Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bryant Johnson signs.. With SF

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bryant Johnson signs.. With SF

I lost count how many people here thought he deserved a 4 year 16 Million + contract.

Good grief.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

oh god this confirms it

ralph

is

cheap
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead
    oh god this confirms it

ralph

is

cheap
    Hell yes, no one can be cheaper than offering a several year contract with a higher signing bonus than a one year vet minimum contract...

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

well the bills obviously have a plan cuz it looks like they dont see enough value in any of the fa wrs that are out there. im surprised they couldnt work out a one year deal with one of these guys to come here but again they musta felt it wasnt advantageous for them

im disappointed because without a viable number two the passing game is likely to continue to struggle. no rookie is going to solve that problem this season either

lets hope they have some trick up their sleeve

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gr8slayer
    I'll take Hackett for league minimum.
    You're not going to get him for league minimum, and probably not for anything close to it. Some team is going to offer more.

I'm not devastated by having to draft a receiver in the first round, but you do give up something by not signing a free agent. With a free agent, you know the level of production the player has had in the pros. It's true that Johnson has the label of "underachiever" but he has at least produced in the pros and we would have had a reasonable expectation that he was going to produce at least at that level until he left the prime of his career. Likewise, we can expect Hackett will produce at a certain level. We also know he may be at higher risk for injury than some players.

If we draft someone (take your pick of Kelly, Sweed, Thomas, or Hardy - any others are probably not day one picks) we only know what they did in college. Sometimes a receiver who had a good enough measurables and college career to be drafted in round one will bust as a pro. More often they will be OK, or even become a start, but not in their rookie year. The bottom line is that if Buffalo drafts a WR in the first or second round, they will be luck to actually get first or second round production out of him in 2008. Add to that the fact that we're not going to get more than a journeyman TE in the offseason, and it means that we have to pin most of our hope in an imporved offense on better coordinating from Schonert than we got from Fairchild, and the maturing of Lynch and Edwards. We might get all of those things, but that's far from a sure thing.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Roways rooking ahread! Mitchy moo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I really think we dinked him around and had second thoughts about signing him in the first place. They obviously separated on decent terms. I wish BJ luck until the Bills play his new team and roll them.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I can't figure out what Johnson is thinking. He signs a one year contract with SF, so he can hopefully put of good numbers and cash in next year? Makes no sense to me considering SF offense was/is worse than ours. Alex Smith is quickly becoming a bust, and he always seems to be injured. Gore had an okay year, but everyone focuses on him so no wonder his production slipped, plus he has an injury history. Issac Bruce is like 86 years old, and more of a #3. Davis has dissapointed at TE.

I don't see why Johnson would choose SF. I think his agent really screwed him. At least now we can sit back and take Kelly or Sweed with the 11th pick and hopefully get a playmaker to line up next to Lee. We better sign Lee to that extension soon or we're going to lose him next year and we'll be in the same situation, looking to get another WR. I think Kelly and Lee would be a helluva WR tandem.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

SF gets a BJ could have many different meaning

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bils might not have offerred or been intersted in a one year deal
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,477 Times in 7,094 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Now that he's signed somewhere else ..... He sucked anyways.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

For what its worth Chris Brown is supposed to give the poop on the whole deal with BJ some time "after he confirms the signing."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardsEra
    Hell yes, no one can be cheaper than offering a several year contract with a higher signing bonus than a one year vet minimum contract...
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo! Nighthawk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    The Bils might not have offerred or been intersted in a one year deal
    I heard somewhere that the Bills are against giving out 1 year contracts to players that are as young as Johnson. I think Chris Brown might have said it.

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Good. Now let's go WR, TE, WR with our first three picks.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

According to BJ himself on sirius the Bills wanted a long term deal and BJ and his agent wanted a short deal. Buffalo wouldnt shorten thier deal. So SEE YA BJ!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Here's what happened with Johnson
    Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 2:26 PM ET | Link

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED WITH JOHNSON: Since there's been a wide range of opinions on what Johnson would have brought to the Bills had he signed here, and whether the team really wanted him or whether he really wanted to play for Buffalo, I'll outline how things went down between him and the team. The Bills made him a multi-year offer which was very competitive and would have rewarded him further had he produced like a number two receiver.

The Johnson camp was looking for a contract similar to what Donte Stallworth (7-$35M-$10M guaranteed) or Jerry Porter (6-$30M-$10M guaranteed) received in terms of pay per season ($5M per year). The problem is Johnson has never had a 50-catch season, never had a 5 TD reception season and only once has had a season of over 600 receiving yards.

Stallworth has had two seasons of better than 50 catches, 2 seasons of more than 5 TD receptions and 4 seasons of better than 600 yards receiving.

Porter has had three seasons of better than 50 catches, 4 seasons of more than 5 TD receptions and 4 seasons of better than 600 yards receiving.

Sure Johnson can say he had less opportunity as a #3 WR, but you have to do it before teams will pay you like the guys that have. No other team was offering him a multi-year deal in the Stallworth, Porter territory.

At that point the Johnson camp decided they wanted a one-year deal. Buffalo does not give one-year deals to 26-year old players. They are trying to build something over the long haul. A one-year deal doesn't help the team. If they signed Johnson to a one-year deal and he has a big year, then re-signing the player becomes difficult, he signs elsewhere for crazy money and the Bills would be in the same boat they're in now in terms of filling the #2 receiver role.

So by late Thursday the chances of Johnson signing in Buffalo were slim to none. The Johnson camp found a team willing to offer a one-year deal in San Francisco and that's how it ended.

Tampa was never in the mix.

I also don't get the sense at all that the Bills feel not signing Johnson is in any way a setback for the club. He was a viable option they considered to fill a need and they now explore other options, which in my opinion is primarily the draft. There's nothing of any great interest on the free agent market.

---

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If they had given him 5M per year I would have been upset....

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If he refused a long term deal, good riddance, imo.

Signing 26 year old players to 1 year deals is stupid, imo and not good for the long term benefit of the team.

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sounded like he wanted to be here during his interview on sirius just Buffalo didnt want to pay that much and then werent willing to do a 1 year deal

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

For that kind of money him and his agent are ****ing nuts.