Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Debate #2 Open Thread

I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats. BlackMetalNinja's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Debate #2 Open Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy
    See I have a huge issue with a Bills Donor zone because of what happened at FH. Its donors board was a great place to talk shop but the regular board became pretty much crap and when the regular board is the first thing a potential new member sees, thats not a good impression. Either that or you run the risk of having a Donor Bills board where there is No-Tos and its essentially a huge smack zone but of Bills fans v. Bills fans.
    Valid point, I'm just searching for things that would draw people's interest, and I don't think Playa's idea of having debates in the No-TOS is going to do that in the least. There is more than enough free debating going on all over this place already.

Dude's Little Ignorant Crony RockStar36's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Because I got the impression in his reponse that he will be able to look at the books and make the site more money, or something to that effect. I don't think it would really work that way. It seemed like it was more of an excuse to throw out that he has a fancy title for some company.

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I am curious to know why looking at how the donations are coming in, or where they are coming from is such a bad idea exactly? This was Playa's own idea and Im not sold on it either way, but I am curious why some think its such a bad idea. What are the reasons behind it?
    He is ambitious no doubt, and he has the best intentions.
    I think having a temporary MOD walking in and looking at the books is just a bit much. The zone has had a team in place that handles this sort of thing. I think having the new guy in off the street looking at the books is just a bit much.

As I have mentioned I truly think the Presidential Position is going to be highly monitored. I am fine with that I just want to get in the ring and throw around ideas with the Big Dogs.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I am curious to know why looking at how the donations are coming in, or where they are coming from is such a bad idea exactly? This was Playa's own idea and Im not sold on it either way, but I am curious why some think its such a bad idea. What are the reasons behind it?
    Of the current staff... that being mods/admins, how many of them have the ability to, or have actually done so rather? It didn't seem like it was a common place activitiy for all the staff to know the financial #s behind what is essentially a privately owned board. Yet Playa is going to come in as a Day 1 Mod and have access to all that?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

To back up BMN, I know about the Zones finances about as much as I know about quantum physics.

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMetalNinja
    Of the current staff... that being mods/admins, how many of them have the ability to, or have actually done so rather? It didn't seem like it was a common place activitiy for all the staff to know the financial #s behind what is essentially a privately owned board.
    I do feel the same way but lets keep this discussion productive. Playa was trying to put his skills into action. The idea is great, the execution is tricky.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MBBedard
    I do feel the same way but lets keep this discussion productive. Playa was trying to put his skills into action. The idea is great, the execution is tricky.
    I'm not trying to dig into anyone here, I just honestly am not sure why he thinks he'll have more authority than those that have been around and likely don't know much about the numbers himself. I'm sure his intentions are nothing but the best and that he is trying to use the skills from his daily job to good benefit here.

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If it is a privately owned zite, that kind of information should be kept private. I don't believe anyone is getting rich off the site (which I understand is NOT the intention of looking at the books) so I don't see how knowing how much it costs to run the site and how much the site gets in donations will have any bearing on how to improve the No TOS or how to get more people to donate.

I like the gift ideas. Maybe there could be a zone "store" where for a slight markup a t-shirt or keychain or bumper sticker or refrigerator magnet could be purchased. I think something like that was done in the past, but not to this degree. Cost/feasability would have to be looked into.

We have such a great community here at the BillsZone and many of its members might like to help but don't feel that they could write articles. How about some of our members (like mybills or redeye for instance) come up with billszone related art to sell in the store or maybe for an auction to raise money for the site? In a case like that, mybills or redeye can receive a free year subscription if the piece sells for a nice amount. We should use our zoners talents to our advantage if they would be willing to accept the challenge.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If someone has been a writer on the Zone have they not in the past been asked to write?

If someone has graphic or VBulletin skills in the past have they not been asked to help ??

My intentions are being skewed like I am some mad accounting scientist wanting to know and divulge secret confidential items.

As a CFO I deal with confidential records everyday, and keep that confidentiality. My intent is to review and make suggestions where I can. Using my real life experience to help the Zone.

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Playa
    If someone has been a writer on the Zone have they not in the past been asked to write?

If someone has graphic or VBulletin skills in the past have they not been asked to help ??

My intentions are being skewed like I am some mad accounting scientist wanting to know and divulge secret confidential items.

As a CFO I deal with confidential records everyday, and keep that confidentiality. My intent is to review and make suggestions where I can. Using my real life experience to help the Zone.
    I believe you are taking this in a way that it was not intended. Nobody is questioning your financial skills, they just don't see how it would help. I don't think anyone thinks your intentions are anything but honorable.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by chernobylwraiths
    If it is a privately owned zite, that kind of information should be kept private. I don't believe anyone is getting rich off the site (which I understand is NOT the intention of looking at the books) so I don't see how knowing how much it costs to run the site and how much the site gets in donations will have any bearing on how to improve the No TOS or how to get more people to donate.

I like the gift ideas. Maybe there could be a zone "store" where for a slight markup a t-shirt or keychain or bumper sticker or refrigerator magnet could be purchased. I think something like that was done in the past, but not to this degree. Cost/feasability would have to be looked into.

