Jan 2003

NEVER!!! There would be hell to pay if this happened, I would personally assasinate him before he could move my Bills.
      Beware the sack master!

Comment

• Stewie
        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
        " and then make a bid on a team like Buffalo, a team will probably have a lot of star power and can be removed from its location quite easily."

For one Wilson will have to be dead. Secondly I doubt it would be easy to move the Bills. This is all heresay. Where have you heard that he is interested in doing anything like this.
        Of course its heresey, thats why I said "I think" and "could" for everything :)

I read about his interest in purchasing the dodgers from pretty much every sports website, and he'd have to sell the bucs to do it.

BTW, you think Wilson is going to live much longer? I mean, I hope he lives another 85 years, but its not going to happen.. I think its reasonable to think he might be gone by the time they get an approved stadium deal in LA.

If memory serves, the Bills lease is due up in 2011, and can be bought out for a sum that goes down every year it gets closer to that point. Put it this way, if it comes down to having to pay say $30 million to knock Buffalo (or any other team) out of their lease to complete a move, you think that will stop anybody from putting a billion dollar franchise in LA??
        I love Weiner.
        also cheese

Comment

• Dicknoze69
          Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Schobel94
          NEVER!!! There would be hell to pay if this happened, I would personally assasinate him before he could move my Bills.

Took the words right out of my mouth. We'd have a whole army of people after him.

God give me style and give me grace
          God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Some billionaire from Rochester will buy the Bills and keep them there. What's his name who bought the Sabres?

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
              Legendary Zoner
              • Jul 2002

First, Fox spent a fortune a couple of years ago to buy the Dodgers, so they will not come cheap.

Somehow, I think the Colts are the team that will end up in LA.

I wish someone would get a team there before Ralph passes away because when he does kick the bucket, all bets are off.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Maybe when ol' Ralphie passes, they should turn the team public and have everyone in the area buy stocks of the team, much like the Green Bay Packers. That way, we can be sure to make the team stay in the area.

Heck, I'd buy some stocks too.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

The Bills are not going to move. This is a good market for the NFL and the franchise has proven a good business proposition. LA has tried franchises several times and it has failed. If a team is going to move there it's going to be a team that is having trouble in their market like New Orleans or Arizona. Indy could be a target but I think the people there really love the Colts they just aren't happy about the team being located in the dome and want a new stadium built.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                    • Jul 2002

I didn't realize that Glazer owned the Bills...

Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Jul 2002

The NFL never wanted to be in that cow town, Indianapolis in the first place....

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

It is kind of a screwed up place...

Comment

• Stewie
                          • Aug 2002

The current value placed on the dodgers (by forbes) is very close to the current value placed on the bucs..

I agree that teams like AZ, SD, and Indy might be more likely to move than Buffalo, but anyone who thinks that Buffalo isn't in the top 5 or top 7 relocation candidates has their head in the sand.

Teams failed in LA because of the city's refusal to guarantee them a new stadium in the past.
                          I love Weiner.
                          also cheese

Comment

• Dozerdog
                            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

Teams on the "Block" to move to LA In order of probability

1) Indianapolis- Stadium issues

1-A) Minnesota- see above

2) San Diego- Working on a new Stadium, the Padres have a new baseball only stadium done. Chargers already signed a deal to hold Training Camp in the LA Area

3) Arizona- Have a new Stadium deal, but it could fall through- wait until they actually start shovelling dirt before taking them off the list.

4) Buffalo- Lease is up soon (well, not "completely up", but a cheap buy out)- Depends on Ralph's health.

Other rumored cities in the past few years- New Orleans (stadium issues) Carolina (attendance)

Comment

• BillsNYC
                              Man of the People
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                              Some billionaire from Rochester will buy the Bills and keep them there. What's his name who bought the Sabres?

did somebody finnally buy the sabres?
                              Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X