Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LA Playa's Final Debate Thread

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

LA Playa's Final Debate Thread

Final Presidential Debate Questions
    These questions were submitted by your fellow Zoners. These are issues that are important to them. Please answer each question as fully and in as much detail as possible.

For ease of reading, I ask that you respond to each of the 6 questions in a separate post. After you have posted all of your responses, your opponent can then rebut each of the 6 responses. You may then respond to each of the five rebuttals.

Only MBBedard and LA Playa may post in the debate threads. Violators will be given 10 warning points.

The debate threads will be open for the next 24 hours. The final election will begin at 5:00 pm EST on Tuesday, and will close at 5:00 pm EST on Thursday.

Good luck gentlemen, you have both done an outstanding job throughout the campaign process, and I applaud you both. May the best Zoner win!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: MBB's Final Debate Thread

1. I believe this forum has become outdated. The big rage in social Internet sites today is thumbsup/thumbsdown features.

The site also needs a facial makeover and needs new features like video and personalization.

Digg.com is extremely successful with their format of digging an article and then replying directly to comments.

I believe if the zone would update their whole forum to more of a Web 2.0 standard, it would be able to take a step above other competitive sites...

How would the candidate be able to upgrade the site to stand above the rest?
    ~Afinegenov61

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

2. The "best" forum on the internet is arguably the Sons of Sam Horn message board (of the Boston Red Sox). "Best" in quotation marks because it is also perhaps the most stringent in terms of its rules and the enforcement thereof. One of the unique features of the board is that posters must prove themselves worthy of being able to post on the main SOSH board, either by a consistent stream of insightful analysis/commentary in the Sandbox forum (thereby meriting promotion to the big leagues), or one of a number of other ways including adding to the SOSH wiki. What do you think of this idea, given the strife that has occurred on this and other message boards by posters who detract from the discussion with inane/repetitive comments or are overt flamers/spammers? What do you think is the right balance of moderation in order to keep the board enjoyable, yet diverse?

P.S. I am not a fan of the Boston Red Sox nor do I post on SOSH.
    ~ajsdx

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

3. If you won what specifically would you do to work with the losing candidate in incorporating their ideas and/or goals for Billszone in with your own?

What was your strategy coming into this election?

How would you improve the process next year if this contest is held again?
    ~anonymous

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

4. what are the candidates' opinions on temporary donor status(<1month) for newer members?

and perhaps attaching a minor milestone to such a status ie: 500 posts, or something along those lines?
    ~Mski

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

5. There are a few members of the Bills Zone associated with the military that deploy around the world. In what ways, if any, would you propose the Bills Zone shows support for them while they are deployed?
    ~jamze132

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

6. Please give a brief summary of the issues you feel need to be addressed by the Zone President in order to improve the overall quality of the Zone.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by shelby
    1. I believe this forum has become outdated. The big rage in social Internet sites today is thumbsup/thumbsdown features.

The site also needs a facial makeover and needs new features like video and personalization.

Digg.com is extremely successful with their format of digging an article and then replying directly to comments.

I believe if the zone would update their whole forum to more of a Web 2.0 standard, it would be able to take a step above other competitive sites...

How would the candidate be able to upgrade the site to stand above the rest?
    ~Afinegenov61
    One of the first things I instructed my team, especially Devin, to do was to research the new features of Vbulletin that where ready to come out. Now this is not to say that I or my campaign is responsible in any way shape or form for the Vbulletin update, it is to say we have been doing our research on every topic to be fully educated on what will be available to improve the Zone soon, so we can be an integral part in shaping the Zone in a new and exciting manner.

That being said, there are a lot of customizable features coming in the new Vbulletin update. Here is a link to the Vbulletin website for Zoners to look at some of the features http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249460 .

I would make the information of what is possible to Zoners and allow their input of what they would like to see done to the forums, there is a hack available in the Vbulletin 3.7 version to allow for “Digg’ing” content, I would discuss with the staff the feasibility of adding this feature to the current forums, as well as with the Pro’s and Con’s of using it.

