Thread: NFL Officiating Problem that needs correcting

Thanks
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,488 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

NFL Officiating Problem that needs correcting

The last play of the game could have turned out to be devastating and wrong had Jacksonville maintained possession of the ball after the review.
    As you all recall what happened was the Bills got the ball back with 3 secs left. Game over. Not quite. If Jac would not have fumbled the ball and maintained possession, game over. They could never have gotten another play off with 3 secs left.
    Yet it wasn't.
    Now don't get me wrong they made the proper call. Ilegal forward pass, penalty, 10 secs wound down, game over. I was screaming that at the time.
    However, had they somehow ruled that it wasn't a fumble they would have most likely allowed Jacksonville to line up quickly at the LOS and snap the ball with 3 secs left. What else could they do? There is no rule for this type of issue. The ref has to decide when to start the clock and you know they will be at LOS waiting. Meantime there was no way in hell they could have gotten to the LOS in 3 secs.
    The NFL has to seriously look into this because it could have potentially cost us the game and unfairly so, and is a huge loophole in their rules.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: NFL Officiating Problem that needs correcting

There was a few in other games as well. The preseason was loaded with now calls as well.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That and it absolutely sucks to be a SD fan right now.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Oaf
    That and it absolutely sucks to be a SD fan right now.
    Agreed. With Ed Hochuli's giant mistake we don't need to talk about hypotheticals. Right there he gave the game to the Broncos.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf
    The last play of the game could have turned out to be devastating and wrong had Jacksonville maintained possession of the ball after the review.
    As you all recall what happened was the Bills got the ball back with 3 secs left. Game over. Not quite. If Jac would not have fumbled the ball and maintained possession, game over. They could never have gotten another play off with 3 secs left.
    Yet it wasn't.
    Now don't get me wrong they made the proper call. Ilegal forward pass, penalty, 10 secs wound down, game over. I was screaming that at the time.
    However, had they somehow ruled that it wasn't a fumble they would have most likely allowed Jacksonville to line up quickly at the LOS and snap the ball with 3 secs left. What else could they do? There is no rule for this type of issue. The ref has to decide when to start the clock and you know they will be at LOS waiting. Meantime there was no way in hell they could have gotten to the LOS in 3 secs.
    The NFL has to seriously look into this because it could have potentially cost us the game and unfairly so, and is a huge loophole in their rules.

I think this is incorrect. If it wasn't a fumble, I don't think they would have allowed Jacksonville to line up. I believe they would have just said the game is over

Although I'm not positive, I've seen similar situations in the past. The Jags would not have gotten a free play.

However, on another note, the Chargers got robbed.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Excellent point Turf. That was have been jacked. Going from the time running out on them, to getting a free timeout for a review. It wouldn't have been good.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Thanks
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,488 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Lexwhat
    I think this is incorrect. If it wasn't a fumble, I don't think they would have allowed Jacksonville to line up. I believe they would have just said the game is over

Although I'm not positive, I've seen similar situations in the past. The Jags would not have gotten a free play.

However, on another note, the Chargers got robbed.
    Oh yeah the Sabres, I mean Chargers got robbed.

But going back to your reply, I really think they have no rule for this, and they would have allowed them to line up and snap the ball. How could they not? When does the ref start the clock? He can't recreate the player position and make them run into formation.
    Imagine Jacksonville throwing a Hail Mary TD after a call like that. This place would be going bonkers.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i dont know why they challenged it anyways. game over either way. if its a fumble, we take over with 3 seconds left. if he was down, no way they get the play off in time. this is a loophole and the league needs to fix it.