• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Re: Bryant Johnson signs.. With SF

Here's what happened with Johnson
    Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 2:26 PM ET | Link

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED WITH JOHNSON: Since there's been a wide range of opinions on what Johnson would have brought to the Bills had he signed here, and whether the team really wanted him or whether he really wanted to play for Buffalo, I'll outline how things went down between him and the team. The Bills made him a multi-year offer which was very competitive and would have rewarded him further had he produced like a number two receiver.

The Johnson camp was looking for a contract similar to what Donte Stallworth (7-$35M-$10M guaranteed) or Jerry Porter (6-$30M-$10M guaranteed) received in terms of pay per season ($5M per year). The problem is Johnson has never had a 50-catch season, never had a 5 TD reception season and only once has had a season of over 600 receiving yards.

Stallworth has had two seasons of better than 50 catches, 2 seasons of more than 5 TD receptions and 4 seasons of better than 600 yards receiving.

Porter has had three seasons of better than 50 catches, 4 seasons of more than 5 TD receptions and 4 seasons of better than 600 yards receiving.

Sure Johnson can say he had less opportunity as a #3 WR, but you have to do it before teams will pay you like the guys that have. No other team was offering him a multi-year deal in the Stallworth, Porter territory.

At that point the Johnson camp decided they wanted a one-year deal. Buffalo does not give one-year deals to 26-year old players. They are trying to build something over the long haul. A one-year deal doesn't help the team. If they signed Johnson to a one-year deal and he has a big year, then re-signing the player becomes difficult, he signs elsewhere for crazy money and the Bills would be in the same boat they're in now in terms of filling the #2 receiver role.

So by late Thursday the chances of Johnson signing in Buffalo were slim to none. The Johnson camp found a team willing to offer a one-year deal in San Francisco and that's how it ended.

Tampa was never in the mix.

I also don't get the sense at all that the Bills feel not signing Johnson is in any way a setback for the club. He was a viable option they considered to fill a need and they now explore other options, which in my opinion is primarily the draft. There's nothing of any great interest on the free agent market.

---

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

If they had given him 5M per year I would have been upset....

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

If he refused a long term deal, good riddance, imo.

Signing 26 year old players to 1 year deals is stupid, imo and not good for the long term benefit of the team.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
          Lets GO BUFFALO!!
          • Jun 2005

Sounded like he wanted to be here during his interview on sirius just Buffalo didnt want to pay that much and then werent willing to do a 1 year deal

Comment

• The Spaz
            • Mar 2003

For that kind of money him and his agent are ****ing nuts.

Comment

• venis2k1
              Youboty can hope
              • Jul 2002

I dont understand, if we sign him to a 1 year deal. Whats the worst thing that can happen?

We would have a good understanding for what the player can do as a true #2 in our system.

Comment

• Meathead
                Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                • Jul 2002

something aint adding up

so the contract the bills offered has escalators so that if he produced as a #2 he woulda been paid like the other guys the bj felt he was equivalent to

but instead of accepting those terms he takes a one year deal in the hope that he will produce like a #2 and be able to get a guaranteed contract in that range

now if he does produce at that level he woulda already had what he wanted from the bills. and if he doesnt produce at that level he will be right back where he is right now

seems to me hes lost ground. the only upside is if he goes bonkers and produces like a #1 then he would be better off. but that appears unlikely in sfs offense. the risk/reward doesnt appear to justify that decision

did i miss something cuz this dont make any sense
                One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Meathead
                  Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                  • Jul 2002

mahdummi
                  One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                    I'll take Hackett for league minimum.
                    but you said he blows.. why would you want someone who blows even for league minimum? maybe because your aware your full of ****?
                    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• X-Era
                      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
                      Here's what happened with Johnson
                      Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 2:26 PM ET | Link

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED WITH JOHNSON: Since there's been a wide range of opinions on what Johnson would have brought to the Bills had he signed here, and whether the team really wanted him or whether he really wanted to play for Buffalo, I'll outline how things went down between him and the team. The Bills made him a multi-year offer which was very competitive and would have rewarded him further had he produced like a number two receiver.

