Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: Favre traded to Jets

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Favre traded to Jets

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    I seriously doubt that they'll go from 4-12 to 12-4 and competing with the Pats for the division title.

However, Favre wasn't their only upgrade and they have a good OL (on paper at least). If I remember correctly, they added a few people to their D as well.

Before Favre, they were a 6-7 win team. If Favre gets them even 2 wins, that puts them at 8-9 and in the playoff hunt.
    Yeah I am with you! I can't wait to get the Traitor chants starting when he comes to the Ralph!

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

People can say what they want, but Romes said it best in this thread. He said the Bills road to the playoffs “just got tougher”

Doesn’t mean the Bills wont make the playoffs, doesn’t mean we won’t sweep the jets. It means what it means. Favre combined with the other moves the Jets made and some of the solid young talent they have, put them right into the playoff mix.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by patmoran2006
    lol.. Did Favre suck last year?

Going by your logic, is Stroud's best days long behind him? He's 30 years old, and 8 years into the league, a lot for a DT.
    Stroud's best days are behind him, but he's still better than what we had there to start with.

No-one's saying the Jets won't be better with Favre, but he isn't going to turn a terrible team into a playoff team. He's good for an extra couple of wins for them, that's all.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,384 Times in 13,776 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter

Is Favre a better QB than Penington? Yes. No doubt. Does that translate into a better team? There are legitimate questions in that regard.
    There are legitimate questions with the Bills offense. Will the OL be able to run block? Will Edwards improve? Will Hardy be able to take pressure off of Evans? Will the other young guys improve? Will Schonert be a good OC? Will any of our TE's finally step up?

So, since both teams are facing legitimate questions, how can you say that the Bills O is improved but it remains to be seen if the Jets O is improved?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dujek
    Stroud's best days are behind him, but he's still better than what we had there to start with.

No-one's saying the Jets won't be better with Favre, but he isn't going to turn a terrible team into a playoff team. He's good for an extra couple of wins for them, that's all.
    Thank you.. The Jets are better with Favre than Pennington. that's all the majority of people are trying to say.

Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls Bill Brasky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBillsStampede
    I am honestly not that worried. We may now have a split with the Jets, but really they aren't that good. D'Brick sucks, and they spent a lot of money on some average players like Calvin Pace. Kris Jenkins doesn't worry me much at all to be honest because he will be hurt pretty quickly or not trying. Their recievers aren't better than our corners and safties. Our new DL and LB are pretty damn good from what I have seen at camp. Stroud will tee off on him as will Schobel. I still say we win 10 games and make the playoffs.
    jets fans could echo the same about the bills

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by shelby
    Bucs fans aren't happy with this, i'm sure.

Do we still count on a sweep of the Jest this season?
    Oh yeah. Favre melts under extreme pressure.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I seriously doubt that they'll go from 4-12 to 12-4 and competing with the Pats for the division title.

However, Favre wasn't their only upgrade and they have a good OL (on paper at least). If I remember correctly, they added a few people to their D as well.

Before Favre, they were a 6-7 win team. If Favre gets them even 2 wins, that puts them at 8-9 and in the playoff hunt.
    In 2005 the Jets finished 4-12. In 2006, just one year later, they went 10-6 and made the playoffs. It can happen again.

Of course, they can also go 4-12 again. But they're a better team with Favre than Pennington that's for damn sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

People can say what they want, but Romes said it best in this thread. He said the Bills road to the playoffs “just got tougher”

Doesn’t mean the Bills wont make the playoffs, doesn’t mean we won’t sweep the jets. It means what it means. Favre combined with the other moves the Jets made and some of the solid young talent they have, put them right into the playoff mix.
    Ok great...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thank you.. The Jets are better with Favre than Pennington. that's all the majority of people are trying to say.
    No-one is saying they aren't. They are merely pointing out that he mightn't be as big an improvement as you and a few others seem to think.

To be honest anyone who can throw the ball past the down marker is an improvement over Pennington.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,692 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There are legitimate questions with the Bills offense. Will the OL be able to run block? Will Edwards improve? Will Hardy be able to take pressure off of Evans? Will the other young guys improve? Will Schonert be a good OC? Will any of our TE's finally step up?

