Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Miami Dolphins draft

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Miami Dolphins draft

i know. amazing draft for the dolphins. they might win 3 times the number of games from last year. 3 times improvement is nothing to laugh at....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi
    Oh I forgot about Wilford.

On the Miami website they still have Marty Booker on their depth chart.

Not the most intimidating corp you must admit. No one's afraid of any of these guys.
    I agree, I think Miami needs to imporve their skill positions, but first things first. We needed to address both lines. I think Miami can compete with what we have now, but I expect we'll make a decent showing next year in FA at the skill positions. Remember we also got Fasano from Dallas, he upgrades our TE position. That will help.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus
    i know. amazing draft for the dolphins. they might win 3 times the number of games from last year. 3 times improvement is nothing to laugh at....
    Well, that's an imporvement isn't it?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feelthepain
    I agree, I think Miami needs to imporve their skill positions, but first things first. We needed to address both lines. I think Miami can compete with what we have now, but I expect we'll make a decent showing next year in FA at the skill positions. Remember we also got Fasano from Dallas, he upgrades our TE position. That will help.
    How is Brown's knee?

I was a little surprised they traded Booker before Brown's knee got really pushed and saw contact, especially with Ricky being a risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    How is Brown's knee?

I was a little surprised they traded Booker before Brown's knee got really pushed and saw contact, especially with Ricky being a risk.
    He's well ahead of schedule. He started running an using his knee. They don't expect him to miss any camp. We're also being told Ronnie is in the best shape of his pofessional career. Needless to say, we're a little excited about that. As for Booker, in Miami's we had no place for him. He has no ST value, and was only a threat on third downs. Since we traded our 4th for Fasano and Adoyle we got the 4th back by trading Booker. We then drafted Shawn Murphy with the 4th we got back from Philly. So basically we traded a utility player for a possible starting RG cause that seems to be where the FO has him penciled in. From what we're hearing, Smiley will be the LG so we will have experience next to a rookie at both RG and LT with Carey and Smiley having the experience of course.

Registered Fish
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Answer
    Hate to say it but I agree with you - and I think he is better than Joe Thomas, but just not the #1 overall player in this draft and that's probably why they aren't that high on the pick.

~The Answer
    IMO, Jake Long had to be the pick. The Fins need to build up the OL. I wasn't interested in a DE that would have had to change positions (Chris Long), a DT that doesn't fit in a 3-4 (Dorsey), a DE that would have had to change positions and doesn't play hard every game (Gholston), or a QB, or a RB.

Jake Long was by far the safest pick. Now he just have to work out.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,476 Times in 7,093 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feelthepain
    He's well ahead of schedule. He started running an using his knee. They don't expect him to miss any camp. We're also being told Ronnie is in the best shape of his pofessional career. .

Is this from the same doctor that checked out Culpepper and Brees' injuries? If so, you should get a 2nd opinion from Everretts doctor.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,079 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan
    Is this from the same doctor that checked out Culpepper and Brees' injuries? If so, you should get a 2nd opinion from Everretts doctor.
    He said it himself that he's already been working on his cuts without a problem

And I dont think you should compare a huge spinal injury with a knee injury, they are totally different animals.

Hey FTP, who are your WRs after Ginn?
    I'm a little dissapointed that we didnt draft any WRS or DBs.
    But then again this was weak draft for Wideouts, hell none were selected in the first round. You guys got a nice catch with Hardy though.

I also thought we could have kept Lorenzo Booker, he's a good shifty RB with excellent hands.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
    Bill Parcells knows what he is doing. They had a great draft. Unfortunately for me they took two Wolverines that I must now dislike. Definitely took a nice step forward. Of course, if you have the first position in the draft you better not soil all over yourself.
    And 2 Wolverines who I have to like now

I can feel your anger.I can feel your hate. Give in to the DARK SIDE! With every neg you become MINE Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bling
    Anyone notice how good it was? They know where the games are won - on the lines. Merling, Hampton, Long are all going to be sick.
    Yes... Just like Lorenzo Booker was going to tear up the NFL like you predicted last year?

Here to point out the obvious....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Fins had a good draft. Parcells didn't waste anytime cleaning up the mess left by Saban and Cameron.

the EPITOMY of PATHETIC im4bflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

the FISH

SIR:Please keep this kind of stuff in the smack zone. There is no room for that in the NFL zone. Thank you. LtFF
    Last edited by LtFinFan66; 04-29-2008 at 01:50 AM.