The Johnson camp was looking for a contract similar to what Donte Stallworth (7-$35M-$10M guaranteed) or Jerry Porter (6-$30M-$10M guaranteed) received in terms of pay per season ($5M per year). The problem is Johnson has never had a 50-catch season, never had a 5 TD reception season and only once has had a season of over 600 receiving yards.

Stallworth has had two seasons of better than 50 catches, 2 seasons of more than 5 TD receptions and 4 seasons of better than 600 yards receiving.

Porter has had three seasons of better than 50 catches, 4 seasons of more than 5 TD receptions and 4 seasons of better than 600 yards receiving.

Sure Johnson can say he had less opportunity as a #3 WR, but you have to do it before teams will pay you like the guys that have. No other team was offering him a multi-year deal in the Stallworth, Porter territory.

At that point the Johnson camp decided they wanted a one-year deal. Buffalo does not give one-year deals to 26-year old players. They are trying to build something over the long haul. A one-year deal doesn't help the team. If they signed Johnson to a one-year deal and he has a big year, then re-signing the player becomes difficult, he signs elsewhere for crazy money and the Bills would be in the same boat they're in now in terms of filling the #2 receiver role.

So by late Thursday the chances of Johnson signing in Buffalo were slim to none. The Johnson camp found a team willing to offer a one-year deal in San Francisco and that's how it ended.

Tampa was never in the mix.

I also don't get the sense at all that the Bills feel not signing Johnson is in any way a setback for the club. He was a viable option they considered to fill a need and they now explore other options, which in my opinion is primarily the draft. There's nothing of any great interest on the free agent market.

---
                      Well, I agree and dont agree with the Bills.

I agree that they shouldnt be giving him a one year deal.

But, the going rate for a #2 WR is what it is. Thats what Stallworth and Porter are. Johnson is a bonafide #2 who happened to be behind two pro-bowlers. Not 5 mill per? OK, then 4, any less and you just arent gonna sign a FA WR thats worth a crap to a long term deal. As I said before, I expected a deal worth 3-5, if they offered under that (and we may never know), then they are nuts and arent being "competitive".

The truth is we didnt get him, there aint much else worth much out there, so we look to the draft where Im really happy with the prospects.

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Meathead
                        something aint adding up

so the contract the bills offered has escalators so that if he produced as a #2 he woulda been paid like the other guys the bj felt he was equivalent to

but instead of accepting those terms he takes a one year deal in the hope that he will produce like a #2 and be able to get a guaranteed contract in that range

now if he does produce at that level he woulda already had what he wanted from the bills. and if he doesnt produce at that level he will be right back where he is right now

seems to me hes lost ground. the only upside is if he goes bonkers and produces like a #1 then he would be better off. but that appears unlikely in sfs offense. the risk/reward doesnt appear to justify that decision

did i miss something cuz this dont make any sense
                        It feels to me as if they were offering something more like 3 mill per and Johnson and his camp feel like they will prove hes a #2 and he will earn that 5 mill contract next year.

If all we offered was 3 mill per, he probably has a legit reason to go after proving himself on the field to earn more money.

Its over now and I dont care anymore.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                          Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                          • Jun 2005

I hope he gets gurt and missed 5-6 games and then hits open market next year That will teach him

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by venis2k1
                            I dont understand, if we sign him to a 1 year deal. Whats the worst thing that can happen?

We would have a good understanding for what the player can do as a true #2 in our system.
                            No, we dont address the WR position early in the draft thinking our need has been filles with Johnson, Johnson shows hes a #2 or better, we dont pay him or Evans, and we end up holding our shlongs next year at WR.

Thats the worst thing that could happen.

Would it have? who the heck knows.

If the Bills landed him for a longer term contract, and he plays well, we chose to keep him, if not we cut him.

The choice is ours and no longer his with a long term deal.

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BEASTMODE
                              I hope he gets gurt and missed 5-6 games and then hits open market next year That will teach him
                              Thats the risk he takes... true.

Of course the flip side is true too. He could sign here long term, get hurt for 5-6 games, be healthy when the seasons over, and the Bills cut him because hes "injury prone".

Comment

• Luisito23
                                Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                                • Apr 2003

So he decides he wants to prove himself with a team that has a garbage QB, and a garbage OL??.........Good luck with that.
                                "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                                ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                                ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                                ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

Working...
                                X