• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Bryant Johnson signs.. With SF

I lost count how many people here thought he deserved a 4 year 16 Million + contract.

Good grief.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

oh god this confirms it

ralph

is

cheap
      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Meathead
        oh god this confirms it

ralph

is

cheap
        Hell yes, no one can be cheaper than offering a several year contract with a higher signing bonus than a one year vet minimum contract...

Comment

• Meathead
          Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
          • Jul 2002

well the bills obviously have a plan cuz it looks like they dont see enough value in any of the fa wrs that are out there. im surprised they couldnt work out a one year deal with one of these guys to come here but again they musta felt it wasnt advantageous for them

im disappointed because without a viable number two the passing game is likely to continue to struggle. no rookie is going to solve that problem this season either

lets hope they have some trick up their sleeve
          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gr8slayer
            I'll take Hackett for league minimum.
            You're not going to get him for league minimum, and probably not for anything close to it. Some team is going to offer more.

I'm not devastated by having to draft a receiver in the first round, but you do give up something by not signing a free agent. With a free agent, you know the level of production the player has had in the pros. It's true that Johnson has the label of "underachiever" but he has at least produced in the pros and we would have had a reasonable expectation that he was going to produce at least at that level until he left the prime of his career. Likewise, we can expect Hackett will produce at a certain level. We also know he may be at higher risk for injury than some players.

If we draft someone (take your pick of Kelly, Sweed, Thomas, or Hardy - any others are probably not day one picks) we only know what they did in college. Sometimes a receiver who had a good enough measurables and college career to be drafted in round one will bust as a pro. More often they will be OK, or even become a start, but not in their rookie year. The bottom line is that if Buffalo drafts a WR in the first or second round, they will be luck to actually get first or second round production out of him in 2008. Add to that the fact that we're not going to get more than a journeyman TE in the offseason, and it means that we have to pin most of our hope in an imporved offense on better coordinating from Schonert than we got from Fairchild, and the maturing of Lynch and Edwards. We might get all of those things, but that's far from a sure thing.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

I really think we dinked him around and had second thoughts about signing him in the first place. They obviously separated on decent terms. I wish BJ luck until the Bills play his new team and roll them.

Comment

• historypete
                • Feb 2005

I can't figure out what Johnson is thinking. He signs a one year contract with SF, so he can hopefully put of good numbers and cash in next year? Makes no sense to me considering SF offense was/is worse than ours. Alex Smith is quickly becoming a bust, and he always seems to be injured. Gore had an okay year, but everyone focuses on him so no wonder his production slipped, plus he has an injury history. Issac Bruce is like 86 years old, and more of a #3. Davis has dissapointed at TE.

I don't see why Johnson would choose SF. I think his agent really screwed him. At least now we can sit back and take Kelly or Sweed with the 11th pick and hopefully get a playmaker to line up next to Lee. We better sign Lee to that extension soon or we're going to lose him next year and we'll be in the same situation, looking to get another WR. I think Kelly and Lee would be a helluva WR tandem.

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                  • Aug 2003

SF gets a BJ could have many different meaning

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

The Bils might not have offerred or been intersted in a one year deal
                    Originally posted by mysticsoto
                    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Now that he's signed somewhere else ..... He sucked anyways.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• xovan
                        • Mar 2008

For what its worth Chris Brown is supposed to give the poop on the whole deal with BJ some time "after he confirms the signing."

Comment

• yordad
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
                          Hell yes, no one can be cheaper than offering a several year contract with a higher signing bonus than a one year vet minimum contract...
                          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Nighthawk
                            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            The Bils might not have offerred or been intersted in a one year deal
                            I heard somewhere that the Bills are against giving out 1 year contracts to players that are as young as Johnson. I think Chris Brown might have said it.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                              • May 2003

Good. Now let's go WR, TE, WR with our first three picks.
                              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                                Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                                • Jun 2005

According to BJ himself on sirius the Bills wanted a long term deal and BJ and his agent wanted a short deal. Buffalo wouldnt shorten thier deal. So SEE YA BJ!!

Comment

Working...
                                X