Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: Favre traded to Jets

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Favre traded to Jets

Observations:
    1. Brett Favre at 37 or however old he is, is better than Pennington or whoever.

2. Favre's effectiveness this season will depend at least in part on how similar or different the Jets' offensive system is from what Favre was accustommed to in Green Bay, and his supporting cast. That said, the Jets spent a lot of money to have a good offensive line, and they have at least decent skill people around Favre. And since Pennington has no arm, their system is probably not too different from the West Coast system that was the base out of which Favre operated at Green Bay. About the only question that remains concerns terminology. If Favre has to learn all new terminology, it will slow him down some, since his old Wonderlic scores suggest that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. That's not to say he isn't one of the greatest natural talents ever to play the game at QB.

All in all, this probably elevates the Jets to a contender for second place in the division and makes Buffalo's job a lot tougher. But by no means is it impossible, and I don't expect Buffalo to lay down and die because of it.

Go Bills!
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah.. Bret Favre is all washed up and old. Just like Jerry Rice was when he went to the Raiders at the age of 39 (what a coincidence). All Rice did at 39 for the Raiders in his first year was catch 83 balls for 1139 yards and 9 TD. Oh, the next year he caught 92 for 1211 and helped the Raiders get to the Super Bowl.

When you’re great, you’re great. Favre will do a good job for the Jets.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I will tell you what the only variable is how fast will he learn this offense...

Not "Can he run it"

He was one play away from the SB.

He will improve that team.

Anyhow we dont look at stats here...they are inconvenient.

\
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    I wouldn't call the two seasons prior to last year great.

2006 3,885 YDS 18 TD's 18 INT's

2005 3,881 YDS 20 TD's 29 INT's

Last year Favre was great. He had a nice groupe of WR's and a really solid running game. I don't know what to make of this whole thing. I guess it depends on which Favre the Jets get. Is he going to be the Favre of last year, or is he going to revert to the Favre of the two seasons prior?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by patmoran2006
    Yeah.. Bret Favre is all washed up and old. Just like Jerry Rice was when he went to the Raiders at the age of 39 (what a coincidence). All Rice did at 39 for the Raiders in his first year was catch 83 balls for 1139 yards and 9 TD. Oh, the next year he caught 92 for 1211 and helped the Raiders get to the Super Bowl.

We couldof had him Pat....what say you!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,694 Times in 8,478 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by patmoran2006

There are examples of players crapping the bed too.

He also went to the Raiders before TC started remember. The fact it is not April and is August is being over looked by people that should realize it is not insignificant.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

jesus christ patmoran which building are you gonna jump off? farve makes the jets better maybe in week 6 not september. and it doesn't make us long shots. dude u need to chill the hell our

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Guys Favre will probably be good for a Jets. We should be focusing on ways to beat him not lick his balls or say he won't be good.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    There are examples of players crapping the bed too.

He also went to the Raiders before TC started remember. The fact it is not April and is August is being over looked by people that should realize it is not insignificant.
    I'd put my money on Favre having a solid year than the type of year he had two years ago. He has some weapons on that offense. Jones, Cotchery, Coles, the kid from Perdue. In addition to that the offensive line has been revamped. I think this is a ballsy move by the Jets, you have to give them a ton of credit considering this could cost them as little as a 4th round pick if it doesn't work out.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There is no doubt the Jets are a better team today then they were yesterday however I truly do not think the jump they make will be that much.
    Yes, Brett has the ability to win games but with his aggressive style he has the ability to lose some games for them as well. Throw in the fact he will not have a chemistry with his receivers for some time, his lack of knowing the playbook combined with his aggressive gunslinging mentailty I think he will throw a lot of interceptions this year and I do not think the difference will very dramatic.
    The Jets get someone that will make the highlight reel a lot more than Pennington, both good and bad.

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy
    I want you to remeber this quote the next time you start talking about players growing from year to year, like Edwards or Butler. Just saying its contradictory to others things you've said in the past.
    I know on here I should be much more precise in what I say. I have said in the past that players often improve significantly in their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years, including Edwards, Lynch, Butler, Whitner, Simpson, Poz, McCargo, etc. I was referring to young, relatively inexperienced players making big jumps early in their careers.

Brett Favre is going on 39, and entering his 18th (?) season. He does not at all fit the model I was talking about, and you know it.

But feel free to take a cheap shot anytime.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by historypete
    I think this is a ballsy move by the Jets, you have to give them a ton of credit considering this could cost them as little as a 4th round pick if it doesn't work out.
    I think it is a ballsy move but it will cost them more then a 4th round pick. There are salary cap repercussions from this as well. The Jets were close to the salary cap and now will have to re-do contracts and cut players to make everything work. By re-doing some contracts it can really come back to hurt them down the road because they will not have as much money to re-sign some of their own players.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Reimers
    I know on here I should be much more precise in what I say. I have said in the past that players often improve significantly in their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years, including Edwards, Lynch, Butler, Whitner, Simpson, Poz, McCargo, etc. I was referring to young, relatively inexperienced players making big jumps early in their careers.

Brett Favre is going on 39, and entering his 18th (?) season. He does not at all fit the model I was talking about, and you know it.

But feel free to take a cheap shot anytime.
    Awwww....not my fault you don't qualify your own statements. This is what I get paid to do, so its more of a natural thing now than anything else. Great skill though to have.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You shouldn't have had to qualify your statement Jan it is football talk. It was obvious to anyone that your aging scenario was talking about players in the twilight and not in their introductory phases of their careers.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by THATHURMANATOR
    You shouldn't have had to qualify your statement Jan it is football talk. It was obvious to anyone that your aging scenario was talking about players in the twilight and not in their introductory phases of their careers.
    So football topic can be void of reason, logic, parameters, and filled with assumptions...well this board makes a lot more sense now then doesn't it...

Its really not a big deal, and there is no real need for all the dramatics. I did the same thing in the page prior and got called on it. I responded with touche because he got me and moved on. Some people just dont like getting called out when they incorrectly state what they are trying to say. It happens, deal with it, or dont post. No need to be all huffy about it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Go outside and get some air DB. You are getting pretty stuffy over there.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Go outside and get some air DB. You are getting pretty stuffy over there.
    I am already outside, Im waiting on MARTA to get here. But what the heck are you talking about?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by don137
    I think it is a ballsy move but it will cost them more then a 4th round pick. There are salary cap repercussions from this as well. The Jets were close to the salary cap and now will have to re-do contracts and cut players to make everything work. By re-doing some contracts it can really come back to hurt them down the road because they will not have as much money to re-sign some of their own players.
    I know the pick is conditional, but for the price it is a great move for them. They might have to rework contracts and figure out the cap ramifications, but they must have thought about that before pulling the trigger on this deal. It is not like they made this decision in a 24 hour window, this has been a possbility for 2-3 weeks now.

I hope for our sake this falls apart and Favre flops with the Jets. At least, as a result, we'll be getting some additional national press coverage when we play the Jets.

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi
    jesus christ patmoran which building are you gonna jump off? farve makes the jets better maybe in week 6 not september. and it doesn't make us long shots. dude u need to chill the hell our
    HE make them better tommorow.

And we dont play them til week 9.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy
    I am already outside, Im waiting on MARTA to get here. But what the heck are you talking about?
    Name dropping MARTA thinking we will ask who she is....

MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Name dropping MARTA thinking we will ask who she is....

MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority
    Who the hell would ever name their kid MARTA? Also why would I put a name of somebody all in caps?

Im taking the train to the Capitol building, its the easiest/most efficient way for me to get there and allows me to use my laptop as I wait, or in this case now as I ride on the train.