• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Debate #2 Open Thread

Originally posted by DraftBoy
    I think we also need to bring in new members and if that means more diversity Im certainly not against that. I think we have the staff and membership base to be the best football site on the net, we just need to get our name out there more.
    Another key thng that we need before the members start flowing in is a couple more solid writers. We lack a bit on the original content and that ALWAYS draws people to the site. I'll admit that I myself slacked off this year, but if we can add a few more writers to the stable for gameday articles, postgame articles, and weekly columns, then we will see the traffic increase for sure IMO.

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja
      I'll agree that everybody for the most part did a good job answering the questions at hand.

Piggy backing off of Bedard's point about having a specific Bills talk section of the No-TOS, I think this could be great. I've heard others mention that Fin Heaven has something along these lines already and that it's known there that if you want the real good, serious, people who know what they're talking about and aren't just looking for a fight discussions, that's where you go. I think we could pull the same off here. Lure some of our better Billszone posters in there to have some great Bills discussions and give the general board snippets of the talk in there, enticing them to subscribe.

Additionally, I think one big issue we have is that most people currently see donating as a way to gain access to the No-TOS forum. I think we could put more emphasis on the other benefits of being a donor, and most importantly as Bedard mentioned, the fact that this place exists in main part because of donations.
      See I have a huge issue with a Bills Donor zone because of what happened at FH. Its donors board was a great place to talk shop but the regular board became pretty much crap and when the regular board is the first thing a potential new member sees, thats not a good impression. Either that or you run the risk of having a Donor Bills board where there is No-Tos and its essentially a huge smack zone but of Bills fans v. Bills fans.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Devin
        The Octagon
        • Apr 2003

I'll agree that everybody for the most part did a good job answering the questions at hand.

Piggy backing off of Bedard's point about having a specific Bills talk section of the No-TOS, I think this could be great. I've heard others mention that Fin Heaven has something along these lines already and that it's known there that if you want the real good, serious, people who know what they're talking about and aren't just looking for a fight discussions, that's where you go. I think we could pull the same off here. Lure some of our better Billszone posters in there to have some great Bills discussions and give the general board snippets of the talk in there, enticing them to subscribe.

Additionally, I think one big issue we have is that most people currently see donating as a way to gain access to the No-TOS forum. I think we could put more emphasis on the other benefits of being a donor, and most importantly as Bedard mentioned, the fact that this place exists in main part because of donations.
        I think everyone is pretty well aware that donations keep this place going.

As far as a no-tos BZ this has been killed countless times. The fear in general, and I am saying in general but there are plenty of reasons, is that all you are doing is diverting traffic away from the Bills forums.

While donations are great this site is not a "pay to play" site. Bills fans, or any football fan for that matter, should not have to pay to get good football talk. We as a staff, and imo for the most part we do a great job, simply must stay on top of that main forum.

Lets not get it twisted, while no-tos and TZ....etc are all a lot of fun we are a Bills football fan site. Bills football talk will always come first. A lot of time was spent developing the NFL forums, the draft forums....etc.

Subdividing furthur and adding in basically "uncensored Bills talk" may add a few donations here and there, but ultimatley you will just be taking donors out the main forum.
        http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• RockStar36
          Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
          • Sep 2004

I think there should be a little incentive or gift for donating. No-TOS isn't really all it's cracked up to be IMO. The point should be stressed that without donations the site will crash and burn. There could be a little side benefit to Zone outings for donations. Like when we paid the cover at Brunners, have an extra dollar or two go towards Zone donations.

I also think Playa looking into the books is a ludicrious idea.

D & S Sports

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

I am curious to know why looking at how the donations are coming in, or where they are coming from is such a bad idea exactly? This was Playa's own idea and Im not sold on it either way, but I am curious why some think its such a bad idea. What are the reasons behind it?
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
              I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
              • May 2005

See I have a huge issue with a Bills Donor zone because of what happened at FH. Its donors board was a great place to talk shop but the regular board became pretty much crap and when the regular board is the first thing a potential new member sees, thats not a good impression. Either that or you run the risk of having a Donor Bills board where there is No-Tos and its essentially a huge smack zone but of Bills fans v. Bills fans.
              Valid point, I'm just searching for things that would draw people's interest, and I don't think Playa's idea of having debates in the No-TOS is going to do that in the least. There is more than enough free debating going on all over this place already.

