BREAKING NEWS!!! Former Bills GM John Butler has passed away!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

BREAKING NEWS!!! Former Bills GM John Butler has passed away!!!

Chargers General Manager John Butler, who was diagnosed with cancer last July, died of complications from the disease on Friday morning. He was 56. "All of our thoughts and prayers right now are with his wife, Alice, and daughter, Andrea," said team President Dean Spanos. “He meant so much to everyone here. It’s hard to put into words this feeling of loss. We’ll miss him.” Butler was one of the NFL’s most respected talent evaluators.

He returned to the Chargers as general manager on Jan. 5, 2001 after beginning his NFL career as a scout with the team from 1985-86.

Since re-joining the Chargers, Butler was instrumental in restoring the Chargers’ roster to playoff caliber. He helped bring in a host of bright, young players through the draft, including Pro Bowl running back LaDainian Tomlinson, quarterback Drew Brees, cornerback Quentin Jammer, linebacker Ben Leber, guard Toniu Fonoti and wide receiver Reche Caldwell.

Butler was equally adept at finding quality players through free agency. Over the past three offseasons, Butler has signed six Pro Bowl players through free agency, including wide receiver David Boston and fullback Lorenzo Neal this year; linebacker Donnie Edwards and tight end Stephen Alexander in 2002, and defensive end Marcellus Wiley and defensive back Ryan McNeil in 2001.

The official source for Los Angeles Chargers news, schedules, stats, scores, tickets and more.

• Michael82
    • Jul 2002

My thoughts are prayers are with his family and all my jokes have been removed from me. We have made a lot of jokes about him, but he is a great guy and was a good GM for the team.

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

ouch....

My condolences to his family and friends.

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

The big guy above had a better purpose for you!

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Give me a minute...
          • Jul 2002

Same here...the bottom line was that he was trying to build a winner...if not for one play he may have done it.

for his family.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

not the kind of breaking news you hope to see.. prayers for his family and friends.
            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Jaded 7
              Saving the World One Signature at a Time!
              • Jul 2002

That's awful! God bless his family. I'm sure he's in a better place now.

There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
              Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
              The only answer I found for all this hurt
              Is there ain't not answer here on earth

Comment

• TypicalBill
                • Sep 2002

My deepest condolences to his family, friends and loved ones.
                For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com

Comment

• lordofgun
                  in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

A sad day for Bills fans. Sympathies and prayers to his family.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Billz_fan
                    • Jan 2003

I will say a prayer for John and his family tonight. Very sad indeed.

The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• don137
                      • Jul 2002

My prayers are with him and his family. While many may not agree with the contracts he shelled out most everyone agrees that he was a great individual and one heck of a talent evaluator. The world will miss him.

Comment

• shelby
                        The Vanilla *****
                        • Jul 2002

Though expected, that is very sad.
                        Prayers for his family.

Comment

• The Spaz
                          • Mar 2003

That's what happens when you don't take care of your body. When you get sick and have to rely on it it will only give back what you put into it. I am sorry he died too. That's why I always take care of myself and watch what I eat. I know that you never can tell that you could get a terrible disease like this but it helps if you take of yourself. My condolenses to his family. Go Bills!

Comment

• Billsouth
                            • Jul 2002

just another example of how destructive cancer is and whe.
                            "once a raider always a raider"

Comment

• Billsouth
                              • Jul 2002

i am sorry i was not able to finish. unfortunately, it is times like this when we realize how lucky we are to be alive. i pray that the good lord help his family in their time of need
                              "once a raider always a raider"

Comment

Working...
                              X