We have such a great community here at the BillsZone and many of its members might like to help but don't feel that they could write articles. How about some of our members (like mybills or redeye for instance) come up with billszone related art to sell in the store or maybe for an auction to raise money for the site? In a case like that, mybills or redeye can receive a free year subscription if the piece sells for a nice amount. We should use our zoners talents to our advantage if they would be willing to accept the challenge.
    Hasn't TGOJK done a custom figure that was raffled off? That was a fantastic idea IMO. Draw upon the talents of the members. When I first started donating Wys sauce was a premium. As you mentioned a cafe press type store might be a nice addition.
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I believe you are taking this in a way that it was not intended. Nobody is questioning your financial skills, they just don't see how it would help. I don't think anyone thinks your intentions are anything but honorable.
    Right, we're not talking about a multi-million dollar company here. I'd think the ins and outs financially are pretty straightforward, and I'd also think that those that have already been charged with taking care of it up to this point are capable of making it flow to it's best ability.

I'm not questioning your skills or intentions Playa, merely you using this as a way to help win this election, when I don't think it's perhaps a necessary tool.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Billszone magnets and keychains are a nice perk. I'd say t-shirts and hats are not.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzlingr
    Hasn't TGOJK done a custom figure that was raffled off? That was a fantastic idea IMO. Draw upon the talents of the members. When I first started donating Wys sauce was a premium. As you mentioned a cafe press type store might be a nice addition.
    You beat me to it... TGOJK does great work, hell, even Bedard has made some awesome custom figures. Seek these sorts of talent out and hold auctions or raffles for them, with proceeds exceeding inital cost (or including initial cost if the donor of those skills so wishes) going towards the Zone's overall funds.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Looking at trends of donations both present and past as well as expenses and researching if there are more cost effective ways to d othings can help in several ways.

As I proposed in the debate, to come up with what the median donation is on a monthly basis, so instead of having tiers there would be one base donation monthly and one base donation annually.

Also, if you can project what your future revenue is going to be you can also come up with a marketing and advertising budget.

My intent is to help the Zone organize this and being able to attract as many donors as possible as well as knowing what is availble to market the Zone after the operating costs are met.

There is no intent in making the Zone profitable or more profitable rather to examine ways to advertise the Zone more using the donations to increase traffic and visibility.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Looking at trends of donations both present and past as well as expenses and researching if there are more cost effective ways to d othings can help in several ways.

As I proposed in the debate, to come up with what the median donation is on a monthly basis, so instead of having tiers there would be one base donation monthly and one base donation annually.

Also, if you can project what your future revenue is going to be you can also come up with a marketing and advertising budget.

My intent is to help the Zone organize this and being able to attract as many donors as possible as well as knowing what is availble to market the Zone after the operating costs are met.

There is no intent in making the Zone profitable or more profitable rather to examine ways to advertise the Zone more using the donations to increase traffic and visibility.
    I'm really not for setting one single donation level. Sure, those that can/want to give more still can, but you might be pricing out some of the others. I want to donate to this site, and I do my best to do so, but it's not always financially feesible either. If you raise the amount to one overall average, you maybe raising that level beyond what some are willing to pay.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I like the whole donate for a year and actually only pay for 11 months. As of right now I don't see any incentive to donating for a whole year except you don't have to re-up every month. There should be some incentive to giving for a whole year.

I also think donors could receive a newsletter with staff writings, whats new with the site and stuff like that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMetalNinja
    I'm really not for setting one single donation level. Sure, those that can/want to give more still can, but you might be pricing out some of the others. I want to donate to this site, and I do my best to do so, but it's not always financially feesible either. If you raise the amount to one overall average, you maybe raising that level beyond what some are willing to pay.
    The point is not to price people out of donating, it is to encourage more people to donate. If you discover and set a median price point of donations it can actually increase revenues by encoraging more people to donate.

Also, with the proposal for first time donors can check out the benefits of donating for $1 for the first month, it could be an easy transition to becoming a regular donor.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The point is not to price people out of donating, it is to encourage more people to donate. If you discover and set a median price point of donations it can actually increase revenues by encoraging more people to donate.

Also, with the proposal for first time donors can check out the benefits of donating for $1 for the first month, it could be an easy transition to becoming a regular donor.
    I think it would push them away.

They would donate $1 and see the in the No-TOS and probably not donate.

Then again, it would make the site an extra $1 that it wouldn't have had before.

I do think the median price would push people out though. The 2.50 is a nice option and if the price is changed to go higher some people might stop donating.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by RockStar36
    I like the whole donate for a year and actually only pay for 11 months. As of right now I don't see any incentive to donating for a whole year except you don't have to re-up every month. There should be some incentive to giving for a whole year.

I also think donors could receive a newsletter with staff writings, whats new with the site and stuff like that.
    You're not a math major are you?

Current donations: $2.50/month, $25.00/year, $5/month, $50/year, $10/month, $100/year... aka 12 months for the price of 10! Playa's plan would actually decrease the current discount.