Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: Favre traded to Jets

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Favre traded to Jets

We pounded Green Bay at the Ralph 3 years back, when Lord Favre was in his prime and we sucked.

Now a soon to be 39 year old QB is going to a bad team late and some believe he will carry them all by himself.

You've got to be kidding me. He's going to throw a ton of INT's and kill this team.

The Jets will get a lot of attention for a 5-11 team. I can't wait to play them.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I will get to see Favre live in his first regular season game as a Jet

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This sucks. A lot.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    And you definetly lead the Zone in Favre threads started......
    And in a related story, Pat's head has left is shoulders and entered near space.

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dujek
    Yep. Favre has had one good year in the last 4, he's almost as statuesque as Bledsoe was with the Bills, and he still has an uncanny knack of picking out DBs when the pressure is on. He's an upgrade for the Jets, but not enough to make any difference in the games with the Bills or Patriots.
    Did you just mention the Bills and Patriots in the same sentence. talking about not enough to make any difference? YOu meant the Pats and Chargers right? Or the Pats and COlts? Or the Pats and Jags? You didn't just say the Pats and Bills, did you?

Dude. Bottom line.. We've been above .500 like what, once this decade? We were 7-9 last year.. That doesnt mean we wont be good this year; that means that the Bills haven't PROVEN ****, so how you can say a team that just upgraded big time at QB wont make any difference against us is totally mind boggling.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I mentioned them in the same sentence because the last time I looked they were still the two best teams in the division, and that's got to be the first comparison you make when a player lands at a team.

Both the Bills and the Patriots will beat down the Jets this year. It doesn't mean that I think the Bills are as good as the Patriots, it's just that I think that the Jets, even with Favre, suck that hard. Obviously the Chargers and Jags will dominate the Jets as well, but by mentioning the Bills I kinda made it obvious that that would be the case.

Still don't see 2008 Brett Favre as being a big upgrade for anyone. Dude's old, slow and keeps throwing picks.

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm glad the Favre saga is over, and I'm glad he landed with the Jets, where we can pound his 39 year old body and take advantage of his diminishing skills twice a year.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Man, this place cracks me up sometimes.

We add a rookie WR to the 30th ranked offense in the NFL and everyone thinks we've improved through "experience" The Jets replace Chad Pennington with Brett Favre but everyone thinks they didn't get better.

Please.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Adding Favre in April is an improvement.

In August? It is unknown.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,272 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Over reaction

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    Man, this place cracks me up sometimes.

We add a rookie WR to the 30th ranked offense in the NFL and everyone thinks we've improved through "experience" The Jets replace Chad Pennington with Brett Favre but everyone thinks they didn't get better.

Please.
    you can always tell the credible football people by whom has the ability to give credit to another team besides the Bills.

If anyone thinks the Jets arent better today than they were yesterday; they're full of ****.

And as far as other offseason moves, here's a newsflash; the Bills arent the only team who got better personnel. I find it hard to believe there's a Bills guy on here who wouldnt take Faneca over Butler or Dockery.

The Jets are a good team again; they sucked last year; they were a playoff team the year before that. If nothing else, they're playoff contenders

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think a lot of people fail to realize that football players are not like fine wine - they don't get better with age.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He certainly is an upgrade OP. Can he at 38 completely turn them around from 4-12? I HOPE NOT!!! I can see two completely different scenarios in my mind here. In 1 the Jets and Favre turn into a powerhouse with complete media coverage at all times or 2 Favre looks like **** and everyone talks about how Favre Completely tarnished his image.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Reimers
    I think a lot of people fail to realize that football players are not like fine wine - they don't get better with age.
    Favre is not what he once was- no one is debating that.

But I'd take a 39 year old Favre over a 29 year old Pennington any day.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Pennington is 32

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by THATHURMANATOR
    He certainly is an upgrade OP. Can he at 38 completely turn them around from 4-12? I HOPE NOT!!! I can see two completely different scenarios in my mind here. In 1 the Jets and Favre turn into a powerhouse with complete media coverage at all times or 2 Favre looks like **** and everyone talks about how Favre Completely tarnished his image.
    I seriously doubt that they'll go from 4-12 to 12-4 and competing with the Pats for the division title.

However, Favre wasn't their only upgrade and they have a good OL (on paper at least). If I remember correctly, they added a few people to their D as well.

Before Favre, they were a 6-7 win team. If Favre gets them even 2 wins, that puts them at 8-9 and in the playoff hunt.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by THATHURMANATOR
    Pennington is 32
    I'd take a 39 year old Favre over a 25 year old Pennington and I'd definitely take a 39 year old Favre over a 32 year old Pennington.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by patmoran2006
    you can always tell the credible football people by whom has the ability to give credit to another team besides the Bills.

If anyone thinks the Jets arent better today than they were yesterday; they're full of ****.

And as far as other offseason moves, here's a newsflash; the Bills arent the only team who got better personnel. I find it hard to believe there's a Bills guy on here who wouldnt take Faneca over Butler or Dockery.

The Jets are a good team again; they sucked last year; they were a playoff team the year before that. If nothing else, they're playoff contenders
    Yes, because there are no reasons to wonder if this will help the Jets as much as some think.

Vic Carucci, one of the better journalists out there, questions whether it will help or not too. I guess he is not credible. people can credit other teams, but not necessarily think this move is a magic cure all.

Again, getting a player like Favre in August is not as nearly helpful as getting him in April or May.

He has never played in the style of offense the Jets use. Will he be productive as a short passing game, ball control guy? Will he be able to adjust to Coles and Cotchery and not have Driver and Jennings to use? Will the Jets tackles give him enought time (Obviously the middle of the line is very solid). Will Favre play like the Favre of 2007 or the Favre of 2006? How will the Jets players react to the pending release of the very popular Chad Pennington? Will Favre work with the coaches and not try to do too much himself?

Is Favre a better QB than Penington? Yes. No doubt. Does that translate into a better team? There are legitimate questions in that regard.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by patmoran2006

Faneca's pass blocking was woeful last year. His run blocking was as great as always, but he was personally responsible for 7 sacks last year, and he's not getting any younger or faster.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Reimers
    lol.. Did Favre suck last year?

Going by your logic, is Stroud's best days long behind him? He's 30 years old, and 8 years into the league, a lot for a DT.