Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHY PICK A WR in Round #1

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

WHY PICK A WR in Round #1

I know most of the people on here think that the BILLS will pick a WR in the 1st round. My question to you is shouldn't we get the BEST player available.

I know the BILLS need a #2 WR to go next to Lee. I know Malcomb Kelly, and Devin Thomas are good players but I think they are a reach at the 11 spot. Knowing JAURON is a DEFENSIVE minded coach do you see him passing over a PASS RUSHING DE in HARVEY!!! A CB like MIKE JENKINS, Leodis McKelvin, or maybe even a stud like KEITH RIVERS ( I think he will be gone anyway).

TO beat the PATRIOTS in this division we need to add some good talent in our secondary and our pass rush. IT will be so hard to pass up some DEFENSIVE guy that can help this team right away. IM not saying we shouldnt go offense but I think that should wait till the 2nd ROUND!!!!!!!!!! I think a guy like Early Doucet, or even Manningham will be there, don't be surprsied if 1 of the top WR slips as well I think it will be KELLY and his knee injuries.........

LATER!!!!
    GO Gators!!!!!!
    GO GATORS!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: WHY PICK A WR in Round #1

umm because we don't have any fricken good wr's????

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm so sick of the word reach. If a player successfully fills a need, and he wouldn't have been there at the team's next pick, it's not a reach. And that won't be known for years.
    Another reason why it's irrelevant now is because all it's based on is media mock drafts, and who gives a crap about that. They don't know what other teams will do.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,714 Times in 3,432 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm all for Caldwell in the second, but we may have to move up to lock it. He has a chance to be the best in this class.

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Philagape
    I'm so sick of the word reach. If a player successfully fills a need, and he wouldn't have been there at the team's next pick, it's not a reach. And that won't be known for years.
    Another reason why it's irrelevant now is because all it's based on is media mock drafts, and who gives a crap about that. They don't know what other teams will do.
    I agree. And there are no sure things in any draft, particularly when you're out of the top ten. I can't figure out why McKelvin, Jenkins and DRC are presumed to be locks, while Kelly and Thomas are reaches.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How do you deem something to be a reach? I can think of a few different ways. What do you think of when you say "reach"?

They would have been available much later?
    The career they go onto have?
    Where they are at in terms of BPA?
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

WHY is devin thomas or malcom kelly a reach?

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by patmoran2006
    Because the mock draft at www.wehaveourownsitesowe'reexperts.com had him going five spots later

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by patmoran2006
    That is basically what I am asking. I guess my wording was a little too wordy.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,922 Times in 5,311 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Devin Thomas is top 10 talent.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal
    Devin Thomas is top 10 talent.
    MAYBE he is like a few of u said you never know.

I think the people that know football and I have a friend that is a scout for the NFL has said there is not a WR that is worth a top 10....But probably in the top 20......He thinks the BILLS will go Defense but definitely could go WR if they feel WR will go fast...

I KNOW THE BILLS NEED A WR.........

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by tampabay25690
    I think the people that know football and I have a friend that is a scout for the NFL has said there is not a WR that is worth a top 10....But probably in the top 20
    Good thing we're No. 11

What the hell's the difference anyway? What NFL GM would say "We really like this guy and he fills a need, but we can't take him because the so-called experts say it's seven or eight spots too soon."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They are a reach because chances are we can trade up into the late first and still grab one of them.. This WR class is pretty deep and a good WR should be available with our pick in the 2nd round anyways, so why not take the best player available in the 1st? It wouldn't hurt to have a talented CB that could match up against Moss or a DE that could get inside Brady's head and rattle the young QB's in our division. ( I heard somebody else here say that awhile ago here and I'm not sure who said or I would have given you propers.. )

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloFever
    They are a reach because chances are we can trade up into the late first and still grab one of them.. This WR class is pretty deep and a good WR should be available with our pick in the 2nd round anyways, so why not take the best player available in the 1st? It wouldn't hurt to have a talented CB that could match up against Moss or a DE that could get inside Brady's head and rattle the young QB's in our division. ( I heard somebody else here say that awhile ago here and I'm not sure who said or I would have given you propers.. )
    Who says chances are we can trade? That's a pretty big variable; it depends on factors the Bills have no control over, like other teams' willingness to trade, other teams making trades, and what they want in exchange.
    Never assume what can happen who will be there later on. The Bills should draft according to their board only.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,668 Times in 17,515 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd feel a lot better about going BPA for the entire draft if the FO had done anything at all to address the WR position before we actually pick, but still won't be upset if we go CB, DE, maybe even DT if someone falls into our lap.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloFever
    GOOD POST...You understand football as well...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat
    I'd feel a lot better about going BPA for the entire draft if the FO had done anything at all to address the WR position before we actually pick, but still won't be upset if we go CB, DE, maybe even DT if someone falls into our lap.
    I agree with u as well.....You never know what will happen at all......

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat
    Could you imagine Ellis falling to us?

Who says chances are we can trade? That's a pretty big variable; it depends on factors the Bills have no control over, like other teams' willingness to trade, other teams making trades, and what they want in exchange.
    Never assume what can happen who will be there later on. The Bills should draft according to their board only.

I bet you a team like Minnesota would LOVE to add a guy like Harvey or Merling to their team, just speculation. (Btw, my old man exchanged that idea with me and I think that he may be on to something.. )

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I dont see the logic in thinking a second round WR will come in and take over the #2 role.

Josh Reed-second round
    Peerless Price-second round
    Roscoe Parrish-second round

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by venis2k1
    I dont see the logic in thinking a second round WR will come in and take over the #2 role.

Josh Reed-second round
    Peerless Price-second round
    Roscoe Parrish-second round