So, since both teams are facing legitimate questions, how can you say that the Bills O is improved but it remains to be seen if the Jets O is improved?
    The two situations are not identical and you are (again - it is a skill you have) are twisting my words. Based on their totality of moves the Jets offense should be better.

My question is how much Favre alone makes them. Not to mention the Favre move took place in November, not March, April or May. That makes a huge difference, as taking a QB who is 39 and telling him to learn a new offense scheme and new players is not as easy as it sounds.

I have never said there are not questions with the Bills offense, Of course there are. Anybody can see that.

And what about you? Why do you rant off about other teams moves are magical and the Bills moves this made them a worse team?
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by njsue
    Oh yeah. Favre melts under extreme pressure.

Like the day after his dad died? Or in the Super Bowl?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Like the day after his dad died? Or in the Super Bowl?
    No like his days under Mike Sherman. Brett Farve is toast as a member of Gangreen. The Packers did him an injustice.

Plus the Jets o line is still in ? even though they stole the Steelers center Alan Faneca. Dbrickashaw Fergeson gets beat. Brett will be running for his life.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I agree....on paper. It remains to be seen how Favre will adjust to the new team, system, spotlight of NYC. But on paper we can't now just hope our offense gets a TD at some point in the game. Trent will have to be the real deal for us to beat the Jets now. With Pennington the Jauron approach of winning the game 10-7 was possible. This will no longer work and we will actually have to score at least 2 TD's to beat the Jersey Jets now.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,384 Times in 13,776 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The two situations are not identical and you are (again - it is a skill you have) are twisting my words. Based on their totality of moves the Jets offense should be better.

My question is how much Favre alone makes them. Not to mention the Favre move took place in November, not March, April or May. That makes a huge difference, as taking a QB who is 39 and telling him to learn a new offense scheme and new players is not as easy as it sounds.

I have never said there are not questions with the Bills offense, Of course there are. Anybody can see that.

And what about you? Why do you rant off about other teams moves are magical and the Bills moves this made them a worse team?
    I never said the Bills were worse. I said the D was better and the O was the same. And I never said the Jets moves were "magical"- I said Favre will get them 2 extra wins which could put them in the playoff race. Don't accuse others of twisting words when you're doing it yourself.

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We all agree that Brett Favre has been a much, much better QB than Chad Pennington. But Favre will turn 39 during the season, and is taking over an offense that was built around a guy who couldn't throw the ball more than 20 yards.

How well he'll do and how much the team will improve is totally unknown at this point.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Everything I post is sexual inuendo ddaryl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think the Jets are a better team with Farve this year, but he won't be a difference maker. In which I mean he won't propel the Jets into a playoff team IMO...

The emotion he'll bring to the team will serve the team well in early games, but like many have said, Farve can make a ton of mistakes, and with an unfamiliar team and playbook etc... those mistakes can get magnified.
    Last edited by ddaryl; 08-07-2008 at 09:11 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Reimers
    I think a lot of people fail to realize that football players are not like fine wine - they don't get better with age.
    I want you to remeber this quote the next time you start talking about players growing from year to year, like Edwards or Butler. Just saying its contradictory to others things you've said in the past.
    COMING SOON...
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I never said the Bills were worse. I said the D was better and the O was the same. And I never said the Jets moves were "magical"- I said Favre will get them 2 extra wins which could put them in the playoff race. Don't accuse others of twisting words when you're doing it yourself.
    You said they would have the same record (7-9) as last year.

You also admitted that the schedule (in theory) is easier than last year.

So if a team has the same record two years in a row and the 2nd year has an easier schedule, how are they not worse the 2nd year?

And that does not even get into the 17 injuries they had last year.

You also have said the Jets moves make them a playoff contender, which would require 11 wins (you also told me 10 wins would not be enough for the Bills). How is a 2 win improvement good enough for them to be a playoff contender but a three win improvement not enough for the Bills?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You said they would have the same record (7-9) as last year.

You also admitted that the schedule (in theory) is easier than last year.

So if a team has the same record two years in a row and the 2nd year has an easier schedule, how are they not worse the 2nd year?

And that does not even get into the 17 injuries they had last year.
    They dont get Peters they'll be lucky to win 7 games