Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Debate #2 Open Thread

I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats. BlackMetalNinja's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Debate #2 Open Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzlingr
    you have a problem with education and culture? While I don't watch PBS as much as I probably should, there are some good programs.
    While I agree, those two shows aren't some of them Asking me if I have a problem with education when my aspirations are to become a teacher is kinda funny though.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat
    2) I think all of the candidates somewhat missed the boat on making donating more attractive to the average user. One of the attractions of participating on a message board are the bells and whistles, the 'toys', that members get to 'play' with regarding their on-line persona, especially avatars, etc. The store discounts should be increased dramatically with membership, starting at 50% instead of 10%. Being able to change your avatar at a more reasonable zonebux $ amount is a bigger draw than a private forum, IMO, and it would eliminate the necessity to require a bunch of fairies running around doing favors for those 'in need'. Help the members be able to help themselves.

3) A donate button/link to the donor page with all the benefits listed should appear on every page, in the most visible location possible, not just select pages.
    I really like your ideas here. Especially with the discounts for members.
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats. BlackMetalNinja's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Just a couple of comments from a 'regular' member for the candidates to consider...

1) I have donated minimally in the past because A) I don't believe in private forums for a public message board...It creates a 'clique-ish' atmosphere B) When I have donated, the No-TOS isn't worth it anyway and in all honesty neither are many of the other benefits.

2) I think all of the candidates somewhat missed the boat on making donating more attractive to the average user. One of the attractions of participating on a message board are the bells and whistles, the 'toys', that members get to 'play' with regarding their on-line persona, especially avatars, etc. The store discounts should be increased dramatically with membership, starting at 50% instead of 10%. Being able to change your avatar at a more reasonable zonebux $ amount is a bigger draw than a private forum, IMO, and it would eliminate the necessity to require a bunch of fairies running around doing favors for those 'in need'. Help the members be able to help themselves.

3) A donate button/link to the donor page with all the benefits listed should appear on every page, in the most visible location possible, not just select pages.
    I've been waiting for you to bust that back out! I agree though... we've started being too generous with fixing all those sort of things for people. Add these in to some of the perks of being a paying member instead of just handing it all out to people when they ask.

Your last point is spot on too. You shouldn't be able to go anywhere on this site without seeing a link to becoming a donor essentially. I honestly haven't paid attention to how prevelant that is at the moment, but I'll trust Yard Rat saying it isn't everywhere.

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Just a couple of comments from a 'regular' member for the candidates to consider...
    Some good points there YR. Especially from the marketing perspective. We really should have the donate buttons visable. Although I operate in stealth mode which is a great way to not get bagged at work, and also a great donor perk.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,853 Times in 3,502 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

From Bedard... I propose we develop a Bills forum in the No Tos specifically for Bills football talk, we promote it as such a place where you can talk about Bills Football Uncensored!

I have always wished there was a Bills forum in there for us donationaters. And I would hope that any of the candidates would impliment this idea.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,853 Times in 3,502 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

From Playa... There is something I believe that could not only make the No Tos better, but also discover new talent and utilize the talent we have already here on the Zone.
    In the No-Tos, spurred on from this Election, have a Debate topic of the day. In the Off Season topics could include, The Draft, Free Agency, Politics, Social Topic of the Day, which woman is more beautiful, etc etc.

Outstanding idea! I would love this.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMetalNinja
    While I agree, those two shows aren't some of them Asking me if I have a problem with education when my aspirations are to become a teacher is kinda funny though.
    While I am not a fan in the least, Masterpiece theater does bring classic literature to the masses that normally wouldn't be exposed to it. Shows like Nova, or Ken Burns films are good too. As far as Antiques Roadshow I do like that on occaision

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132
    From Bedard... I propose we develop a Bills forum in the No Tos specifically for Bills football talk, we promote it as such a place where you can talk about Bills Football Uncensored!

I have always wished there was a Bills forum in there for us donationaters. And I would hope that any of the candidates would impliment this idea.
    I honestly think that idea would end up spelling the demise of the Bills Zone in general. Absolutely terrible.

For new people, who would pay to join this site when they're going to see minimal to no content on the main board while the donors are all off "jerking themself a soda" in No-TOS?

They won't. They'll simply go to others, who are competitors, who offer that very service free.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by chernobylwraiths
    If it is a privately owned zite, that kind of information should be kept private. I don't believe anyone is getting rich off the site (which I understand is NOT the intention of looking at the books) so I don't see how knowing how much it costs to run the site and how much the site gets in donations will have any bearing on how to improve the No TOS or how to get more people to donate.

I like the gift ideas. Maybe there could be a zone "store" where for a slight markup a t-shirt or keychain or bumper sticker or refrigerator magnet could be purchased. I think something like that was done in the past, but not to this degree. Cost/feasability would have to be looked into.

We have such a great community here at the BillsZone and many of its members might like to help but don't feel that they could write articles. How about some of our members (like mybills or redeye for instance) come up with billszone related art to sell in the store or maybe for an auction to raise money for the site? In a case like that, mybills or redeye can receive a free year subscription if the piece sells for a nice amount. We should use our zoners talents to our advantage if they would be willing to accept the challenge.
    I'm game!
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY!
    I honestly think that idea would end up spelling the demise of the Bills Zone in general. Absolutely terrible.

For new people, who would pay to join this site when they're going to see minimal to no content on the main board while the donors are all off "jerking themself a soda" in No-TOS?

They won't. They'll simply go to others, who are competitors, who offer that very service free.
    I agree.

Dude's Little Ignorant Crony RockStar36's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think stealth mode should be advertised more. It does come in handy while at work.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,454 Times in 14,166 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I agree.
    Im confused you agree with FTY here which is in direct contradiction to MBB's plan which you said you had no issue with in his debate thread?
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Roways rooking ahread! Mitchy moo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132
    From Playa... There is something I believe that could not only make the No Tos better, but also discover new talent and utilize the talent we have already here on the Zone.
    In the No-Tos, spurred on from this Election, have a Debate topic of the day. In the Off Season topics could include, The Draft, Free Agency, Politics, Social Topic of the Day, which woman is more beautiful, etc etc.

Outstanding idea! I would love this.
    Keep up the great work Playa!!!

Dude's Little Ignorant Crony RockStar36's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Skooby
    Keep up the great work Playa!!!
    If Playa wins the vote will you be more inclined to donate to the site?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy
    Im confused you agree with FTY here which is in direct contradiction to MBB's plan which you said you had no issue with in his debate thread?
    That makes two of us...I'd like clarification from the Gunz camp.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

As I stated in my thread moving everything to the No TOS zone is not a good idea, with is what I was agreeing with FTY on. I guess I misinterpreted MBB's stance, I thought that he had said what FTY was saying. I don't think the Bills discussion should be exclusive to paying members, and said so in my answer.

I am sorry if there was some confusion.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

As I stated in my thread moving everything to the No TOS zone is not a good idea, with is what I was agreeing with FTY on. I guess I misinterpreted MBB's stance, I thought that he had said what FTY was saying. I don't think the Bills discussion should be exclusive to paying members, and said so in my answer.

I am sorry if there was some confusion.
    No problem so we are clear though, you do not fully support MBB's idea of creating a donors only BZ?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I was saying in addition to the Billszone not exclusive to No Tos.

So there would be a BillsZone Unsensored in addition to what we have now.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MBBedard
    I was saying in addition to the Billszone not exclusive to No Tos.

So there would be a BillsZone Unsensored in addition to what we have now.
    That's what I said a Donors only BZ