X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

Pasquarelli: Bills looking hard at CB, will be difficult to keep Winfield

The conventional wisdom has the Buffalo Bills choosing a defensive lineman, preferably an end, with their first-round draft choice. But the club is also looking hard at the cornerback spot. Always cognizant of what is upcoming for his team, general manager Tom Donahoe knows that current starting corner Antoine Winfield is eligible for unrestricted free agency after the 2003 campaign. And the feeling on the part of some Bills officials is that Winfield, given the spiraling rate of cornerback contracts, could be difficult to retain. Thus the interest in perhaps adding a quality corner in the draft and, quite possibly, even in the first round.
    I really want Winfield to stay but this would be very similair to the tactic TD used when he drafted Josh Read. Thus I wouldn't be suprised if this happened.

Could someone name the CBs that are projected for the first 2 rounds?
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

I'm hoping that they get Antoine an extension soon but according to Shout! Newspaper, these are the projected 1st and 2nd rounders at CB
    Terance Newman, Kansas St
    Marcus Trufant, Washington St
    Andre Woolfork, Oklahoma
    Eugene Wilson, Illinois
    Dennis Weathersby, Oregon St
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Schobel94
      The Sack Master
      • Jan 2003

C'mon, he's never made the probowl, and he's never had a spectacular season, how much could he want? I say keep him at any cost. It's not like with Price where we already have a probowl reciever. Winfields the best we got, he's like Moulds, we need him.
      Beware the sack master!

Comment

• venis2k1
        Youboty can hope
        • Jul 2002

Clements is better than Winfeild IMO, but none the less...IF Winfeild gets signed to an extention dont expect it to happen before the draft...You never know who is gonna be on the board when our pick comes around.

Comment

• Schobel94
          The Sack Master
          • Jan 2003

I dont know if Clements is better than Winfield. Winfield's pretty good. Regardless, we really really need to keep him. Geeze, everytime there's a FA he seems to just want to leave, don't let him get away TD! We have good cap space and he's the only major FA next year! I trust TD, he's a great GM.
          Beware the sack master!

Comment

• The Natrix
            • Jul 2002

He does not deserve a huge contract. If TD's offer isn't good enough, I say don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Clements is more valuable to this team.

Drafting a CB #1 or #2 is a great idea.

Byrd.

Comment

• Romes
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Schobel94
              Regardless, we really really need to keep him.
              Thats just the thing. We draft a CB early so we don't need to keep him next year. Don't get me wrong I want him back too. But if he is gonna ask for to much money we need to protect ourselves.
              RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• The Natrix
                • Jul 2002

At this point, they are about equal. However, that says a lot about Clements since he has only been in the league for two years.

Byrd.

Comment

• The Natrix
                  • Jul 2002

Exactly Romes we don't NEED to re-sign him. I think this franchise has some great talent evaluators and I would be pretty confident that a #1 CB pick or even a #2 would pan out. The Rookie contract would obviously be less than Winfields new one so the money could be spent elsewhere, maybe a star DE or FS. Besides, with how great Clements will be after this season, just an average CB opposite Nate will do.

Byrd.

Comment

• casdhf
                    • Jul 2002

We still have a franchise tag don't we?
                    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Schobel94
                      The Sack Master
                      • Jan 2003

So everytime someone's contract is up just draft a new person to take his place? We have other needs, I dont think we should draft a CB in the first couple rounds. Keep Winfield!
                      Beware the sack master!

Comment

• Stewie
                        Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                        • Aug 2002

Who else comes up for FA CB next year?

If he's near the top of the class he's gone.. Look at what Detroit paid Dre Bly.

If there's any other good db's that come up.. maybe guys that get more picks, his price will come down a bit and we can keep him
                        Originally posted by Topdog
                        Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                        Originally posted by mercyrule
                        I love Weiner.
                        Originally posted by mercyrule
                        also cheese

Comment

• Romes
                          • Jul 2002

Yes Cas, we still have the franchise tag.

Originally posted by Schobel94
                          So everytime someone's contract is up just draft a new person to take his place? We have other needs, I dont think we should draft a CB in the first couple rounds. Keep Winfield!
                          No, we don't draft someone that can take his place we draft someone that can fill that role in case he leaves. If he doesn't go, great then we have 3 good/great CB. The great thing about TD is he just doesn't look at what our needs are this year but what our needs will be next year, that is genious.

Schobel you must remember Winfield will be unrestricted that means unless we tag him, he can choose where ever he wants to play. You act as if we can garuantee that he will be back next year. Well, that is not the case, insurance is a good thing my friend.
                          RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Schobel94
                            The Sack Master
                            • Jan 2003

We have CB's out the yinyang, good young ones too that might develop very well. Keep Winfield!
                            Beware the sack master!

Comment

• Dozerdog
                              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

One other thing as well-

Everyone gets juiced because we can afford guys like Spikes, Adams, Gash, you name it.

The Bills can afford to do this because if you look at the starters on this team, only Moulds, Teague, Reuben Brown, Spikes, and Fletcher are getting paid Market or above market- price.

Bledsoe is a steal at 5 Million a season (that's what RJ and Fiedler were making) and your best players (Henry,Reed, Winfield, Clements, Jennings, Schoebel, Wire ) are all making rookie contract wages- under $1 million.

So, when a Peerless Price comes along, and you know he will get a good buck the following season, you can draft his replacement and groom him (Reed) and not only free up the money you were going to pay him, but get something in return.

There is no way the Bills will be able to retain all of the players mentioned above, especially if they continue to improve or if we go to the Super Bowl . Now is the time to plan ahead.

Comment

Working...
                              X