Comment

• RockStar36
                • Sep 2004

Because I got the impression in his reponse that he will be able to look at the books and make the site more money, or something to that effect. I don't think it would really work that way. It seemed like it was more of an excuse to throw out that he has a fancy title for some company.

D & S Sports

Comment

• The King
                  Without me it's just Awe so
                  • Jun 2004

I am curious to know why looking at how the donations are coming in, or where they are coming from is such a bad idea exactly? This was Playa's own idea and Im not sold on it either way, but I am curious why some think its such a bad idea. What are the reasons behind it?
                  He is ambitious no doubt, and he has the best intentions.
                  I think having a temporary MOD walking in and looking at the books is just a bit much. The zone has had a team in place that handles this sort of thing. I think having the new guy in off the street looking at the books is just a bit much.

As I have mentioned I truly think the Presidential Position is going to be highly monitored. I am fine with that I just want to get in the ring and throw around ideas with the Big Dogs.
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                  He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                  mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                    • May 2005

Of the current staff... that being mods/admins, how many of them have the ability to, or have actually done so rather? It didn't seem like it was a common place activitiy for all the staff to know the financial #s behind what is essentially a privately owned board. Yet Playa is going to come in as a Day 1 Mod and have access to all that?

Comment

• RockStar36
                      • Sep 2004

To back up BMN, I know about the Zones finances about as much as I know about quantum physics.

D & S Sports

Comment

• The King
                        Without me it's just Awe so
                        • Jun 2004

Of the current staff... that being mods/admins, how many of them have the ability to, or have actually done so rather? It didn't seem like it was a common place activitiy for all the staff to know the financial #s behind what is essentially a privately owned board.
                        I do feel the same way but lets keep this discussion productive. Playa was trying to put his skills into action. The idea is great, the execution is tricky.
                        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                        It was all
                        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by MBBedard
                          I do feel the same way but lets keep this discussion productive. Playa was trying to put his skills into action. The idea is great, the execution is tricky.
                          I'm not trying to dig into anyone here, I just honestly am not sure why he thinks he'll have more authority than those that have been around and likely don't know much about the numbers himself. I'm sure his intentions are nothing but the best and that he is trying to use the skills from his daily job to good benefit here.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                            • Jan 2003

If it is a privately owned zite, that kind of information should be kept private. I don't believe anyone is getting rich off the site (which I understand is NOT the intention of looking at the books) so I don't see how knowing how much it costs to run the site and how much the site gets in donations will have any bearing on how to improve the No TOS or how to get more people to donate.

I like the gift ideas. Maybe there could be a zone "store" where for a slight markup a t-shirt or keychain or bumper sticker or refrigerator magnet could be purchased. I think something like that was done in the past, but not to this degree. Cost/feasability would have to be looked into.

We have such a great community here at the BillsZone and many of its members might like to help but don't feel that they could write articles. How about some of our members (like mybills or redeye for instance) come up with billszone related art to sell in the store or maybe for an auction to raise money for the site? In a case like that, mybills or redeye can receive a free year subscription if the piece sells for a nice amount. We should use our zoners talents to our advantage if they would be willing to accept the challenge.

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                              • Aug 2003

If someone has been a writer on the Zone have they not in the past been asked to write?

If someone has graphic or VBulletin skills in the past have they not been asked to help ??

My intentions are being skewed like I am some mad accounting scientist wanting to know and divulge secret confidential items.

As a CFO I deal with confidential records everyday, and keep that confidentiality. My intent is to review and make suggestions where I can. Using my real life experience to help the Zone.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by L.A. Playa
                                If someone has been a writer on the Zone have they not in the past been asked to write?

If someone has graphic or VBulletin skills in the past have they not been asked to help ??

My intentions are being skewed like I am some mad accounting scientist wanting to know and divulge secret confidential items.

As a CFO I deal with confidential records everyday, and keep that confidentiality. My intent is to review and make suggestions where I can. Using my real life experience to help the Zone.
                                I believe you are taking this in a way that it was not intended. Nobody is questioning your financial skills, they just don't see how it would help. I don't think anyone thinks your intentions are anything but honorable.

Comment

Working...
                                X