Registered User TheGhostofJimKelly's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by LtFinFan66
    And 2 Wolverines who I have to like now
    Don't worry, I did the same with Donte Whitner and Ashton Youboty two years ago. LT, be honest though, you can't be to excited to get Chad Henne. I can tell you that when that one point of the game, I would say clutch, Henne rarely delivers. If he can overcome that in the NFL he could be a good QB, but I watched him for four years and in big games and big moments he failed. He has the talent to be a good one, it is just that clutch factor that would worry me.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
    Yes... Just like Lorenzo Booker was going to tear up the NFL like you predicted last year?
    I'm indifferent when it comes to Booker, but him getting traded was mainly because he wasn't going to fit in Miami alrgely because of his size. Granted if he was the guy that tore things up, he wouldn't have been traded

Too sober for this... mysticsoto's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Congrats to the fins for a good pick up in UDFA of Titus Brown - he will likely play OLB for them. He doesn't time well, but he's quicker than his time seems and he's got alot of raw talent...

Thanks
    Thanked 24,466 Times in 14,176 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I wrote this on Thephins.com

Miami
    1 (1) Jake Long OT Michigan
    This was the smart safe pick here at the #1 position. Some scouts and NFL people have talked about how Jake Long projects better as a RT then a LT. I say thats bologna, here you have a guy who allowed one total sack his entire career at Michigan yet you want to tell me he can't handle speed rushers? No Im not buying it. Jake Long will be a good LT for next decade for Miami protecting the QB's blindside, whoever that may be. He is absolutely dominating run blocker and should help clear the way for Ronnie Brown.

Grade: A

2 (32) Phillip Merling DE Clemson
    Wow, thats all I could say when I saw that the Miami Dolphins got Phillip Merling. I had him as the most complete DE in the draft and I sat there in utter bewilderment at how this happened. Merling is an amazing DE who can not only rush the passer well, he plays the run better. He will likely get a year or learning alongside Jason Taylor and that will only further help his game. Merling is athletic and a hard worker who never quits on a play.

Grade: A+

2 (57) Chad Henne QB Michigan
    Just missing out on nabbing Brian Brohm, you guys still manage to nab Chad Henne, who really impressed in the pre-draft season at the combine and in workouts. Henne has a good arm, nice mechanics and is a leader. His accuracy must improve and he is not as mobile as some of the other QB's. Henne must show that he is a durable player and that he can make the throw under pressure. Henne likely isnt ready to start this year and could really learn something from Josh McCown. Also he must beat out a very hungry John Beck who struggled as a rookie but is not one to give up so easily.

Grade: B

3 (66) Kendall Langford DE Hampton
    The small school product out of Hampton, Langford is a very good prospect who can play inside or out and has great size. Some compare him to a small school version of Adam Carriker. Either way Langford can both make plays in the backfield (24.5 Career Sacks, 56 Career TFL) or after the LOS (236 tackles in his career). One thing Langford must do is refine his technique, he needs to play at a lower level and he also needs to learn to play with leverage.

Grade: B+
    4 (110) Shawn Murphy OT Utah State
    An unheralded prospect coming out of Utah State, Shawn Murphy is a versatile player who can play the OG or OT position and has great size. He has a very good work ethic and does not stop playing until the whistle blows. Murphy is still pretty raw coming out of Utah St and he is an older prospect so there is some concern here about how quickly he can pickup the playbook and contribute, but Im rather confident in his natural abilities.

Grade: B-

6 (167) Jalen Parmele RB Toledo
    This was a pick I really just didn't understand from Miami. You have Ronnie Brown who is an incredible back with strength and quickness and maybe the one thing you look to add is a burner, but instead that add Parmele? Yea he was timed at 4.47 in the 40 but he doesnt play at that speed. He had a good combine but I think he's a workout warrior. Could he be more? Sure he could but I dont see it at this point in the draft.

Grade: C-
    6 (195) Donald Thomas OG Conneticut
    A very strong pick here as I really like Thomas out of Conneticut. I was surprised to see him fall this far. He has good athleticism and good size to be an OG in this league but the thing I like most about him was his footwork. It was very percise and very technical. Thomas only has 14 career starts so is he still very much a raw prospect and he does have the assault rap on his record so can he stay out of trouble? If he can keep his butt on the field and work on his game, he could be a dynamite player.

Grade: B

6 (205) Lex Hilliard RB Montana
    I like this pick a lot because I project Hilliard as FB on the next level. He is a good blocker and has the ability to carry the ball in any situation which presents Miami with a lot of options for him both rushing and receiving. He does come from a small school situation and will need to adjust but he could be the future FB for the Dolphins.

Grade: B+

7 (245) Lionel Dotson DT Arizona
    Dotson is just plain so for his relative lack of bulk, he really needs to work on his quickness or bulk up even further. Really came on as a Senior and had a great year. Has a good burst and can penetrate into the middle of the pocket. Need to build up his strength and conditioning since he has some durability issues.

Grade: C
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,855 Times in 3,504 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi
    I'll say by November Beck will be holding the clipboard for Henne.
    I say by September 7th, Beck will be holding the clipboard for McCown.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,855 Times in 3,504 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Parcells did all the right things in the draft. He knows that to build a contender, you need to start in the trenches. The Dolphins got a nice core to build on.