• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Re: Miami Dolphins draft

I'll say by November Beck will be holding the clipboard for Henne.

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

Merling is going to be a solid DE, but I don't expect him ever to be as good as Jason Taylor in his prime.
      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
        I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
        • May 2005

I definitely think Miami did good for themselves... of course picking in the spots they did and with as many picks as they had, it was hard not to. Parcells will definitely help get them turned around and I'm sure they'll improve by several games this year, but I think they'll still be last in the division.

Comment

• feelthepain
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
          I'll say by November Beck will be holding the clipboard for Henne.
          I think you're gonna find out real soon why Beck was drafted so high. I think Beck is the smartest QB we have, the hardest working and I don't think there's a player on our team that wants to win more then him. I think Miami has put themselves in a real good position with the addition of Henne to be able to get some great competition out of the QB psoition and at least find a strater that can have success in this league. I think we have a good chance of being a team with a "good problem" at the QB position. I also think the Oline imporvements will make a huge difference no matter who our QB is.

You have to understand what Beck was facing whan he started last year. He had to play the Stellers in Pittsburgh, the Eagles in Philadelphia and the Bills in Buffalo. All three games on the raod all three games in bad weather and all three games without the help of Ronnie Brown or Chris Chambers. The simle fact that he was a rookie was a big enough problem, but add the fact that Miami had so many injuries and the games John had to start his career off with. It's not hard to see why he struggled. Afterall the Dolphins had not even given him the practivce sanps till week 11 cause he had Green and Lemon in front of him.
          I'm just telling you what he faced in his first games as a pro.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Dick can't afford to snooze. I don't think the fins will take long to be competitive.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• feelthepain
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by TigerJ
              Merling is going to be a solid DE, but I don't expect him ever to be as good as Jason Taylor in his prime.
              He's probably going to stand up in Miami.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by feelthepain
                I think you're gonna find out real soon why Beck was drafted so high. I think Beck is the smartest QB we have, the hardest working and I don't think there's a player on our team that wants to win more then him. I think Miami has put themselves in a real good position with the addition of Henne to be able to get some great competition out of the QB psoition and at least find a strater that can have success in this league. I think we have a good chance of being a team with a "good problem" at the QB position. I also think the Oline imporvements will make a huge difference no matter who our QB is.

You have to understand what Beck was facing whan he started last year. He had to play the Stellers in Pittsburgh, the Eagles in Philadelphia and the Bills in Buffalo. All three games on the raod all three games in bad weather and all three games without the help of Ronnie Brown or Chris Chambers. The simle fact that he was a rookie was a big enough problem, but add the fact that Miami had so many injuries and the games John had to start his career off with. It's not hard to see why he struggled. Afterall the Dolphins had not even given him the practivce sanps till week 11 cause he had Green and Lemon in front of him.
                I'm just telling you what he faced in his first games as a pro.
                more excuses. Then again, you sound like the Trent fans here with the weather excuse.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• feelthepain
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                  can't knock their draft. It was a really good one.
                  Decent post.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

The Dolphins sure know how to party.

First Ginn with a twist of Lemon and now Henne(ssy).

Comment

• colin
                      Drew's my hero!
                      • Jul 2002

henne can compete with beck to see who can throw the worst ceptos.

long can fight for biggest bust status after getting lit up twice this year, and merling can be a slow plodding DE watching us run and pass all over him at will.

i like that draft!

Comment

• The Answer
                        The Plagiarist
                        • Mar 2007

Got to give the fish credit - this was a very good draft and Parcells track record speaks for itself especially with mid round picks.

Not sure if Long was the #1 overall player in the draft, but as long as he don't end up being another Mike Williams he will anchor the Fishs line for years to come. Henne is easily a better QB than Beck and has the upper hand in the QB battle since he's Parcells guy. Merling was a steal as well.

Way too early to tell who had the better draft, but I won't be a homer and say the Bills draft was better at this point, if anything we are even but we'll see in a few years. Seems Walterfootball was a bit harsh with some of the picks:

Miami Dolphins (Last Year: 1-15)

2008 NFL Draft Picks:

1. Jake Long, OT, Michigan
                        I don't like this pick. I don't think Jake Long can be a great left tackle in the NFL. He'll be a great run blocker, but as far as pass protection is concerned, he'll need a lot of work. I just don't see him making the impact Joe Thomas made for the Browns last year. (Pick Grade: C)

32. Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
                        Steal. There's no reason Phillip Merling should have made it past 21. When the Dolphins took him, I forgot he was still on the board. (Pick Grade: A)

57. Chad Henne, QB, Michigan
                        I don't like Chad Henne - he's way too inconsistent - but I thought he was good value at 57. He can't be any worse than John Beck, right? (Pick Grade: C)

66. Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton
                        Mike Maylock loves this pick, and so do I. Kendall Langford's probably the best five-technique available. (Pick Grade: A)

110. Shawn Murphy, G, Utah State
                        Nice. A seventh-round prospect in the fourth. Good job, Tuna. At least it's a position of need. (Pick Grade: D)

176. Jalen Parmele, RB, Toledo
                        I think I had this pick in my mock prior to the Akin Ayodele trade that saw Miami surrender its sixth-round pick. The Dolphins need depth at running back because Ronnie Brown's always injured and Ricky Williams is always high. (Pick Grade: A)

195. Donald Thomas, G, Connecticut
                        Steal. Donald Thomas was projected to go in the third round. I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas starts during the latter stages of the 2008 season. (Pick Grade: A)

204. Lex Hilliard, RB, Montana
                        More depth at running back is a must, but there are better options. (Pick Grade: C)

245. Lionel Dotson, DE, Arizona
                        Yet another defensive end for the Dolphins. Is Jason Taylor on the move? (Pick Grade: B)

~The Answer

Comment

• feelthepain
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

puhlease. Beck is gonna have to play in cold weather throughout his entire SHORT career holding clipboards.
                          Funny I didn't see Trent have a great cold weather start to his career. I also didn't see him do it without the help of Lynch or Evans. And he still threw more Int's then TD's. It's not like Edwards won ROY or made the probowl. So I can't imagine for the life of me how you have any room to talk about another teams QB and what they'll be based on last years numbers.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                            Too sober for this...
                            • Apr 2004

I knew Parcells would bring some stability to an otherwise insane FO. The Dolphins did a good job and had a pretty good draft. I didn't like the RBs they took, but other than that, it was pretty solid.

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by TigerJ
                              I really dont think you can compare Merling, Ellis and Taylor... Merling is going to be playing as a 5 technique which means he wont be freed up to go after QBs very often like Ellis and Taylor who play on the edge. Merling is a good DE im sure but I wonder how well he can transition to DE in a 3-4.

I actually think Kendall Langford will have a better career than Merling in this system.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                                Unreachable Douche
                                • Jul 2002

Dick can't afford to snooze. I don't think the fins will take long to be competitive.
                                Especially in the AFC East.

Comment

Working...
                                X