I would also discuss with JJ the possibility of creating a new layout for the front page based on suggestions from the Zoners who have and will contact me concerning this as well as work with Devin and Dude on possible forum modifications that would best suit the Zone.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

2. The "best" forum on the internet is arguably the Sons of Sam Horn message board (of the Boston Red Sox). "Best" in quotation marks because it is also perhaps the most stringent in terms of its rules and the enforcement thereof. One of the unique features of the board is that posters must prove themselves worthy of being able to post on the main SOSH board, either by a consistent stream of insightful analysis/commentary in the Sandbox forum (thereby meriting promotion to the big leagues), or one of a number of other ways including adding to the SOSH wiki. What do you think of this idea, given the strife that has occurred on this and other message boards by posters who detract from the discussion with inane/repetitive comments or are overt flamers/spammers? What do you think is the right balance of moderation in order to keep the board enjoyable, yet diverse?

P.S. I am not a fan of the Boston Red Sox nor do I post on SOSH.
    ~ajsdx

I would like to start by saying the Mods/Admins do a great job here at the Zone. I still believe that a PM telling someone in a respectful yet stern way will quell 90 % of problems. For the other 9 % a final more aggressive and stern warning will quell them, but for the remaining 1% of the problem posters, a more aggressive point award system would be in order and quite possibly a three strike and your out policy should be instituted.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

3. If you won what specifically would you do to work with the losing candidate in incorporating their ideas and/or goals for Billszone in with your own?

What was your strategy coming into this election?

How would you improve the process next year if this contest is held again?
    ~anonymous
    After the election is over I would immediately send a PM to MBB and congratulate him on a great campaign and ask him his specific ideas to make the Zone better. I believe MBB is a great entertainer and has started many threads to entertain his fellow Zoner so I would be sure to listen and see what ideas can be incorporated together with my vision and give him full credit for each of his ideas that become implemented.

My strategy coming into this campaign was to focus on the issues, take the concerns that Zoners had come with me to and ideas they had to make the Zone better and make them issues. I am a multifaceted man and previous to the election I had for the most part shown may fun loving, sarcastic and humorous side. In this election I have been criticized for showing another side, my strong, educated, serious, professional, leadership side. I believe a leader is someone who encompasses all those facets and more. So in this election I planned on showing that along with showing more of me and my background in real life which would show my qualities on and off the Zone as a great leader for the people.

I believe this year Shelby did an outstanding job, she should be applauded for all her hard work and patience. Next year announce a few weeks ahead of time that there will be an election and let Zoners interested submit their name and teams to the Election Staff. Yes a staff rather than just Shelby to run and regulate the process, many hands make a light load and I believe having a team led by Shelby would make the process even better next year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

4. what are the candidates' opinions on temporary donor status(<1month) for newer members?

and perhaps attaching a minor milestone to such a status ie: 500 posts, or something along those lines?
    ~Mski
    I think this is a fantastic idea. Perhaps we could have a “donor day”, in which after a certain amount of posts, perhaps 500, the poster would be notified via PM that they will have the privileges of donorship to see what they would receive if they donated.

I think ultimately by creating a sense of ownership, making users feel like this is their home away from home and instilling a sense of pride in the quality of the forums, this will make Zoners want to donate and to help build and be apart of the site

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

5. There are a few members of the Bills Zone associated with the military that deploy around the world. In what ways, if any, would you propose the Bills Zone shows support for them while they are deployed?
    ~jamze132
    With my late father having been a Veteran of the Military, I have discussed with Devin early on an idea along these lines. I knew Devins family in general but specifically his father served most of his life in the armed forces as well. We came up with an idea to use a Vbulletin function to create a “what you missed today” type of thing given the differing time zones so Zoners deployed around the World would have easy access to new information.

