Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Bryant Johnson signs.. With SF

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bryant Johnson signs.. With SF

I'd still rather just take my chance in the draft.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gr8slayer
    Trent Edwards......

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey82
    Good post, Miyagi! Seeing how they didn't spend the money on a FA receiver, now there is no excuse for a Lee Evans deal. He better get a new extension before the draft or I will be pissed!
    Why does it have to be before the draft as long as it gets done??

Patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    Why does it have to be before the draft as long as it gets done??

Patience.
    patience my ass. The longer you wait on Lee Evans, the faster he decides to bolt. Look at the Sabres for the biggest example!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey82
    patience my ass. The longer you wait on Lee Evans, the faster he decides to bolt. Look at the Sabres for the biggest example!
    And it can be advantageous to sign him up after the start of the season.

See Clumps post.

Hockey and football are different, especially with the franchise tag.

The off season is two weeks old and people are freaking out all over the place.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I agree we can discuss how good the moves are and there are questions there.

The cheapness thing is stupid beyond beleif.
    I can't wait until I get home later so I can respond to these posts! I don't have time now. Check in later if you dare!
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: RUMOR - Bryant Johnson signs.. With SF

Like Stroud and Mitchell?

who even knows if Stroud will return to form from his ankle injury, and as for Mitchell watching the Giants games he doesn't impress me at all there is a reason the Giants have wanted to upgrade at that position all year cause he is average at best, the Giants are my 2nd favorite team I have watched the guy play, not that impressive.
    lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: RUMOR - Bryant Johnson signs.. With SF

Quote Originally Posted by Bert102176
    who even knows if Stroud will return to form from his ankle injury, and as for Mitchell watching the Giants games he doesn't impress me at all there is a reason the Giants have wanted to upgrade at that position all year cause he is average at best, the Giants are my 2nd favorite team I have watched the guy play, not that impressive.
    Not all that impressive based on what? I went back and watched every Giants game from this past year and he'll be a HUGE upgrade for us.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

well if they are smart they will draft Sweed at !! and Davis the TE in the 2nd I have a feeling he's gonna be there

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bert102176
    well if they are smart they will draft Sweed at !! and Davis the TE in the 2nd I have a feeling he's gonna be there
    I'll take Keller over Davis.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jpdex12
    I can't wait until I get home later so I can respond to these posts! I don't have time now. Check in later if you dare!
    Good.

Before you do:

Takeo Spikes
    Lawyer Milloy
    Sam Adams
    London Fletcher
    Derrick Dockery
    Langston Walker
    Drew Bledsoe
    Eric Moulds

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So Johnson is better than Price? So what?

You do not sign players just because they are better. You do not over spend on a player out of desperation. If Johnson wanted over 4 million per in a long term deal, the Bills made the right move.
    He accepted $2,000,000 for one year. Does this answer anyone's thoughts that we didn't offer him much of a contract if he took this? Obviously he thinks that he can prove himself if he is put into a position to succeed. Yea he was third WR on a Cardinals team that hasn't seen the best of talent but how many attempts do you get with two WRs like Boldin and Fitz to compete against? It's not like they were injured a lot. Johnson would have made a good #2 WR for us and now we are left with a rookie to save our offense this year at the WR and TE spot. Can't wait!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i just dunno how much i think of any of seattle's wr core really. they've always seemed like a large stack of suckitude, much like ours, and without really anyone other than branch making a name for himself (tho obviously he has from being a Patsy). Any of the Stl wr's scare me for not doing much, even with Hasselbeck as the qb. and in my opinion he isn't a bad qb either. i just think if we pick say jackson or hackett up, they pretty much will be mediocre here as well, no matter who we have at qb. they just dont have the size we need to produce as wanted methinks.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gr8slayer
    I'll take Keller over Davis.
    Have you seen Keller block?

F.Davis isn't the greatest blocker, but at least he will try to get his body in front of the guy he's supposed to be blocking. I've seen Keller actually step out of the way of two guys--the first guy was the guy he was supposed to block, the second was a guy he could have easily knocked on his butt--on the same play.

There's a big difference between not being a good blocker, not knowing how to block, and not being willing to block. F.Davis is in the first category, M.Rucker is in the second category, and Keller is in the third category.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jpdex12
    He accepted $2,000,000 for one year. Does this answer anyone's thoughts that we didn't offer him much of a contract if he took this? Obviously he thinks that he can prove himself if he is put into a position to succeed. Yea he was third WR on a Cardinals team that hasn't seen the best of talent but how many attempts do you get with two WRs like Boldin and Fitz to compete against? It's not like they were injured a lot. Johnson would have made a good #2 WR for us and now we are left with a rookie to save our offense this year at the WR and TE spot. Can't wait!
    He took $ 2 million for a year with a team where he has a shot at being the # 1 WR, if he does well, so that, if he puts up big numbers with them, he can get a big dollar, long-term deal after that.

The Bills weren't going to give him a 1 year deal and then stand to have to either pay him big money or lose him after a year. If they gave him that kind of deal, then they would have guys in their own lockerroom who would want them to do the same thing for them as well: "Oh, gee, I had an off year going into free agency--give me a one year deal cheap and, then, if I produce, you can re-sign me to a long-term deal at big bucks". The Bills don't want to be doing that--and, in the long term, if you are a fan you don't want to see them doing that either.

Johnson had three chances to show what he could do as the # 2 guy with Arizona: when Boldin missed 6 games a couple of years ago, then when Boldin and Fitzgerald each missed 3 games apiece in each of the last two seasons. Johnson's numbers during those three stints as the # 2 Wr in Arizona's offense--where they throw the ball more than the Bills do--were hardly better than Josh Reed's average numbers last season.

