In an otherwise solid draft, I really wish we would have made a move for...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigGabes23
    • Mar 2006

In an otherwise solid draft, I really wish we would have made a move for...

I really like this kid, and think he was the best overall TE in the Draft. I would have Traded a 3rd and a fifth to move up in front of Dallas.

On the otherhand, with this draft and offseason, I think we now have one of the best defenses in the AFC.
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: In an otherwise solid draft, I really wish we would have made a move for...

what team took him instead?

Comment

• hydro
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by trapezeus
      what team took him instead?
      Dallas took Bennett in the second.
      BERNIAC!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Originally posted by BigGabes23
        I really like this kid, and think he was the best overall TE in the Draft.
        You and me both, and a whole bunch of other Zoners. Our failure to get an athletic, pass catching TE was a real disappointment to me. Derek Fine might be fine, but I don't think he'll be Bennett.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
          You and me both, and a whole bunch of other Zoners. Our failure to get an athletic, pass catching TE was a real disappointment to me. Derek Fine might be fine, but I don't think he'll be Bennett.
          Why did we let Gaines walk? Is Fine really an upgrade at 6' 3" and he can't block very well?

Comment

• alohabillsfan
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
            Why did we let Gaines walk? Is Fine really an upgrade at 6' 3" and he can't block very well?

Gaines was not a blocker, from what I have read Fine is an decent blocker.

Comment

• colin
              Drew's my hero!
              • Jul 2002

fine is a very good physical specimen, really stood out at the combine.

i think the bills just want a TE to play special teams, learn the position, and make the odd play. project TEs have a very high bust rate and we are better off IMO with the big wr and taking a 4th round flyer on fine.

Comment

• don137
                • Jul 2002

Hindsight is always 20/20. Who is to say Buffalo was not hoping to get him in the 3rd. Often time the guy you want gets taken before it there turn. Whose to say they did not try to trade up.
                Who am I to complain. They got the best DB in the league and addressed the WR position in a 'big' way.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                  Zero for Zero!
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                  Gaines got a 4 year, $10 million contract from Detroit.
                  Originally posted by mysticsoto
                  Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

if fine turned out to be cooley or a similar type player, would everyone be happy with that? cooley is not a down the field threat either.

im just wondering.
                    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• hydro
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      Wow I didn't know he got that much. Funny how every moans about not resigning him but if we would have signed him right away for that much everyone would be moaning anyway.
                      BERNIAC!

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
                        if fine turned out to be cooley or a similar type player, would everyone be happy with that? cooley is not a down the field threat either.

im just wondering.
                        My thoughts exactly Tatonka. "Stretch the field" means have a few guys who can get off the line fast, get deep, and thereby create a much larger area for the defensive secondary to cover. the goal is that by doing so there are holes in the coverage underneath.

I think Lee, Roscoe, and even Hardy (4.47) have ample speed to accomplish that, we don't necessarily need the TE to do it. What we need the TE to do is to be an intuitive receiver with soft hands that knows how to get open in the 5-15 yard range, to take advantage of the space created by Lee and Roscoe running 40 yard stretch plays downfield. We don't need a TE with blazing speed, just quick and smart enough to find space and catch the dmn ball.

I don't see any reason to dismiss Derek Fine's ability to be that guy for us at this point. Would I have liked to see a sexier pick like Bennett at TE? Absolutely. I'm not pumped up by the selection of Fine, but I'm not about to say he was a bad pick at this point. I think our first 3 picks addressed more critical needs, and the TE talent was thin by the time we got to the 4th.
                        Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Scumbag College
                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter

Detroit continues to baffle the mind.
                          Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

jaybird is a kansas fan i think and i am dying to know what he thinks of fine.

i am just wondering what the front office was trying to do. they may have very well said, we got hardy.. there is our big tall redzone threat.. we have teyo and anderson who are both very tall..

i would have loved an antonia gates.. so would everyone in the league.. just didnt happen, but we may have found a jay remersma.. which would be fine too.
                            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• The Spaz
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
                              jaybird is a kansas fan i think and i am dying to know what he thinks of fine.

i am just wondering what the front office was trying to do. they may have very well said, we got hardy.. there is our big tall redzone threat.. we have teyo and anderson who are both very tall..

i would have loved an antonia gates.. so would everyone in the league.. just didnt happen, but we may have found a jay remersma.. which would be fine too.
                              Think of this as well. 2 TE sets near the goal line with Teyo who is 6'6" Anderson 6'6" and Hardy who is 6'6"!

Comment

Working...
                              X