We also have talked about creating a Sub Forum, based on feasibility and approval of all staff, called “Support your Zoner Troops”. In this forum Zoners could leave an encouraging message to our Zoners defending us and also find out where we could send care packages to them.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

6. Please give a brief summary of the issues you feel need to be addressed by the Zone President in order to improve the overall quality of the Zone.
    I believe as a Staff and community we can brainstorm and come up with creative ways to better market the Zone. We have the most complete and exclusive content of any Bills Fan Site on the web.

Clump’s cap page has been used by media outlets and given credit for, DraftBoy’s Draft guide is second to none on any website. We have the talent here and the content that is used by many.

I have spoken to DraftBoy about his starting a Draft Bloq that will not only have his information available to 1,000’s more but also direct them directly to the Zone.

I believe that my experience as a leader in organizing a team and working as part of a team, my compassion and heart for my fellow Zoner makes me the ideal candidate to listen and fight for their concerns and needs. Also, it allows me to intelligently present these ideas to the staff and gives me the ability to work as part of the team to come up with solutions to each and every Zoners concerns and needs.

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Playa
    I would discuss with the staff the feasibility of adding this feature to the current forums, as well as with the Pro’s and Con’s of using it.
    What is your actual stance on Digg? Are you for it or against it?
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I would like to start by saying the Mods/Admins do a great job here at the Zone. I still believe that a PM telling someone in a respectful yet stern way will quell 90 % of problems. For the other 9 % a final more aggressive and stern warning will quell them, but for the remaining 1% of the problem posters, a more aggressive point award system would be in order and quite possibly a three strike and your out policy should be instituted.
    So are you for or against a "starter forum"?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My strategy coming into this campaign was to focus on the issues, take the concerns that Zoners had come with me to and ideas they had to make the Zone better and make them issues. I am a multifaceted man and previous to the election I had for the most part shown may fun loving, sarcastic and humorous side. In this election I have been criticized for showing another side, my strong, educated, serious, professional, leadership side. I believe a leader is someone who encompasses all those facets and more.
    You have shown different faces in this election as well. While your debate answers have all been formal it looks very different from the guy who posted individual promises to about 20 zoners.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sea...earchid=856782

Which one is the real you? Follow up, to be zone President do you feel you need to have a different more "professional" persona?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think ultimately by creating a sense of ownership, making users feel like this is their home away from home and instilling a sense of pride in the quality of the forums, this will make Zoners want to donate and to help build and be apart of the site
    Any specifics as to how you think we could do that?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I believe as a Staff and community we can brainstorm and come up with creative ways to better market the Zone. We have the most complete and exclusive content of any Bills Fan Site on the web.

Clump’s cap page has been used by media outlets and given credit for, DraftBoy’s Draft guide is second to none on any website. We have the talent here and the content that is used by many.

I have spoken to DraftBoy about his starting a Draft Bloq that will not only have his information available to 1,000’s more but also direct them directly to the Zone.

I believe that my experience as a leader in organizing a team and working as part of a team, my compassion and heart for my fellow Zoner makes me the ideal candidate to listen and fight for their concerns and needs. Also, it allows me to intelligently present these ideas to the staff and gives me the ability to work as part of the team to come up with solutions to each and every Zoners concerns and needs.

Is your number one focus marketing the site and trying to gain new posters or to focus on the site now and make it better?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MBBedard
    What is your actual stance on Digg? Are you for it or against it?
    I personally dont care for the "Digg'ing" format, but it something that we could gauge the interest of Zoners and see how they feel it would be a preferred format. Then discuss with the staff to see what the advantages would be to this format.

The position of President is not to invoke your personal opinion about a topic upon the Zone, but rather be open to new ideas and guage the feasability of these ideas to improve the quality of the Zone.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MBBedard
    So are you for or against a "starter forum"?
    I really dont know what you mean by a "starter forum", but I have previously stated that we could use the capablities of Vbulletin to send a welcome PM that details each forum and the TOS to better educate our new members. Also, I would like to point out your proposal to deal with violators is exactly the same policy currently used by the staff.