Everyone wants to excuse B.Johnson's numbers with the Cards because he was the # 3 WR behind two Pro Bowlers, but they don't want to look at what his numbers were when he was given a chance to start. He was the # 3 guy with Arizona for a reason. Do you really think that the Cards wanted a former 1st round draft pick to be their # 3 WR?

Johnson will probably put up good numbers this season in M.Martz's pass-happy offense, but he would not put those kinds of numbers up as the # 2 WR for the Bills--even if Trent Edwards blossoms as a QB this season. And, that's why, even if the Bills did offer him a 1 year deal worth $ 3 million, his agent would be a fool not to tell him to sign with SF instead.

The Bills have said that they want to sign Lee Evans to a contract extension and have kept enough money available to sign him at what it will probably cost to get a deal done with him, but whether a deal gets done is going to be up to Evans. And, as the article in the Buffalo News that appears on the BZ FP and my earlier article that was on the BZ FP both point out, Evans may have some reasons of his own not to be willing or in that much of a hurry to sign a contract extension with the Bills at this point. No matter how much the Bills and their fans want him to sign an extension, if Evans isn't ready or willing to sign one at this point, there is nothing that the Bills are going to be able to do about that. The decision is going to be Evans' entirely.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by LifetimeBillsFan
    Have you seen Keller block?

F.Davis isn't the greatest blocker, but at least he will try to get his body in front of the guy he's supposed to be blocking. I've seen Keller actually step out of the way of two guys--the first guy was the guy he was supposed to block, the second was a guy he could have easily knocked on his butt--on the same play.

There's a big difference between not being a good blocker, not knowing how to block, and not being willing to block. F.Davis is in the first category, M.Rucker is in the second category, and Keller is in the third category.
    Yes, there are many TE's in the NFL today that fall into all three categories as well. Have you ever seen Antonio Gates block? There's a reason they extended Manumaleuna.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by LifetimeBillsFan
    He took $ 2 million for a year with a team where he has a shot at being the # 1 WR, if he does well, so that, if he puts up big numbers with them, he can get a big dollar, long-term deal after that.

The Bills weren't going to give him a 1 year deal and then stand to have to either pay him big money or lose him after a year. If they gave him that kind of deal, then they would have guys in their own lockerroom who would want them to do the same thing for them as well: "Oh, gee, I had an off year going into free agency--give me a one year deal cheap and, then, if I produce, you can re-sign me to a long-term deal at big bucks". The Bills don't want to be doing that--and, in the long term, if you are a fan you don't want to see them doing that either.

Johnson had three chances to show what he could do as the # 2 guy with Arizona: when Boldin missed 6 games a couple of years ago, then when Boldin and Fitzgerald each missed 3 games apiece in each of the last two seasons. Johnson's numbers during those three stints as the # 2 Wr in Arizona's offense--where they throw the ball more than the Bills do--were hardly better than Josh Reed's average numbers last season.

Everyone wants to excuse B.Johnson's numbers with the Cards because he was the # 3 WR behind two Pro Bowlers, but they don't want to look at what his numbers were when he was given a chance to start. He was the # 3 guy with Arizona for a reason. Do you really think that the Cards wanted a former 1st round draft pick to be their # 3 WR?

Johnson will probably put up good numbers this season in M.Martz's pass-happy offense, but he would not put those kinds of numbers up as the # 2 WR for the Bills--even if Trent Edwards blossoms as a QB this season. And, that's why, even if the Bills did offer him a 1 year deal worth $ 3 million, his agent would be a fool not to tell him to sign with SF instead.

The Bills have said that they want to sign Lee Evans to a contract extension and have kept enough money available to sign him at what it will probably cost to get a deal done with him, but whether a deal gets done is going to be up to Evans. And, as the article in the Buffalo News that appears on the BZ FP and my earlier article that was on the BZ FP both point out, Evans may have some reasons of his own not to be willing or in that much of a hurry to sign a contract extension with the Bills at this point. No matter how much the Bills and their fans want him to sign an extension, if Evans isn't ready or willing to sign one at this point, there is nothing that the Bills are going to be able to do about that. The decision is going to be Evans' entirely.
    Couldn't disagree with you more. We could have signed Johnson for 1 year at $2,000,000 as he wanted to be here rather then SF. If he plays well then we got good service for 1 year for a fair price. Oh and after drafting a good WR in this year's draft we also would have offorded that rookie time to learn in year one to be ready to step up in year two. Then if Johnson can't be resigned by OBD he walks and no one is hurt. If he played well then we still could have offered him a better contract next year long term and also had a rookie with one year under his belt to step in and start if Lee Evans decides he wants to test the FA water next year. That's called a back up plan. The Bills obviously thought that Johnson had good potential otherwise they wouldn't have wanted a long term deal. Albeit incentive laden it was a long term deal that would have kept him in Buffalo for a while.
    I would say that we don't want to be offering anyone a one year deal but when it makes sense then you do it to help the team. If you have a good group of guys which Buffalo does then no hard feelings and we keep on pushing forward. Not to mention not many players want a short contract if they can help it because of the injury potential and the loss of their big pay day. Did you forget about that.

With Evans, the Bills hold the cards here. If Lee doesn't want to sign then he doesn't have to. If he wants to be a hard ass about it then he can play out the final year of his contract and we will franchise him and get another year out of him or get compensation by way of a high draft pick via trade. No one player can dictate team decisions. No player is above the team. Never has, never will. The gray area with Evans resigning is why it was so important for us to sign a solid vet this off season which we didn't do and then draft another to eventually start if need be.