• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shelby
    The Vanilla admin
    • Jul 2002

DraftBoy's Draft Review

1. (11). Leodis McKelvin CB Troy
    The Buffalo Bills were the first team to go cornerback in the 2008 NFL Draft, and they went with the speedy corner from Troy. Last year, the Bills ranked 30th in Pass Defense, and obviously felt that a large part of that was due to less then spectacular coverage. What the Bills got was a pure corner who excels in coverage. McKelvin has good size and great speed for a cornerback. Combine that with his instincts to make plays, and you’ve got yourself a good pick. What makes this interesting, however, is the change in direction of Buffalo in defensive philosophy from years past. If we looked at how Buffalo was successful in pass defense over the past few years, we saw they did it by having tough physical corners (Antoine Winfield, and Nate Clements) who weren’t afraid to make tackles and be physical. That is not McKelvin’s game; he is very much a finesse player, who would rather turn and run with a guy then bump him at the line. That’s not a knock on him, as much as it is just a difference in playing style. One thing that the Bills will want to see McKelvin work on is his ball skills. He can get his hands on tons of passes, but the problem is that he doesn’t intercept them. So while defended passes are a good thing, Buffalo will want him to create turnovers. Aside from McKelvin’s cornerback ability, he also is an incredible return man who has speed, vision, and acceleration to be a threat on every return. Buffalo is already very solid at the return game; what McKelvin does is provide them with a guy who can do both KR and PR, and provides them with the option to do a reverse on a return, or to give McGee a KR off to rest. Overall, I had McKelvin as the #2 CB on my board behind Dominique Rodgers-Croamartie, and while I liked DRC better because of his size and speed, McKelvin plays an extremely similar game, and has a return element that DRC does not. The jump will be a big one for McKelvin into the NFL, but he should be a starter for the Bills.
    Grade: B+

2 (41). James Hardy WR Indiana
    In the second round, Buffalo knew it had to get some weapons for Trent Edwards to work with besides just Lee Evans. Ideally, that weapon would be tall, athletic, and draw attention. Enter 6’5 James Hardy, who runs the 40 in 4.51 seconds. Hardy has great athleticism and size for a WR, and really has a good solid frame to be a #1 WR in this league. Hardy has a knack for making the big acrobatic catch when needed, and was relied on heavily at Indiana, as he was their only real option. What Hardy brings to the Bills is a consistent weapon who has unlimited potential. However, don’t expect for Hardy to come in from Day 1 and be a dominant WR. He is still very raw, and needs to really refine his game. Also, the scouting report on Hardy says that if you can get in his face and be physical with him, he will struggle. Another thing Hardy must work on is a focus; at Indiana when he wasn’t getting the ball or the offense was struggling, he would get lazy and not run crisp routes. In college, his athletic ability made up for that, but in the pros, a lazy slant route will get the QB picked off, and he must be at his best at all times. Overall, James Hardy is exactly what Buffalo needed out of this draft WR wise. He’s a big target, who will work the whole field, and can go deep if needed. He has good speed, and the ability get the ball at its highest point. The character concerns that existed with Hardy prior to the draft seem to be alleviated, and Hardy has since matured.
    Grade: A

3 (72). Chris Ellis DE Virginia Tech
    Another reason for Buffalo’s poor pass defense this past season was a real lack of any kind of a pass rush. Anytime you have pro bowl DE Aaron Schobel held to only 6.5 sacks, you know your pass rush really suffered. So in Round 3, Buffalo decided to try and upgrade their pass rush by adding the athletic VT defensive end, Chris Ellis. Ellis is a high motor player with above average athleticism, who gets to the QB and wreaks havoc in the backfield, and was extremely productive in college. Ellis finished his college career with 22 sacks and 35.5 Tackles for loss. So the evidence is quite clear that Ellis was a good DE at Virginia Tech, but a problem still exists. Buffalo already has two defensive ends on the roster who are good pass rushers in Aaron Schobel and Chris Kelsay, and last year neither player end was extremely effective against the run. Ellis does not excel against the run, and there are concerns about how much of his production was based on athleticism, and how much was based on skills. Ellis must learn to develop some pass rush moves to get past NFL caliber OT’s, who will be able to neutralize his athleticism. He also needs to get stronger at the point of attack, and play with better leverage. Overall, Ellis should be a good situational pass rusher who could be a spot starter.
    Grade: B-
    More....

• John Doe
    Florida Man
    • Jul 2002

Re: DraftBoy's Draft Review

Originally posted by Draftboy
    4 (132). Derek Fine TE Kansas
    Buffalo had a glaring need for an athletic pass catching TE, and after the 132nd pick of the 2008 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills still have a glaring need for an athletic pass catching TE. Fine is an adequate pass catching TE, but he is not very athletic, and he’s not very good. Fine is an older player, having played 5 years of college ball, and was semi productive in a good Kansas offense this past season. His best game came against FIU, and in big time games he was basically non-existent. Fine needs to work on route running, athleticism, and blocking just to see the field next season. I don’t understand this pick from the Bills' perspective, and with players like Joey Haynos and Kellen Davis still on the board, I don’t see why they reach for Fine here. Whatever their reason, they now have added another TE who many would consider to be mediocre.
    Fine does not have great straight-line speed, but he seems plenty athletic from his other measurables:

"Following his last game at Kansas, which happened to be the Jayhawks’ Orange Bowl win over Virginia Tech in January, Fine traveled to Indianapolis in February to participate at the NFL’s scouting combine. There, Fine was first in the three-cone drill, second in the 20-yard shuttle, third in the 60-yard shuttle and tied for third in the bench press."

Fine was "semi-productive" last year?

46 catches for 396 yards and 4 TDs is not too shabby for a college tight end.

You may think that he is "not very good" but you will find a strong argument with Bills scout Brad Forsyth:

“Of the tight ends I did this year, he was the most complete tight end,” said Bills’ scout Brad Forsyth in a statement posted on the team’s official Web site. “He’s not a flashy guy, but he does everything very well. He’s an excellent blocker in the run game. He has a great feel for the zone blocking scheme there. He plays with leverage.

Plus, his leadership intangables are second to none of the other tight ends.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

was the Steve JOhnson pick an A- minus because of where he was drafted ?
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by John Doe
        Fine does not have great straight-line speed, but he seems plenty athletic from his other measurables:

Fine was "semi-productive" last year?

46 catches for 396 yards and 4 TDs is not too shabby for a college tight end.

You may think that he is "not very good" but you will find a strong argument with Bills scout Brad Forsyth:

http://www.swtimes.com/articles/2008...s/sports02.txt

Fine is not very athletic and straight line speed is not the only attribute into that category especially for a TE. Even then he a ran 4.83 40, which isnt very good speed wise.

Not too shabby but its not blow you away numbers either. Fine was the 4th leading receiver on his team. The Kansas offense produced 6296 total yards this year and 66 TD's of that Fine was responsible for 6.2% and 6.1% of the TD's. In the passing game alone he was responsible for 10.5% of the yards, and 11.1% of the TD's. Im sorry thats not being very productive, if you're not even a tenth of your teams total offensive output.

As for what Brad Forsyth says, I strongly disagree. Fine is far from a complete TE, he is a bad blocker and I really question his evaluation in regards to Derek Fine. I understand him defending the pick but I dont think his evaluation is accurate. Am I claiming to know more than an NFL scout? Certainly not, but I think on this one that they got it wrong, simple as that.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
          was the Steve JOhnson pick an A- minus because of where he was drafted ?
          Production + Potential + Draft Position
          COMING SOON...

Comment

• The Spaz
            • Mar 2003

Nice opinion piece.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
              Nice opinion piece.
              As every original article is on this site.
              COMING SOON...

Comment

• Marvelous
                • Feb 2004

Didn't Fine finish TOP-3 in THREE agility drills in the scouting combine in Indianapolis? I read that last night while checking out TwoBillsdrive.com.. I am gonna re-watch the combine. Yeah i DVRed it
                -- I was hoping Draftboy noticed that before he wrote his review/grades.. Ot atleast took it into consideration...
                Thanks for the work D-boy..
                GO BILLS!!! NE
                Magical Trevor

Comment

• John Doe
                  Florida Man
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                  Fine is not very athletic and straight line speed is not the only attribute into that category especially for a TE. Even then he a ran 4.83 40, which isnt very good speed wise.

Not too shabby but its not blow you away numbers either. Fine was the 4th leading receiver on his team. The Kansas offense produced 6296 total yards this year and 66 TD's of that Fine was responsible for 6.2% and 6.1% of the TD's. In the passing game alone he was responsible for 10.5% of the yards, and 11.1% of the TD's. Im sorry thats not being very productive, if you're not even a tenth of your teams total offensive output.

As for what Brad Forsyth says, I strongly disagree. Fine is far from a complete TE, he is a bad blocker and I really question his evaluation in regards to Derek Fine. I understand him defending the pick but I dont think his evaluation is accurate. Am I claiming to know more than an NFL scout? Certainly not, but I think on this one that they got it wrong, simple as that.
                  You did nothing to address his outstanding showing at the combine outside of his straight-line speed. Give us some more reasons as to why he is not very athletic.

I can understand you reasoning about his productivity, but 46 catches for a college tight end is pretty good no matter what the offense racks up.

As far as Forsyth's analysis is concerned, maybe he got it right. It is entirely possible.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Marvelous
                    Didn't Fine finish TOP-3 in THREE agility drills in the scouting combine in Indianapolis? I read that last night while checking out TwoBillsdrive.com.. I am gonna re-watch the combine. Yeah i DVRed it
                    -- I was hoping Draftboy noticed that before he wrote his review/grades.. Ot atleast took it into consideration...
                    Thanks for the work D-boy..
                    Dont have the results in front of me, but Ill check out my DVD of the combine when I get home from work. Still wont change the assessment. Simple straight line speed, agility tests do not always translate to on the field play. Fine has not exhibited that in my opinion.
                    COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by John Doe
                      You did nothing to address his outstanding showing at the combine outside of his straight-line speed. Give us some more reasons as to why he is not very athletic.

I can understand you reasoning about his productivity, but 46 catches for a college tight end is pretty good no matter what the offense racks up.

As far as Forsyth's analysis is concerned, maybe he got it right. It is entirely possible.
                      The combine is the combine, there is a reason why some GM's say that we should get rid of it and many people talk on and on about how overrated it is. I dont use that as a major grading tool, its good to use a measuring stick, but games tell me a lot more.

His production numbers aren't impressive to me, its as simple as that for my analysis. He was in an ideal system to put up huge numbers and was unable to.

Of course he could be right and neither of us could be. Its a 50/50 shot at this point.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• John Doe
                        Florida Man
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        The combine is the combine, there is a reason why some GM's say that we should get rid of it and many people talk on and on about how overrated it is. I dont use that as a major grading tool, its good to use a measuring stick, but games tell me a lot more.

His production numbers aren't impressive to me, its as simple as that for my analysis. He was in an ideal system to put up huge numbers and was unable to.

Of course he could be right and neither of us could be. Its a 50/50 shot at this point.
                        You still have not offered anything to substantiate your claim that Fine is a poor athlete outside of his straight line speed.

And, sometimes it is not easy to put up big numbers when everyone else around you is doing just that.

Comment

• Marvelous
                          • Feb 2004

Draftboy. the combine may be overrated but is a fact that you can see the kids do drills without the pads. Now that kills some rookies value like Dan Connor because he has that Zach Thomas holming becon, & the combine makes him look very mediocre, but it also does show how fastthe kid can turn...
                          ---Re-watch it bro & see if you notice anything to maybe change the grade some. ---I'm surprised you didn't onclude that into your evaluations bro... What do you use for your evaluations that differ from what the average diehard fan like myslef uses(no sarcasm)?

You still have not offered anything to substantiate your claim that Fine is a poor athlete outside of his straight line speed.
                          --I was shocked at his claim to Fine's lack of agility because it's teh oposite of what was said about him.. Maybe they we're wrong though.
                          GO BILLS!!! NE
                          Magical Trevor

Comment

• Elminster
                            #1 Kelsay Fan
                            • Oct 2006

I agree with you DB, Good analysis. I was extremely disappointed by our apparent disregard for offensive line depth. When I'm worried about the chaos that will ensue should Fowler get hurt, you know the depth is less than reassuring. God forbid we lose one of our good linemen....or Peters. We'd be screwed.
                            Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                              Defies all logic
                              • Oct 2006

Wow, I'm really surprised, DB. You wanted us to take DRC over McKelvin? *gasps*

Comment

Working...
                              X